Notices

Boost controller

Old 05-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Icon2 Boost controller

I am going to pick up a manual boost controller in a bit... Gonna run the vacuum nipple inbetween the BOV and intake manifold, and the other nipple to the wastegate, so I have two questions.

My wg has 2 ports. The lower nipple is connected to the compressor housing, and the nipple on top is open, should I plug the boost controller to the top of the wastegate, or on the side?

I was running 10lb spring when I got tuned, but the guy insisted I ran the 7 psi because I'm not running head studs. Am I ok to install the boost controller and run 8 or 9 psi safely, tune wise. And what do yall think about 10psi with my turbo without head studs, can I run it safely?

Thanks for any knowledge
Old 05-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Boost controller

Whats the CFM for that turbo?

You do know that once you set the tune for a certain PSI, if you turn it up, your adding more air.. So once your tuned, leave it alone.

As far as running 10psi w/o studs is a crap shoot. If your tuner is reputable and not some jackass with a laptop, Id listen to him. Yea, its been done before on other peoples build, but this is your build.
Untill you invest some $$ in studs and rod bolts, and any other parts needed for higher boost, Id take his advice.

450's might be limiting performance too..
Old 05-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

psi doesnt matter here, what matters is hp level keep your car at 300 whp on stock block to be safe, i personally am gonna put mine to 330. at 10 psi i was 302 at 12 im at 314 im hoping with the recent changes ive made i can get to 330 with one more pound.

your 450s are pretty much maxed out right around 320 so if i was you i would just pop in a 12 pound spring which will probably be closer to 10 or 11 (grab a 10 just in case its too high) tune and enjoy.

for the boost conrtoller i had mine set up using only the bottom side of the wg which my tuner said would work but didnt hold well, we then hooked it up using both top and bottom ports on the wg and it works great.

u have a setup that will make a good 300, shoot for that when u get tuned, i think you'll be surprised what 300 feels like on the street, granted u will want more soon but that always seems to be the case with everyone lol.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiterice-gsr
psi doesnt matter here, what matters is hp level keep your car at 300 whp on stock block to be safe, i personally am gonna put mine to 330. at 10 psi i was 302 at 12 im at 314 im hoping with the recent changes ive made i can get to 330 with one more pound.

your 450s are pretty much maxed out right around 320 so if i was you i would just pop in a 12 pound spring which will probably be closer to 10 or 11 (grab a 10 just in case its too high) tune and enjoy.

for the boost conrtoller i had mine set up using only the bottom side of the wg which my tuner said would work but didnt hold well, we then hooked it up using both top and bottom ports on the wg and it works great.

u have a setup that will make a good 300, shoot for that when u get tuned, i think you'll be surprised what 300 feels like on the street, granted u will want more soon but that always seems to be the case with everyone lol.

Thats where I'm at now. I want more power. 7 psi isn't cuttin it!

Did you or do you have arp head studs when you were at 300whp? I have a 10lb spring. So if I throw that spring in, does the tuner have to play with it? He said I am running a tad bitch rich at WOT, around 12.0-12.5.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tune it to 11.5 a/f and turn the boost up with a modest timing map the stock.motors hold 4-450 no problem.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can follow these directions when installing the MBC. See Page 2 for external wg install
http://www.turbosmartusa.com/wp-cont...01-1001-BT.pdf

you should not tee into a vac line. compressor hosuing -> mbc -> wg lower port. wg top port stays open
Old 05-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would say 400 - 450 is not safe stock block. i would say that 350 is max stock block. it can be done yes but wont last.

my motor is bone stock not even head studs man. i drive my car like i stole it everyday and usually drive about 200 km a day. i make 314 whp right now. i personally am gonna retune one more time with some changes ive made get it to 330whp and leave it there until i build the block this winter then im gonna add either a surfer or a 3030r into the mix and shoot for 450-480ish
Old 05-13-2012, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PFI_NAYR_ONE
Tune it to 11.5 a/f and turn the boost up with a modest timing map the stock.motors hold 4-450 no problem.
for longevity those levels might be overstated, but your tuning philosophy is pretty dead on. i dont tune a lot of cars but between me and my friends/local ive got a few dozen under my belt and thats pretty much what i do with them. mid 11s in boost and somewhere around 1 degree out per psi give or take a bit for the specific setup.

if you pull the vacuum source for the mbc from the manifold then it is as accurate to what pressure the engine is actually seeing. just make sure its the only thing in its line and you dont have like 3 other sources pulled from the same hose.

travis - it seems like you got it tuned on 10 psi then it was backed down for daily driving. heres my advice: get that afr down to 11.5-12.0, perhaps close the plug gap by .002 from where its at currently and boost up to 10 psi. MAJOR ISSUE POTENTIAL- if you are on a stock map sensor with a boost cut set (i sure hope you have a boost cut set) then its not going to be able to boost above 10 psi. i like to set my boost cuts at 9 something psi for stock map sensor setups to account for cooler nights.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blackeg

travis - it seems like you got it tuned on 10 psi then it was backed down for daily driving. heres my advice: get that afr down to 11.5-12.0, perhaps close the plug gap by .002 from where its at currently and boost up to 10 psi. MAJOR ISSUE POTENTIAL- if you are on a stock map sensor with a boost cut set (i sure hope you have a boost cut set) then its not going to be able to boost above 10 psi. i like to set my boost cuts at 9 something psi for stock map sensor setups to account for cooler nights.
Agreed.