Blow Off Valve Problems, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 01:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blow Off Valve Problems, HELP!

car: 06 rsx type s
greddy turbo kit w/intercooler

i welded the flange and bolted up the bov (throttlebody side) on the charge pipe. when i spool up and let off...nothing, i had a friend rev it up for me, no air comes out of the bov. any ideas?

bov is welded on the charge pipe, throttle body side. vacuum line goes from the bov and t's into one off the intake manifold.

thanks in advance guys
Old 06-01-2007, 02:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You weld the bov to the charge pipe? Or you will a flange for the bov to your charge pipe? I never heard of anybody weld a bov to a charge pipe other than the bov flange.
Are you getting compression surge? Try adjusting the bov to the softer setting and make sure your vacuum source is good.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Blow Off Valve Problems, HELP! (asianeric)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by asianeric &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">car: 06 rsx type s
greddy turbo kit w/intercooler

i welded the flange and bolted up the bov (throttlebody side) on the charge pipe. when i spool up and let off...nothing, i had a friend rev it up for me, no air comes out of the bov. any ideas?

bov is welded on the charge pipe, throttle body side. vacuum line goes from the bov and t's into one off the intake manifold. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i would try to take the T you have out of the equation first cuz it's prolly the easiest thing to do with minimal wrenching. double check all of your vaccuum lines going to your intake manfold as well to make sure there are no leaks occuring that might cause a vaccuum issue.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turb20_vtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turb20_vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You weld the bov to the charge pipe? Or you will a flange for the bov to your charge pipe? I never heard of anybody weld a bov to a charge pipe other than the bov flange.
Are you getting compression surge? Try adjusting the bov to the softer setting and make sure your vacuum source is good.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

no, that's stupid, lol...im just summing it up. obviously the flange is welded to the charge pipe, then the bov is bolted with the gasket to the flange. i said that in my first post. we tried the bov really soft, and really hard, and a couple in between...so difference, nothing is coming out.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jz98ctr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i would try to take the T you have out of the equation first cuz it's prolly the easiest thing to do with minimal wrenching. double check all of your vaccuum lines going to your intake manfold as well to make sure there are no leaks occuring that might cause a vaccuum issue.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok, yeah i'll try n take the T out. there didn't seem like any leaks, i checked 3 or 4 times. the vacuum line from the bov to the intake manifold...what does that do? i've seen a lot of cars with that hooked up, and some without...maybe ours should be without?

anyways, thanks so far guys, very helpful. still need to find an answer. i'll test it out today. thanks guys
Old 06-01-2007, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (asianeric)

which bov do you have? are you getting boost at all? the type s has 2 nipples and usually only the one is used. switch vacuum hose to the other nipple if you arent using it and try it then
Old 06-01-2007, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (g23_ej1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by g23_ej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">which bov do you have? are you getting boost at all? the type s has 2 nipples and usually only the one is used. switch vacuum hose to the other nipple if you arent using it and try it then</TD></TR></TABLE>

its the greddy type s, it only has 1 nipple, it is boosting perfect, everything else is working fine. i thought about that too, but this one only has one to tap into
Old 06-01-2007, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where do you have the T for your BOV hooked up???

i'm assuming that you prolly have the Greddy RS style BOV that would've come with the kit. most BOVs have 2 ports...double check that you have vaccuum hooked up to the proper port on the BOV. you also have to be careful as to the type of hose that you are using for the vaccuum reference for your BOV. if you're using cheap hoses with thin walls...what tends to happen is that the vaccuum coming from the IM sucks on that hose so hard that it collapses and flattens it out so the BOV never even sees vaccuum at all!!! so i would definitely take a look at that as well. basically take the hose off of the BOV and see if you can easily flatten by squeezing it...if you can then you'd want to run with some thicker walled hoses.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by asianeric &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

its the greddy type s, it only has 1 nipple, it is boosting perfect, everything else is working fine. i thought about that too, but this one only has one to tap into </TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont think ive ever seen a type s with only 1 nipple?
Old 06-01-2007, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by g23_ej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i dont think ive ever seen a type s with only 1 nipple?</TD></TR></TABLE>

ur right....see im asking cuz its my roommates car, when i had the greddy type s, mine had the upper straight nipple, and the angled downward nipple under the hat. let me go out to the garage and look at his. i think the one he actually bought was for the wrx, cuz it came with extra piping that matches wut comes for the wrx one. would that be why?
Old 06-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, so here is the 'standard' type s...

the nipple with the x, we don't have that one...

we only have the one that i pointed to with the arrow, which im assuming is wut is keeping it closed, no? should i just disconnect that vacuum line?

here are actual pics of ours

Old 06-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

omg, u won't believe this, my roomate ****** left off the other nipple...he didn't hook it up, stupid, i just thought about it and looked in the box...lol thanks guys, u solved it g23_ej1...

nipple ftmfw, lol
Old 06-01-2007, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good to hear..
Old 06-01-2007, 01:34 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

reading all the posts, that was my thought, and it is PROBABLY DAMN IT. NOT PROLLY.