Notices

Boost . . . . where did it Go?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost . . . . where did it Go?

finally finished up tightening everything lastnight, and took my car out for a spin, just cruising to break in the enw turbo since I have not driven my car much lately. I hit the highway and did a quick little run, I can feel my car pulling hard as hell, but nothing is registering on my boost gauge.

I got my boost gauge, blow off valve, and tial wastegate t'd off the FPR
Turbonetics T3/T4 turbo.

I'm sure it's possible I have a leak some palce, but if I have a leak why would it be pulling so hard?

the pressure reading on that quick run on my vafc for some reason was @ 0.00 at idle it's usually -530 to -545

any help is greatly appreciated
Old 04-18-2004, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boost . . . . where did it Go? (Vtec92Civic)

well first of all it sounds like your vafc has wiring issues, or something is wrong with your MAP if it says your at 0.00 at idle. When your car is idleing what does your mech. boost guage say? does it even move or is it just not showing boost?
Old 04-18-2004, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Boost . . . . where did it Go? (Cruiser G)

You connected your vaccum lines from the map sensor incorrectly. Same problem with mine. I moved my vaccum source to the intake manifold. Registered boost afterwards.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boost . . . . where did it Go? (Cruiser G)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cruiser G &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well first of all it sounds like your vafc has wiring issues, or something is wrong with your MAP if it says your at 0.00 at idle. When your car is idleing what does your mech. boost guage say? does it even move or is it just not showing boost?</TD></TR></TABLE>

either I worded something wrong because I was to tired or something . . . . I just did another run tonight cruising and then hit the highway.

at idle I usually read -530 to -545-ish sometimes it can be around -600 when I get down on the throttle to make a run on the highway the pressure hits 0.00 on the vafc and that is about it it does not go into the positive #'s like I believe that it should.

My boost gauge is setup in the same spot that it was for my last setup and it has been connected since november and it is not reading any boost at all.
Could I possibly have a leak? Some of the pipes arn't clean cut so they arn't flush up against eachother but theya re connected with silicone couplers.

Do I maybe have my Tial wastegte hooked up wrong ( I doubt it ) or wait just thought of this.

My turbo has a 5 bolt exhaust housing and it has that little hole so you can convert it to an internally gated turbo, but I am not running a downpipe right now so that hole is completely open and letting out exhaust gas which could maybe be why I am not building up boost?

My last turbo setup my internally gated mitsubish eclipse turbo had a wastegate that was stuck a little open and that caused me to not boost really anything more then 1-2psi, but when we got it closed I was boosting 11psi big difference

any and all help is still more then welcome.

Thanks guys for the help so far
Old 04-19-2004, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 04-19-2004, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mOrNiNg BuMp
Old 04-19-2004, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

are you running a missing link on your map sensor?

you say you teed your boost gauge, BOV, WG off your FPR, you are going from intake manifold to the system of T's to the FPR right? IE there is a pressure source somewhere right?

Do you have any CELs?

Also what turbo manifold? You are running without a downpipe right? do you have a dumptube?
Old 04-19-2004, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Boost . . . . where did it Go? (seen4ever)

Check all your charge piping for a boost leak. You might feel like you're pulling hard but I had a loose pipe that caused me to boost right around 0.00-0.02 on my SAFC but no more no matter what gear/what throttle- it felt like a lot more than what it was, check those. Run the car, pop your hood, and pull on the throttle cable with one hand and put your hand over the piping connections with your other hand and look for a breeze.

Wastegate could be stuck open too.