Notices

BOOST CREEP

Old 04-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOOST CREEP

huge issues today at the track. couldnt even get one clean run in.

here is my setup;
stock b16 block/head
AEBS intake mani
cast exhaust mani [i know, i know]
holset he351cw turbo [info on the turbo http://www.turbododge.com/foru....html
ebay 38mm WG w/ 7psi spring [working condition]
3" downpipe/exhaust it ends right past the linkage

i did a real rough tune after all the problems i had with the 1k injectors to be ready for the track day today. i noticed the boost was creeping up to 8.5 and sometimes 9psi AT THE MOST. it didnt bother me much so i left it as is.
today on the way to the track i installed my MBC that i also know that it works flawlessly. it held 20psi last year rock solid. but today i couldnt get it to hold ANYTHING ! i was looking to run 12psi at the track but on the way there it kept hitting boost cut which was set at 13.75psi.
i tried everything that i could think of but nothing would get me even close to my 12psi goal. i even took everything out of the WG and it still overboosted.
only thing that got me somewhat close to 12psi was loosening the screw in the MBC [no spring or ball inside] as much as i could with out it falling out and by doing so it read between 12-13psi in 3/4 gear.
when i came to the track and looked over some of those logs i noticed i was only getting between 90-94% throttle. i corrected that with eCtune's TPS calibration (so easy) and it then read 99-101%.
i did a run hitting boost cut left and right. second run i took the MBC off and it STILL kept overboosting i then raised the boost cut to 16psi and sure as **** it still hit it. i took the WG apart and everything seemed fine, no holes, loose screws or anything out of the ordinary. WG signal is coming right of off the nipple on the comp housing that the stock internal WG uses.

talked to Jake Montgomery [current fastest 4cylinder in the NW] and he said it might be the size of the turbo combined with the not so good exhaust manifold and relatively low boost.

your thoughts opinions ?

oh, and sorry for the novel.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here is the pic of the setup.

manifold is a REAL revhard or so the seller told me.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (zex_cool)

did u try to run the boostcontroller to the top of the wategate?
Old 04-12-2008, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boosted k20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted k20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did u try to run the boostcontroller to the top of the wategate?</TD></TR></TABLE> no, i didnt. doesnt that port keep the WG closed ??
Old 04-12-2008, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (boosted k20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted k20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did u try to run the boostcontroller to the top of the wategate?</TD></TR></TABLE>

MBC = manual boost controller. You never use the top port with one of those.

I've seen 'working' ebay WG's that would bind halfway through their travel. The main problems are the spring is too wide for the housing, and that sometimes the shaft isn't smooth enough. Add an extra thousand degrees, and that spring will really bind, along with that shaft. Take the WG apart, and see how much play there is between it and the tophat. There should be a minimum of 1/16".
Old 04-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (zex_cool)

Uhh.. you're risking a nice setup with an eBay WG... crazy! Get a Tial.. Theres my flame, but as far as helpful information I don't have any, sorry.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HiProfile)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've seen 'working' ebay WG's that would bind halfway through their travel. The main problems are the spring is too wide for the housing, and that sometimes the shaft isn't smooth enough. Add an extra thousand degrees, and that spring will really bind, along with that shaft. Take the WG apart, and see how much play there is between it and the tophat. There should be a minimum of 1/16".</TD></TR></TABLE>
ill do that tomorrow...well actually....

i have one spare 7psi spring from one of these WG's that exploded on me last year. [my fault, i didnt take it apart and put loctite on the 4 little screws ] ill measure both and give it a world.

thank you.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

i took everything apart today and everything still seemed normal. with the top part of the WG off i moved it up and down by hand and could hear air escaping somewhere. i took the little butt connector off to replace it with the a little bigger one. the one i used was kind of small but the only one i had. when i looked at it closely i noticed that it had some sort of a restrictor in it.

i replaced it with a "normal" one and my problem went away. i also put in a softer spring into my MBC and surprisingly it worked. only thing i cant explain is why it overboosted without the ball and spring inside. but hey, cant explain everything in one day. lol boost kind of flaxuets[sp] 1-1.5psi through the rpms but thats a problem for another day.

i only thought it was a right thing to do....

Old 04-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol glad to see you got it fixed
Old 04-14-2008, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fast2camciv)

haha, nice bbq.

I have a video of one of your runs, but I doubt you wanna see it...

Old 04-14-2008, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dmotoguy)

haha which one ? i hope its not the one where i was wheel hopping like a ****. i have all of them but the anti-lag is the only thing worth watching.

stupid boosted 15 second hondas.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

better than the boosted del sol i watched run 17.7's lol