Notices

blow by from hell

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blow by from hell

just got thu install drag gen2 kit on my friend integra, everything hook up right and changed the pvc valve, the old one was bad. still getting at lot smoke (blue/white, and some black) its oil catch can must have? the kit is set on 7psi.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: blow by from hell

did it just start when you put the kit on??? i seen a guy with a rsx that had his hose coming off his valvecover going to his charge piping and it was feeding boost in the crankcase and made it smoke like crazy.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does it smoke during acceleration? was the turbo kit new? eng management?? tuning?????
Old 08-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no the kit was used, no stock on everything, just the way drag gen2 kit came in, inline fuel pump and fmu(fpr) 7psi wastegate, hook up the way it does, but yes he was smoking a little,
we thought is ring, but did compresson check it was fine. he using oil too. but it only smoke when he accel, no smoke on idle, no smoke on start up. so thinking may be pcv, and when i was taking the pvc valve off(crankcase) it was cover with oil. i look at the crankcase box to pvc. it have oil all over it.
we plan on rebuilding the engine with forged internal in a month, and get injector and get it tune.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by crxb16a90
no the kit was used, no stock on everything, just the way drag gen2 kit came in, inline fuel pump and fmu(fpr) 7psi wastegate, hook up the way it does, but yes he was smoking a little,
we thought is ring, but did compresson check it was fine. he using oil too. but it only smoke when he accel, no smoke on idle, no smoke on start up. so thinking may be pcv, and when i was taking the pvc valve off(crankcase) it was cover with oil. i look at the crankcase box to pvc. it have oil all over it.
we plan on rebuilding the engine with forged internal in a month, and get injector and get it tune.
so you installed the kit but it hasnt been tuned yet? what fuel management are you running? if it hasnt been tuned stop driving the car..tow to dyno and have it tuned properly
Old 08-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, is a drag gen2 kit, which only use fuel pressure rasier and inline fuel pump, 7lb kit, it design that way(is not something i put together, is the way it come from drag company). anything over 7 then would have to run injector and in tank pump and tune, which we going to. but i don't think the blow by have anything do with the tune. something its pushing the smoke thu. hmm, i just thought have something. if i remove the pvc crank case hose to intake manifold, if it stop that mean oil being suck thu. if it continue, possible headgasket, valve seal, rings, but compresson is good, so valve seal possible. gonna do some testing and see.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crxb16a90
ok, is a drag gen2 kit, which only use fuel pressure rasier and inline fuel pump, 7lb kit, it design that way(is not something i put together, is the way it come from drag company). anything over 7 then would have to run injector and in tank pump and tune, which we going to. but i don't think the blow by have anything do with the tune. something its pushing the smoke thu. hmm, i just thought have something. if i remove the pvc crank case hose to intake manifold, if it stop that mean oil being suck thu. if it continue, possible headgasket, valve seal, rings, but compresson is good, so valve seal possible. gonna do some testing and see.
the positive pressure during accel (Boost) would rule out the pcv. most likely its the used turbo which is causing the smoke. those kits typically run pig rich under boost so most likely its not broken ring lands. does the motor have a ton of miles on it??
Old 08-24-2009, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

137k on the clock. yea i thinking some of the smoke is becuz the huge increase on pressure on the fuel system and also running rich. so u saying the pvc valve not affecting on boost.
now i just relize that we still have the pvc vaccumn to the manifold, so if its under boost, isn't the crank case can't vent out?
Old 08-24-2009, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

correct.

take the pcv out and block the intake port so the crank case vents to the atmosphere. see if the smoking changes.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You do understand that fuel pressure with that kit is through the roof and is bound to fail right? If you care about your car I would stop driving it (in boost anyway) until it can be tuned properly.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes, i do relize the chance of failing, but there 2 thing in consideration
we ran same setup on a 99 si b16a, (except it wasnt a used kit)
no tune, no piggy back. it see 60k hard miles and still running(10psi). i think 7psi would be fine for now, as long my friend is respecting the car.
second in 1 month we are taking whole motor apart and fully built the motor and going bigger injector, fuel pump all that good sht, going to tune with crome, with wideband and EGT. so i think this motor will last him for a month