Notices

Blackworks 4 Port Catch Can Drain? Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blackworks 4 Port Catch Can Drain? Need Help

Hey guys I'm running a blackworks 4 port catch can. 2 from valve cover and 2 from the bottom of the block. How do I drain the dam thing!? Need help!
Old 08-21-2015, 09:31 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Blackworks 4 Port Catch Can Drain? Need Help

<p>You remove it, and flip it upside down. &nbsp;Or you fab a drain fitting into the bottom of it. &nbsp;That's what you get when you buy from a no name company.</p>
Old 08-21-2015, 09:38 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

<p>It'd also be a good idea to build a 'oil window' out of some petcocks and some clear tubing so that way you know how full it is.&nbsp;</p>
Old 08-21-2015, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So what would be a good catch can to use?
Old 08-21-2015, 10:02 PM

<p>Anything from a reputable company. &nbsp;Like, literally anything else. &nbsp;APR makes a good one. &nbsp;Go Autoworks has multiple options. &nbsp;Hell, if you want to keep it cheap, you can get a JR Race catch can on Summit for like, $75.</p>
Old 08-21-2015, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any other companies I could look into? I don't mind throwing this POS catch can away and getting another one. Just can't seem to find a good one with 4 ports 10an fittings that have a drain.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:47 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Their catch can isn't designed to be a drain back type. I advise strongly against drain back setups anyways. All you wind up doing is sending the moisture and oil contaminating blow by back into the crankcase. After all the entire purpose of a catch can is to alleviate crankcase pressure and separate moisture and blow by out of the engine oil. You basically shoot yourself in the foot by draining back into the crankcase.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

case in point. this was emptied out my can
Old 08-22-2015, 06:34 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Not a lot but that's a good thing. I emptied a good pint out of a catch can once. 700hp time attack Z06. Guy couldn't figure out why it was missing and would smoke. Catch can was so full under hard cornering and breaking that it was sucking up **** in the can lol.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so can I just add a drain on mine? im not going to drain it back into the engine, that's for sure but is blackworks a good catch can...?
Old 08-22-2015, 07:32 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

You mean like a petcock to drain it into a container? Sure

However I would suggest something like welding an AN fitting to the bottom and using a length of flexible hose and an AN fitting with a cap or some other means of positively capping the line as petcocks can come loose.

When I get home I'll show you an example of what I mean.

The black works can is probably the same as any other. It's the internal construction that matters as it should be baffled with some form of copper or stainless media to condense the oil vapors into droplets so they fall to the bottom of the can instead of saturating the filters. I'm assuming it's the can with 2 filters on top correct? Take the filters off and shine a light inside and see.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I honestly can't see what the problem could be with the blackworks catch can vs the rest.
I personally uses a T1, I paid $700 for it when he was into Hondas.
at the same Time B&R had the same design for $400
now BWR $300
all are the same stuff just different names, right now locally my boy makes way better catch cans than the above mentioned.

either way concentrate on the problem that is causing your blowbye
Old 08-22-2015, 12:16 PM

<p>
Originally Posted by wantboost
Their catch can isn't designed to be a drain back type. I advise strongly against drain back setups anyways. All you wind up doing is sending the moisture and oil contaminating blow by back into the crankcase. After all the entire purpose of a catch can is to alleviate crankcase pressure and separate moisture and blow by out of the engine oil. You basically shoot yourself in the foot by draining back into the crankcase.
</p><p>I don't think anyone here is talking about using a drain back, simply a drain. &nbsp;But seriously, if OP is filling their catch can often enough that removing it to drain it is an issue, then there's other problems there. &nbsp;Also, OP, you don't need a 4 port catch can. &nbsp;Two 2 port catch cans with drains would also do the job for you.</p>
Old 08-23-2015, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
<p></p><p>I don't think anyone here is talking about using a drain back, simply a drain. &nbsp;But seriously, if OP is filling their catch can often enough that removing it to drain it is an issue, then there's other problems there. &nbsp;Also, OP, you don't need a 4 port catch can. &nbsp;Two 2 port catch cans with drains would also do the job for you.</p>
So I don't need a 4 port catch can? I tend to create an excessive amount of smoke coming out of the filter from the catch can. That's why I figured it's because I haven't drained it...
Old 08-23-2015, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How good is the mishimoto 3 port catch can? It has two inlets and 1 outlet
Old 08-23-2015, 12:51 PM

<p>What you need to do, is figure out why you're getting that much blowby. &nbsp;Also, please read and understand the entirety of what I posted - You can replace your single (overpriced, crappy) catch tank with two smaller, cheaper, 2 port catch cans that both have drains. &nbsp;Just don't be that cockbag who drives around with the drains open all the time, dropping **** all over the road.</p>
Old 08-23-2015, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
<p>What you need to do, is figure out why you're getting that much blowby. &nbsp;Also, please read and understand the entirety of what I posted - You can replace your single (overpriced, crappy) catch tank with two smaller, cheaper, 2 port catch cans that both have drains. &nbsp;Just don't be that cockbag who drives around with the drains open all the time, dropping **** all over the road.</p>
Of course not
Old 08-24-2015, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was under the impression most cans using the block fittings are going to get some kind of oil buildup, not necessary from blowby, but due to the low position of the block fittings close to the oil pan. This is why I figured a lot of people solely using baffled valve cover vents. I have my catch can just running to 2 oem h series block fittings with just a breather over the VC vent. I notice a buildup of maybe a half court in the catch can every couple weeks. I figured this was normal again due to the block fittings.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LD9Stunner
I was under the impression most cans using the block fittings are going to get some kind of oil buildup, not necessary from blowby, but due to the low position of the block fittings close to the oil pan. This is why I figured a lot of people solely using baffled valve cover vents. I have my catch can just running to 2 oem h series block fittings with just a breather over the VC vent. I notice a buildup of maybe a half court in the catch can every couple weeks. I figured this was normal again due to the block fittings.
The block fittings are really not that close to the pan and if you are using a baffled pan its zero issue.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You see I have two lines coming out of the valve cover and wanted to put two from the block as well, but many people have been telling me I don't need all 4. I'm still debating whether to do it or just keep the two I have coming from the valve cover....
Old 08-25-2015, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am using this can with two lines from the block and two lines from the back of the valve cover. Crankcase ventilation is one area where overkill is just right.