Notices

Block guard with stock boost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Block guard with stock boost?

Hey,
i just ordered my Drag Gen III kit from dragturbokits.com and they threw in a free block guard. Now my question is do I really need to put this block guard in? Even with stock boost levels, would it HURT to have it? What I mean is that would I only benefit from it, not have problems, more of a safeguard for my engine incase something goes wrong. Thank for your help.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:31 PM

well if installed properly the blockguard is a decent investment but it seems like i hear more horror stories everyday about them. (egg shaped cylinder walls) you can run your kit on 7 psi without installing it
Old 08-28-2003, 11:59 PM

If you put it in wrong it will ruin your sleeves. If you put it in right it will maybe save your motor from detonation which you shouldnt see from stock boost levels anyways.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nevin)

try to sale it
Old 08-29-2003, 06:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Block guard with stock boost? (Hoodwinked)

I think the whole "egg shaped cylinder walls" is rediculous.
Which do you think is more likely to distort? the soft aluminum of the block
guard, and outer engine block, or the cylinder sleeve?
You would have to forcibly hammer in a guard that was nowhere near close
to fitting, to put that much pressure on the walls. Block guards are designed
to just drop into place, with a few taps from a mallet. If its a decent guard,
you shouldnt have to worry about it. All blocks are slightly different, but
it doesnt take a rocket scientist to sligtly modify one that isnt installing smoothly.

Just my opinion.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:45 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (nevin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nevin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you put it in right it will maybe save your motor from detonation which you shouldnt see from stock boost levels anyways.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How does it protect against detonation? Sounds like it would just strengthen your block which wouldnt affect detonation which would still occur inside the cyclinders.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:56 AM

Default Re: (Muckman)

will... im gonna be boosting 7psi soon as well. does adding a blockgaurd help you from blowing headgaskets? cause i just blew mine and so its apart i was thinking of getting one from golden eagle.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:59 AM

Default Re: (DXturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DXturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">will... im gonna be boosting 7psi soon as well. does adding a blockgaurd help you from blowing headgaskets? cause i just blew mine and so its apart i was thinking of getting one from golden eagle. </TD></TR></TABLE>

no, maybe you should invest in some ARP or AEBS head bolts and use copper spray
Old 08-29-2003, 08:02 AM

Default Re: (DXturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DXturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">will... im gonna be boosting 7psi soon as well. does adding a blockgaurd help you from blowing headgaskets? cause i just blew mine and so its apart i was thinking of getting one from golden eagle. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was thinking on buying a STR block guard...I hear buying it does save the life but people that know more about the pro's & con's of a block guard please fill me in! UP
Old 08-29-2003, 08:07 AM

Default Re: (Acronym)

if you guys really want to know about blockguards Click Here there are seriously at least 100 posts about them
Old 08-29-2003, 08:15 AM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How does it protect against detonation? Sounds like it would just strengthen your block which wouldnt affect detonation which would still occur inside the cyclinders.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's correct the only thing that prevents detnation is tuning. Running lean conditions will cause detanation.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (HybridcivicLS-T)

here's my .02 cents...i'm running 15psi daily and all i've got is rod/piston/blockgaurd. when on race gas i'm running 17.5-18 psi and having the blockgaurd in gives me some insurance. i don't plan on boosting past 18 psi until my 2 other motors are complete...but hey, if you got it free might as well make some use of it.

oh i've got the STR BG, and it's welded about 1/2" - 3/4" from the top of the block.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (shermanyang)

Block gaurds are the first thing to be put in a motor. Then you must bore/hone the block then isntall your new pistons and rods.

A machine shop installed my friends and they put the block gaurd then mic-d the block and noticed a distortion of the cylinders almost immediatly. So they bored it .5 over and honed it. now its great

you cannot just pull the head and throw a block gaurd in and call it a day.

-ryan
Old 08-31-2003, 08:41 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How does it protect against detonation? Sounds like it would just strengthen your block which wouldnt affect detonation which would still occur inside the cyclinders.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I said protect your motor(sleeves) from detonation(cracking) because it reinforces them, not prevent detonation.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Block guard with stock boost? (rioninja)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rioninja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think the whole "egg shaped cylinder walls" is rediculous.
Which do you think is more likely to distort? the soft aluminum of the block
guard, and outer engine block, or the cylinder sleeve?
You would have to forcibly hammer in a guard that was nowhere near close
to fitting, to put that much pressure on the walls. Block guards are designed
to just drop into place, with a few taps from a mallet. If its a decent guard,
you shouldnt have to worry about it. All blocks are slightly different, but
it doesnt take a rocket scientist to sligtly modify one that isnt installing smoothly.

Just my opinion.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Glad to see someone see things my way. Seriously, how is a little aluminum blockguard going to "egg shape" cylinder walls that are partially made out of steel. Last time I checked, steel was much stronger than aluminum. If anything the blockguard will help hold the cylinder walls in place and PREVENT them from distorting.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Block guard with stock boost? (RyanCivic2000)

i ran a block gaurd (nuformz style) on my del sol with 18X,XXX on it, stock internals at 8psi (D16z6) I had no problems with anything. I took off the head and installed it per factory instructions. put the head back on and called it a day.

do i recomend that… no.
will it be acceptable… yes.

For my new motor i have in my CRX now, (i sold my del sol) I played it the safe way. I installed the STR block gaurd (I personally like this style better than the solid style) before the blokc with bored, to insure proper alignments., and again i have had no problems.

I am a believer in blockgaurds, you could also look into block posting, by itself or in conjunction with a block gaurd to strengthen the block with out sleeves.