Notices

Blowing smoke and oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 05:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blowing smoke and oil

i tried a search and did not find what i was looking for. i recently had my turbo rebuilt by precision since i was burning oil and leaking it out the tail pipe. the motor was not using the oil, the plugs were clean, and the header looked clean. i could see oil seeping out between the dp and the turbo, that is why i did the rebuild. i get the turbo back and i am going through the same ordeal. the return line goes straight to the top port on the moroso pan. after talking with some people, i was told that i had too much base pressure and needed a minimum of at leat 1 5/8" vent line for the motor. i was told that due to the restrictive vent that i have now the base pressure is pressurizing my return line causing my oil leakage problem. i did get oil on the intake side as well.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Blowing smoke and oil (quick26)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quick26 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i tried a search and did not find what i was looking for. i recently had my turbo rebuilt by precision since i was burning oil and leaking it out the tail pipe. the motor was not using the oil, the plugs were clean, and the header looked clean. i could see oil seeping out between the dp and the turbo, that is why i did the rebuild. i get the turbo back and i am going through the same ordeal. the return line goes straight to the top port on the moroso pan. after talking with some people, i was told that i had too much base pressure and needed a minimum of at leat 1 5/8" vent line for the motor. i was told that due to the restrictive vent that i have now the base pressure is pressurizing my return line causing my oil leakage problem. i did get oil on the intake side as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Very true...the bigger the better and also as high as you can go in the oil pan for the return line because when you brake...the oil will go forward, towards your return line. This is a very common problem and alot of people assume its the turbo seals.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Blowing smoke and oil (PHDZINE)

i have the return as high as i can get it, and i even pulled the line and let the excess oil run out the fitting, and made a mark on the dipstick for the new full mark. its a moroso pan so i still have roughly 4 1/2 qts in it.

i will try the dual vent set up, i was reading about it in the welding and fab section.

Modified by quick26 at 9:07 AM 12/12/2007
Old 12-12-2007, 01:36 PM

anyone else have any input?
Old 12-15-2007, 09:55 AM

adding the vents to the valve cover fixed it.