Notices

Black box plug???

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black box plug???

ok im doing a catch can setup and i need a way to block the hole in the block where the black box goes cuz im going to run 2 lines out of the allens you know what i mean lol.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Black box plug??? (boostedb20z)

ill tell you first hand, that is the wrong way to do it. you are trying to vent the engine from a spot on the rear of the engine, in which all of the oil in the cyl head is most likely traveling down.... that coupled with crank case pressure, and you are sure to have an oily mess.

as for the block off plug. go to an autoparts store and get a 34mm freeze plug. they are about 10 cents.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:20 AM

Default Re: Black box plug??? (DaveF)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2014663

Old 03-29-2008, 06:41 AM

Default Re: Black box plug??? (DaveF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaveF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ill tell you first hand, that is the wrong way to do it. you are trying to vent the engine from a spot on the rear of the engine, in which all of the oil in the cyl head is most likely traveling down.... that coupled with crank case pressure, and you are sure to have an oily mess.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

ive seen a couple cars with this problem. op, you should leave the black box and run the lines off that and the valve cover. the box does a good job at seperating the oil first.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Black box plug??? (dbiker207)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dbiker207 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ive seen a couple cars with this problem. op, you should leave the black box and run the lines off that and the valve cover. the box does a good job at seperating the oil first.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So for a B series running around 400 whp, adding a few lines off the valve cover, and leaving the black box on the back of the block is the best option?... I know this has been covered so many times, but I haven't found a clear cut answer, from someone with actual experience.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Black box plug??? (Boston_George)

thats what has worked best for me and my buddies
Old 05-06-2008, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Black box plug??? (dbiker207)

So, should I completely ditch my current crankcase ventillation that's using the 2 block fittings on the back of my engine, along with my B&R block fitting? Just put back the allen head bolts and my black box and go for the ventillation through the valve cover?
Old 05-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Black box plug??? (Outkast95LS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Outkast95LS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So, should I completely ditch my current crankcase ventillation that's using the 2 block fittings on the back of my engine, along with my B&R block fitting? Just put back the allen head bolts and my black box and go for the ventillation through the valve cover? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats what Im gonna do. With the valve cover off, you can see holes that go all the way to the crankcase, so venting from the valve cover is a very good idea. I just heard mixed reviews about opting to run with the black box and opting to remove it, but Im gonna keep mine in, Im not shooting for that much whp anyway. (275). B & R Fittings has a neat "VC only" setup with a manual valve drain thats nicely priced, and comes with everything to complete the install.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Black box plug??? (Silva Bullit DC4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Silva Bullit DC4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats what Im gonna do. With the valve cover off, you can see holes that go all the way to the crankcase, so venting from the valve cover is a very good idea. I just heard mixed reviews about opting to run with the black box and opting to remove it, but Im gonna keep mine in, Im not shooting for that much whp anyway. (275). B & R Fittings has a neat "VC only" setup with a manual valve drain thats nicely priced, and comes with everything to complete the install. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think I'm going to get the B & R Fittings VC catch can as well... Also, I found this thread https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1707938 where the stock black box is used, but the PCV valve is removed from the system, and crankcase pressure is released via vents from the valve cover.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Black box plug??? (Boston_George)

woohoo! another catchcan thread

if you leave the black box on, what do you expect to do with the lines that are attached to it? you can run them to a catch can, but thats really no different than using the 2 rear ports.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dbiker207 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the box does a good job at seperating the oil first.</TD></TR></TABLE>

how do you figure? its just an empty box, a baffled can would do a much better job at seperating oil while allowing for larger lines, stock lines on the black box are only like 3/8" at best

i do think there should be a drain back and valve cover vents too though. that will help reduce crankcase pressure and keep the can from overflowing. just go baller style and do a T1 setup.

EDIT: and to answer the original question. you can use a freeze plug (34.3mm) or get a fitting from B&R or Z10
Old 05-07-2008, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Black box plug??? (dpetro1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dpetro1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">woohoo! another catchcan thread

if you leave the black box on, what do you expect to do with the lines that are attached to it? you can run them to a catch can, but thats really no different than using the 2 rear ports.

how do you figure? its just an empty box, a baffled can would do a much better job at seperating oil while allowing for larger lines, stock lines on the black box are only like 3/8" at best

i do think there should be a drain back and valve cover vents too though. that will help reduce crankcase pressure and keep the can from overflowing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

the black box acts as an initial seperator. I figure because it works much BETTER than the block fittings. i still use a baffled catch can but thats after the black box. then run fittings from the valve cover if you still need more ventilation. the drain back is absolutly retarded if you ask me, my catch can collects a watery gas that i wouldnt want to mix with my oil if i dont have to.