Notices

Boost leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost leak

alright i seem to have a leak or a problem with my wastegate. i just rebuilt a d16y8 block with vitara pistons, hasting rings, tuner toys i beam rods, acl bearings and a kms block guard. the head is still stock. the problem that i am having is that before i did the rebuild it held boost with no probelm. even with the internal gate on the garret t3(.42/.48 A/R) it held a rock steady 7 psi. on this setup it was mini-me with a t3 turbo(same one i am using now), hf manifold, 12:1 fmu, rx-7 bosch bov, and a cca intercooler. needless to say i destroyed that motor with the fmu. now i am runnign the y8 setup with dsm 450's, crome, 2.5bar map sensor and a greddy type-rs bov. that is all i changed from the last setup.

now when we were doing street tuning for part throttle so i can drive the car it was only set to 3 psi which it was running fine. so after the street tuning we finally made it to the dyno and when we tried to turn up the boost it would only stay at 3-4.5 psi. i cranked the boost controller all the way up, removed the vaccum line from the wastegate and even tried holding the actuator closed while on the dyno but it still wouldn't make more than 4 psi. all of the hose clamps and connectors are fine because i didn't disconnect them at all throughout the rebuild except for the one that goes to the tb and the one that goes to the turbo and those are all tight. i listened for leaks everywhere and can't seem to find anything.

i remember one time with my old setup that i placed my hand over the compressor inlet and it sucked my hand right in and the car almost shut off due to the lack of air, but today i tried the same thing and there was barely any vacuum. the motor is in really good shape and on my boos gauge i reads about 20-21 hg's of vaccum. even my tuner said that that was pretty good and that the motor seemed fine. the only thing that is in my head right now that i might be the wastegate flapper hole. i think it might be cracked but wouldn't i have noticed it going out with the old motor or does it just go out suddenly(which i doubt)

if anyone has had a similar problem let me know. i am also going to do the pressure test thing today with the air valve in a piece of pvc with a hose coupler.

edit: oh and btw if you are wondering why it says that i have a lsvtec, i don't this is vtec94civic's brother.