Notices

Boost creep....

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boost creep....

I am piecing together a turbo kit and am trying to take into consideration the likely hood of boost creep. I see most setups all start creeping towards redline. I am looking to run 8lbs of boost, MAX 280hp on a stock b16. Its going in a crx with a 2.5" down pipe and a 60mm exhaust which is fairly small for a turbo. I am looking at the t3-t04e 57 trim .60 cold and .63 hot just because it seems so popular.

This turbo is efficient to 450whp. I will be no where near there so should i get a smaller turbo that flows less to reduce the likely hood of boost creep? What turbo is slightly smaller that would be good?

What side effects will the smaller exhaust create?

Will a 38mm wastgate be okay or should i just go for a 44mm?

Which manifolds are more known to cause boost creep? ram horn, log, equal length, topmount ect..?

Thanks
Old 04-28-2006, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manifolds dont cause creep.
Wastegates, o2 housings and exhausts cause it.

if you have a wastegate passage that is more restrictive then the normal turbo gass path thats what creep is. the exhaust gasses will go towards the more free flow area (turbine wheel) and cause you to keep boosting.

most external wastgates cure crrep like nobodys business tho.
and 8psi creeping to what? 9-10?
you'll still be fine.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (I_HATE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I_HATE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Manifolds dont cause creep.
Wastegates, o2 housings and exhausts cause it.

if you have a wastegate passage that is more restrictive then the normal turbo gass path thats what creep is. the exhaust gasses will go towards the more free flow area (turbine wheel) and cause you to keep boosting.

most external wastgates cure crrep like nobodys business tho.
and 8psi creeping to what? 9-10?
you'll still be fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought that placement of where the wastgate bolts to on the manifold is what leads to boost creep. If the wastgate is placed poorly air will tend to follow the exhaust and turbine and not go out the wastegate. And I have read certain types of manifolds are prone to having poor wastegate placement, but i cant remeber which.

I have seen 38mm wastegages set to 8 psi creep to almost 11. Thats pretty significant to me. Thats why I was looking at a 44mm but i am not sure. I would just like to be able to boost 8 and hold it until redline.

Thanks