Notices

blew pistons.... oil in turbo, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default blew pistons.... oil in turbo, etc.

I just disassembled my b18c... bye bye stock internals. I cracked lands on all 4 pistons (4 Trophies to hang up in the garage). Anyway... the intake side (both in and out sides) of the turbo (te/t4b) has a bunch of oil in it... as well as the exhaust manifold. This oil has traveled down into the intercooler and all the piping on the turbo side of the intercooler. I imagine the oil is due to 4 cracked ring lands.

My question is: can this oil going through the turbo damage it in any way? Is there a way I can diagnose this myself... and if not... is it worth trying to tind someone who can check it out for me?

Also... can someone offer any suggestions on how to clean out my intercooler and piping of the nasty gunk?

Old 04-05-2003, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: blew pistons.... oil in turbo, etc. (servion)

use gasoline to clean the intercooler... put some in, and shish it back and forth, rinse and repeat untill you are satisfied.

your turbocharger should be fine, and ready for more boost.

Good luck.

btw, how'd you blow all 4 ring lands?? FMU?

Brad
Old 04-05-2003, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: blew pistons.... oil in turbo, etc. (lazerus)

Well... I finally got it running right a week ago... I've got a hondata system with a techedge system that I tune myself. I had it tuned previously... but I did not realize that I had an earthing problem... I tuned it on bad readings. Plus, the thing fried on me twice... it seems to be a very tempermental system. I had it running 12:1 under boost ~10psi at 5000feet track last week. It had been burning some oil for a while... and I think it was on its last leg. I'm guessing that even though I finally had it tuned correctly, it just needed being pushed hard (at the track) to go over the edge.

2 of the pistons had hairline cracks in the lands... so I suspect that they may have possibly been there before the big break. It is kind of confusing that they all are now broken... but the plugs looked perfect (indicating a good mixture).
Old 04-06-2003, 12:39 AM

that sucks, i hope it wasnt your daily driver. im knee deep in a rebuild right now so i feel your pain bro. now i guess its time for you to invest in some forged internals
Old 04-06-2003, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well... I finally got it running right a week ago... I've got a hondata system with a techedge system that I tune myself. I had it tuned previously... but I did not realize that I had an earthing problem... I tuned it on bad readings. Plus, the thing fried on me twice... it seems to be a very tempermental system. I had it running 12:1 under boost ~10psi at 5000feet track last week. It had been burning some oil for a while... and I think it was on its last leg. I'm guessing that even though I finally had it tuned correctly, it just needed being pushed hard (at the track) to go over the edge.

2 of the pistons had hairline cracks in the lands... so I suspect that they may have possibly been there before the big break. It is kind of confusing that they all are now broken... but the plugs looked perfect (indicating a good mixture).
How do you have it hooked up to the Hondata? Was your display off with what the Hondalogger said? If so, by how much? Mine seems to be slightly off. About .4 Just curious to what yours is. I am thinking of installing a diode or something. Mine is powered directly off the ECU.

[Modified by ladysman, 8:28 AM 4/6/2003]
Old 04-06-2003, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: blew pistons.... oil in turbo, etc. (ladysman)

yes... the display was off... but I didn't realize it until after running it hard for a few months (ouch). I installed a diode... and I think it's better now. When the wideband is warming up (at first start) it still doesn't read 14.7, it runs great (before it blew, that is)... and the plugs were a beautiful tan color (after driving it normally and running it hard for a few days). Check with a voltmeter, and definitely install a diode if the voltages are different.... your motor will thank you.

To hook it up, I bought a 9-piin serial connector from radioshack and soldered 2 wires to the coresponding ground and signal pins (I forget which pins off hte top of my head, but its easy to find out). I run the ground to a bolt by the ecu, and then run the signal to the O2 signal wire going to the ecu (with a diode inline).