Notices

boost with thicker head gasket.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost with thicker head gasket.

well guys i have a type r turbo and right now i am boosting 5 psi on stock internal and i was thinking about getting a3 inch cometic head gasket for now and boost about 10 psi on it. i am tuning it with hondata s300and i was just wondeirng about u guys experience with that head gasket and how much boost on it. thanks guys.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:18 AM

Default Re: boost with thicker head gasket. (jdm2teg)

any one ?
Old 12-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Really you could boost 10psi without getting a thicker headgasket if it's tuned properly.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm2teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well guys i have a type r turbo and right now i am boosting 5 psi on stock internal and i was thinking about getting a3 inch cometic head gasket for now and boost about 10 psi on it. i am tuning it with hondata s300and i was just wondeirng about u guys experience with that head gasket and how much boost on it. thanks guys. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i think you mean 3mm. unless you want 0.5:1 compression
any way i agree with ryan properly tuned you can run 10psi with out changing the headgasket
Old 12-03-2005, 12:15 AM

Default Re: boost with thicker head gasket. (7k rdlne)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 7k rdlne &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think you mean 3mm. unless you want 0.5:1 compression
any way i agree with ryan properly tuned you can run 10psi with out changing the headgasket</TD></TR></TABLE>
opps sorry i ment 3 mm and you guys are saying i can boost 10 psi with properly tuned on stock type r. i am not sure about that. i was thinking stock gsr with 10 psi is more like it . but i am not quite sure.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm2teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
opps sorry i ment 3 mm and you guys are saying i can boost 10 psi with properly tuned on stock type r. i am not sure about that. i was thinking stock gsr with 10 psi is more like it . but i am not quite sure. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well you wouldn't be the first one to do it, that's for sure.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:30 PM

Default Re: boost with thicker head gasket. (RyanCivic2000)

i am going to stay on the safe side and boost 10-15 psi when i get the headgasket and the head studs.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:50 PM

Oye, another person saying they don't want to boost xx amount without even looking at the horsepower developed . I could boost 15PSI on your STOCK motor and you'd be fine. I'd have to run it pig rich and run excessive retard, but you wouldn't make the power to blow anything up. On the other hand, anyone can blow your motor at 7PSI with an incorrect tune. 40 even 50PSI of boost won't hurt your engine when the explosion in the engine is 600+PSI.....it's how it explodes is the key (tunning). Do you want more lag and more wear on your turbo instead of your engine being efficient....whatever. A headgasket is nice, but certainley not necessary. GL
Old 12-06-2005, 10:09 PM

Default Re: boost with thicker head gasket. (adseguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adseguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oye, another person saying they don't want to boost xx amount without even looking at the horsepower developed . I could boost 15PSI on your STOCK motor and you'd be fine. I'd have to run it pig rich and run excessive retard, but you wouldn't make the power to blow anything up. On the other hand, anyone can blow your motor at 7PSI with an incorrect tune. 40 even 50PSI of boost won't hurt your engine when the explosion in the engine is 600+PSI.....it's how it explodes is the key (tunning). Do you want more lag and more wear on your turbo instead of your engine being efficient....whatever. A headgasket is nice, but certainley not necessary. GL</TD></TR></TABLE>
my car is rich as expletive and not making that much hp. i was boosting 10 psi on stock c5 block and now i turned it down. only because type rs are high comp and everybody knows they can only handle about 6-7 on stock internals unless you run rich. i dont want to be runing rich where i cant make much power. i will turn up the boost once i get the thicker headgasket or the pistons in my motor.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:32 PM

why were you running rich? The tune was off? Also, I don't agree with them running only 6-7 on stock internals. If they are making 300-320whp on 6-7PSI then yes I do agree, but otherwise the PSI doesn't matter as much as the timing and fueling vaules o make that desired HP. My question is why get a larger headgasket? Are you trying to make serious power on pump gas? If the answer is to be safer, then truely all you need is a tune by a competant tuner and not a headgasket. Run as much boost need to get 300whp safely (ignition timing is the key here) and you'll be set. GL
Old 12-07-2005, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm2teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
my car is rich as expletive and not making that much hp. i was boosting 10 psi on stock c5 block and now i turned it down. only because type rs are high comp and everybody knows they can only handle about 6-7 on stock internals unless you run rich. i dont want to be runing rich where i cant make much power. i will turn up the boost once i get the thicker headgasket or the pistons in my motor. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What? Find someone who knows what they're doing to tune your car. You don't have to run rich to run higher compression. It's the timing that matters with high comp. Also, as adseguy said, psi has nothing to do with it. It's the tune and how much power you're making.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:15 AM

Default Re: boost with thicker head gasket. (RyanCivic2000)

cool guys thanks for this good info