Notices

Rotrex VC8 Electric Supercharger

Old 06-30-2015, 12:26 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotrex VC8 Electric Supercharger

Found this online: http://www.rotrex.com/Home/Products/...-Superchargers

I think this is a really good idea, I mean we all know the usual, total crap "electric superchargers" made by no name brands, no more than a little electric motor and a fan to replace your air cleaner but this system seems sick. I'm just not sure of the air flow specifics; As in, will it boost my K24 to the high hp I want? I need right around 68lbs./min. This just seems like it's meant for small engines, it does say: "designed for heavily downsized engines" I think I'm going to try and get ahold of them to get more details. If it doesn't support engines of our displacement or high power #'s, I want to find a way to make or have one built. THOUGH, it can spin up to 130,000rpm in less than 300ms and with a variable drive to add, it just might be able to flow enough.

Nothing like gas, metal and electronics working together, the more of that we can have the better. I think the ability to create almost infinite boost conditions with seamless engine management integration (seeing how it's all electronic now a days) is a no brainier.

Pros:
-Engine management control compatibility (It's electric! and so are ecu's!)
-Form factor
-No need for water or oil cooling/lubrication (no lines, no coking oil in the turbo)
-Freedom to mount anywhere
-No lag
-Infinite boost scenarios (infinitely variable boost ratios)
-12-48v
-Doesn't run on exhaust gases so the charge air won't need an intercooler

Cons:
-Probably pretty expensive
-Could have a short electric motor life span
-Might not support larger displacement engines

Last edited by GoodUsername; 06-30-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Rotrex VC8 Electric Supercharger

"-Doesn't run on exhaust gases so the charge air won't need an intercooler"

When you compress air it gets hot regardless of how you do it. My centrifugal blower on my Mustang had much higher IAT's than my turbo.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:08 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Dark_Teg
"-Doesn't run on exhaust gases so the charge air won't need an intercooler"

When you compress air it gets hot regardless of how you do it. My centrifugal blower on my Mustang had much higher IAT's than my turbo.
So by saying you had much higher IAT's on your centrifugal setup than your turbo setup you must be implying that you were running higher boost pressures on your centrifugal setup than you were in your turbo setup?

I guess I should have been more careful before typing that, it comes off like im saying you don't need a intercooler at all. What I was really getting at was hey, even a turbo's compressor or cold side gets pretty damn hot, being that it is part of a complete metal unit and is part of the exhaust system. This VC8 supercharger is electric and can be mounted without being part of any of the exhaust system. You could most certainly benefit from an intercooler. Any decrease in intake air charge temperature is a plus.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:09 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I e-mailed Rotrex, waiting to hear back
Old 06-30-2015, 05:54 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No he isn't implying that.

Compressing air, regardless of how much air is being compressed or to what pressure, heats the air. Now obviously higher pressures generally equals more heat. However it's much more complex than just pressure. Compressor efficiency, compressor housing design, and piping design all effect how much the air is heated. What's even more important is the ambient temperature of the air entering whatever is compressing it. Lower inlet air temperatures means the temperature of the compressed air will be lower.

Now obviously not having a hot exhaust system in direct contact means a decrease in temperature of the compresse air exiting the charger but it will still be heated.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that might be good for something like a ATV but not a car, just looking at it. Their website is kind of bare min info.

I want to know price tho
Old 06-30-2015, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts

The Eight series/sized housing is really small. That supercharger was designed for motorcycle, ATV, watercraft in otto cycle engine applications, but it is currently being used mostly by commercial applications in A/C and fluid control. It is REALLY expensive... and it is NOT going to work with your K24 engine.

One with a wheel large enough to make big power will have far too much mass to be accelerated as rapidly as the VC8 can... which translates into a "laggy" electric system. Further development and material changes will be required in order to make an effective high HP unit.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:01 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

I just downloaded their brochure. The VC8 only supports 50 BHP. Even the largest fixed gear version only flows enough for 75 BHP. No. Just...no. "Electric superchargers" are still a complete waste of time.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:31 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

lol so how did he get banned already? wasn't me
Old 07-01-2015, 04:19 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I tried an electric supercharger once. It was back in either 2000 or 2001 when they were all the rage! Yeah... I was super pissed I wasted my $30 on one too... LOL!
Old 07-01-2015, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by OneBadTurboCRV

I tried an electric supercharger once. It was back in either 2000 or 2001 when they were all the rage! Yeah... I was super pissed I wasted my $30 on one too... LOL!
I almost got one just cause it looked cool lol, i ended up with a real supercharger from Pro charger haha..
Old 07-01-2015, 02:59 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
I just downloaded their brochure. The VC8 only supports 50 BHP. Even the largest fixed gear version only flows enough for 75 BHP. No. Just...no. "Electric superchargers" are still a complete waste of time.
50bhp is a complete waste of time?

I'm curious how much this actually costs. People spend a lot of money to gain 15hp with an IHE mod.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You sound like an idiot. Because a larger version doesn't exist yet the whole idea is void? A 60 year old car guy once said to me that he was surprised forced induction was still mechanical given the innate parasitic loss of the design, and given that automotive tech has advanced so much. At the time I was in my early 20s and dismissed what he said because I knew mechanical turbos work just fine and I was/still am kind of a purist and like old school stuff. But he's right. Mechanical actuation is the sole source of lag. Ignition timing is now electronically controlled and so is valve timing. Advancement in electronic valve timing is the reason this website exists. If engine management and operation never advanced past mechanical actuation we would still have carbureted **** from the 1800s. Eventually forced induction will be 100% electronic because everything in the world is moving toward electronic/digital everything... as much as I personally dislike it.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by wantboost
lol so how did he get banned already? wasn't me
Looking at some of his other posts...maybe he shat up the wrong forum and pissed off the wrong mod
Old 07-01-2015, 04:27 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Valeo has developed a viable electric supercharger being used in compound setups on audis and bmws at an OEM level, currently in production.

There's very little info available about them and it seems there's no ability for public purchase.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:48 PM

Two key words in that phrase. First, compound. They're using it to compress air into a turbo. That works exponentially well, even if it only flows enough air for 50 BHP. Second, OEM (ok, it's an acronym, not a word, bite me). OEM systems only do what, 6, maybe 8 PSI? Hardly a selling point for the kind of things we do around here.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DAmnquickDA
You sound like an idiot. Because a larger version doesn't exist yet the whole idea is void? A 60 year old car guy once said to me that he was surprised forced induction was still mechanical given the innate parasitic loss of the design, and given that automotive tech has advanced so much. At the time I was in my early 20s and dismissed what he said because I knew mechanical turbos work just fine and I was/still am kind of a purist and like old school stuff. But he's right. Mechanical actuation is the sole source of lag. Ignition timing is now electronically controlled and so is valve timing. Advancement in electronic valve timing is the reason this website exists. If engine management and operation never advanced past mechanical actuation we would still have carbureted **** from the 1800s. Eventually forced induction will be 100% electronic because everything in the world is moving toward electronic/digital everything... as much as I personally dislike it.
If it was already that good it was already being used in OEM cars (and I'm a OEM car engineer). And why adding a complex system to your car that could fail without having extra advantages? That's why the most good ideas fail.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would do one on a ATV or SxS but that's about it. Like the Can Am XDs, that's a bad A$$ SxS but at 23k new its a little out of my budget. If I could supercharge a used SxS, It would be worth it, when I can get them for 10-13K, throw a few thousands into a forced injection setup. At 50-75 hp, that's a good amount of power for that type of application. Stock the are 89ish from 1000cc.. 50 would rock the XDs world at 121 hp

Not to mention not having to worry about oil set up and could install it as close to a intercooler and TB as possible.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:25 AM

But...that's not how it works. It doesn't flow enough to add 50 BHP. It flows enough to support 50 BHP.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rotrex VC8 Electric Supercharger

But...that's not how it works. It doesn't flow enough to add 50 BHP. It flows enough to support 50 BHP.
So...its good for gokarts?
Old 07-02-2015, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by m4xwellmurd3r
Golf Carts!

Old 07-02-2015, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by m4xwellmurd3r

Old 07-02-2015, 04:16 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Two key words in that phrase. First, compound. They're using it to compress air into a turbo. That works exponentially well, even if it only flows enough air for 50 BHP. Second, OEM (ok, it's an acronym, not a word, bite me). OEM systems only do what, 6, maybe 8 PSI? Hardly a selling point for the kind of things we do around here.
no, its used in twin and triple turbo diesel systems, after the turbocharger... google it y0 lol
Old 07-02-2015, 04:40 PM

Oh really?

Volvo is also working on its own implementation with a slightly different approach, previewed in a 2.0-liter engine with more than 450 horsepower. The prototype powerplant utilizes two parallel turbos, both spooled up by a separate electric compressor.
Valeo expects automakers to embrace its electric supercharger | New and Used Car Reviews, Research & Automotive-Industry News & LeftLaneNews

So uh...what were you trying to say, wantboost?
Old 07-02-2015, 06:09 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

It's currently implemented on audis twin turbo diesel and there's a version on bmws triple turbo diesel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rotrex VC8 Electric Supercharger