Notices

better single cam acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default better single cam acceleration

I have a 50 trim t3 on a d15. The car pulls nice once the turbo is spooled (about 3 grand) and the long gears of a cx tranny make fifth gear pulls nice... My only problem is lag: It works wonders on gas mileage, but when its time to get nasty she doesn't. Can getting to 3k faster be fixed with a cam and adj cam gear? The couple places that are going to tune my car are closed so here i ask: (for better scrutiny or worse). I just want to put the finishing touches on the parts list before I get it dynoed. Woot!
Old 03-15-2010, 04:50 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: better single cam acceleration

Originally Posted by everythingwentblack
I have a 50 trim t3 on a d15. The car pulls nice once the turbo is spooled (about 3 grand) and the long gears of a cx tranny make fifth gear pulls nice... My only problem is lag: It works wonders on gas mileage, but when its time to get nasty she doesn't. Can getting to 3k faster be fixed with a cam and adj cam gear? The couple places that are going to tune my car are closed so here i ask: (for better scrutiny or worse). I just want to put the finishing touches on the parts list before I get it dynoed. Woot!
yeah. it's possible advancing the cam a few degrees could help. i don't necessarily think changing the cam is necessary, but some advance on the stocker could help.

out of curiousity, is it a jdm d15b or a non-vtec d15?

this is why i like smaller turbos and higher compression for a daily - cylinder pressure is cylinder pressure. your ceiling is lower, yes, and tuning windows much tighter, but initial boost response is ideal.

off topic: are you really located in AC or a surrounding area? i went to some myspace page in your profile to find out and i noticed a picture in what looks like the OC superfresh parking lot, lulz.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:07 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

You can also look at gearing changes and final drives from Mfactory that help with even better acceleration.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get rid of the CX trans, at the very least drop an EX in it. That will make you a TON faster, nothing like doing 80mph in 2nd. CX trans final is retarded long.

Be glad your car spools that early honestly. You've got a lot of spool room to work with. Best bet is to get a new tranny with closer gear seperation so that instead of getting to 3K faster you can just downshift and walla, boost.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:55 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by SovXietday
Get rid of the CX trans, at the very least drop an EX in it. That will make you a TON faster, nothing like doing 80mph in 2nd. CX trans final is retarded long.

Be glad your car spools that early honestly. You've got a lot of spool room to work with. Best bet is to get a new tranny with closer gear seperation so that instead of getting to 3K faster you can just downshift and walla, boost.
agreed 100%
Old 03-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your spooling at 3k on the 50 trim, your doing good. i have a .48 50 trim on a y8 and im at around 4200 or more.

even though the ex gears are better than the cx, its not going to help you with spool.

if it really bothers you, get a small 50 shot.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:19 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by platinum00
if it really bothers you, get a small 50 shot.
a 50 shot + boost on a d15 and its toothpick rods? ehh...
Old 03-15-2010, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you have stock rods and want any power that's another problem. stock d15 i would say is unsafe after 230ish...

a 50 shot wont hurt anything though if it's tuned correctly and stay under the HP limits of whatever your working with.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Platinum I'm pretty sure he means 50trim straight T3, not a T3T04e like we're all used to seeing. No way you'd get one of them to full spool by 3K on a D.

Either way, IMO I see absolutely no point in trying to get that low power. It's a Civic engine, it's got no torque down low and it's never going to have any. He's spooling at 3K. Get a nice trans with good gearing separation, and learn how to clutch in and downshift. That's what gearing is for afterall.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good point... I agree, 3k is pretty damn good.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by builthatch
yeah. it's possible advancing the cam a few degrees could help. i don't necessarily think changing the cam is necessary, but some advance on the stocker could help.

out of curiousity, is it a jdm d15b or a non-vtec d15?

this is why i like smaller turbos and higher compression for a daily - cylinder pressure is cylinder pressure. your ceiling is lower, yes, and tuning windows much tighter, but initial boost response is ideal.

off topic: are you really located in AC or a surrounding area? i went to some myspace page in your profile to find out and i noticed a picture in what looks like the OC superfresh parking lot, lulz.
Its a jdm d15 baby for the win! I originally was going to get an eclipse turbo, but a friend sold me this one for dirt cheap.. Couldnt pass it up. I like it because its makes power all the way to my redline, I just need a lil something something to kick it up a notch so it doesnt take me 3 car lengths to get there.

I used to live in AC, then OC for a few years, now im in EHT. hahaha YEAH YOU KNOW THATS SUPERFRESH!!! hahaha I cant believe someone recognized it, thats hilarious. What do you drive? I had to have at the very least passed you all the time if youre from here. Do you go to the meets at kmart or woodbury?

Originally Posted by SovXietday

I thought the Ex had aluminum shift forks which arent good for boost? I like the long gear for fifth because I can fly/drive on the parkway without ruining my gas milage. What about putting a 5 gear cx in an ex trans?
Old 03-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you need seat time.

my old setup didnt spool till 6500rpm
Old 03-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

seat time?
Old 03-16-2010, 09:32 PM
MiG-21 superfan

seat time?
he means more time driving it and figuring out the nuances of your combo to maximize ****.

Its a jdm d15 baby for the win! I originally was going to get an eclipse turbo, but a friend sold me this one for dirt cheap.. Couldnt pass it up. I like it because its makes power all the way to my redline, I just need a lil something something to kick it up a notch so it doesnt take me 3 car lengths to get there.

I used to live in AC, then OC for a few years, now im in EHT. hahaha YEAH YOU KNOW THATS SUPERFRESH!!! hahaha I cant believe someone recognized it, thats hilarious. What do you drive? I had to have at the very least passed you all the time if youre from here. Do you go to the meets at kmart or woodbury?

I thought the Ex had aluminum shift forks which arent good for boost? I like the long gear for fifth because I can fly/drive on the parkway without ruining my gas milage. What about putting a 5 gear cx in an ex trans?
first and 5th in both of those transmissions are the same as far as i've ever known. the gears in-between and, of course, the final drive, are what make those trannies so wildly different.

regarding forks...you might want to talk to some of the d-series tranny dorks like bense or mista bone (or transzex, whatever he's called now) but i never had an issue with either steel forked later gen trans OR older alloy fork units. some people claim that the alloy forks are preferred because they bend as opposed to straight breaking like the steel counterparts, but i can easily think of a reason why i would rather the damn thing just break if it's seeing THAT much abuse, lulz. i can't say either way for sure as i had success with both types.

either way, i think you'd be floored by the performance difference between the two transmissions. i mean, i know what you mean about gas mileage, but if you stay in vacuum, the 4.25 FD and .70X 5th gear will yield good mileage.

OP, i drove this car from 1998-2007: http://www.hondamarketplace.com/show....php?t=2136943
it had two different heavily modified d-series engines in it for all but a few months of that span. i sold it 12/07 to some young guy in EHT, who sat on it for a while and let it rot away...he then sold it to some even younger dude in EHT who either had it stolen or something weird. i don't know the real story but regardless, the car was absolutely totaled, as per the end of that FS thread. kinda sad because the car ended up about a mile from where i grew up in EHT and where the car started it's time with me as a kid.

i don't go to any meets or anything, but i'm glad that is going on in the area!
Old 03-17-2010, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

first and 5th in both of those transmissions are the same as far as i've ever known. the gears in-between and, of course, the final drive, are what make those trannies so wildly different.

regarding forks...you might want to talk to some of the d-series tranny dorks like bense or mista bone (or transzex, whatever he's called now) but i never had an issue with either steel forked later gen trans OR older alloy fork units. some people claim that the alloy forks are preferred because they bend as opposed to straight breaking like the steel counterparts, but i can easily think of a reason why i would rather the damn thing just break if it's seeing THAT much abuse, lulz. i can't say either way for sure as i had success with both types.

either way, i think you'd be floored by the performance difference between the two transmissions. i mean, i know what you mean about gas mileage, but if you stay in vacuum, the 4.25 FD and .70X 5th gear will yield good mileage.

OP, i drove this car from 1998-2007: http://www.hondamarketplace.com/show....php?t=2136943
it had two different heavily modified d-series engines in it for all but a few months of that span. i sold it 12/07 to some young guy in EHT, who sat on it for a while and let it rot away...he then sold it to some even younger dude in EHT who either had it stolen or something weird. i don't know the real story but regardless, the car was absolutely totaled, as per the end of that FS thread. kinda sad because the car ended up about a mile from where i grew up in EHT and where the car started it's time with me as a kid.

i don't go to any meets or anything, but i'm glad that is going on in the area![/QUOTE]

The gears are the same from what Im reading, but It doesnt make sense to me how that works. how can the gears be the same but the length differ? Can you give me a quick rundown on what final drive is and how a higher number would be better?

That can is defiantly badass... Right around the time you sold it i bought my teal coupe then moved to chicago, so that explains why I didnt see you hahaha. if you still drive a good looking honda (which im sure you do) and see someone is a lowered teal boosted coupe on si's giving you the honk and point/thumbs up thats me. I figure its a respect thing with us honda dudes, giving a thumbs up on something I like.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:59 PM
MiG-21 superfan

The gears are the same from what Im reading, but It doesnt make sense to me how that works. how can the gears be the same but the length differ? Can you give me a quick rundown on what final drive is and how a higher number would be better?
yeah, put it like this-

if you drive an ex/si, the 5th gear seems pretty tall. it's definitely a gas saver, even with the 4.25 final drive.

so, if you have a trans with the same 5th gear, but make the final drive so numerically low - it seems like some uber tall gear, but in reality it's the same as the ex/si...it's just that now instead of the engine having to turn the input shaft of the trans 4.25 times for the wheels to make one revolution, it turns the input shaft 3.25 times for the wheels to make one revolution.

that's why if you put a smaller rolling diameter wheel/tire combo on your car, it seems like it goes through the gears faster - because you've now effectively raised the number of the final drive.

on a skateboard, if the wheels are smaller, you have to push mad times to go a certain distance. with bigger wheels, like 58-60mm+, you will push alot less to cover the same distance. the smaller wheels are representative of a numerically higher final drive...or smaller wheel/tire combo. the larger wheels are like a gas saving numerically low final drive or if you put some super tall wheel/tire combo on your car.

the best visual tool for playing with gear ratios, IMO, is playing a gran turismo video game (or the like) and playing with the gear ratios ; )
Old 03-17-2010, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by builthatch
yeah, put it like this-

if you drive an ex/si, the 5th gear seems pretty tall. it's definitely a gas saver, even with the 4.25 final drive.

so, if you have a trans with the same 5th gear, but make the final drive so numerically low - it seems like some uber tall gear, but in reality it's the same as the ex/si...it's just that now instead of the engine having to turn the input shaft of the trans 4.25 times for the wheels to make one revolution, it turns the input shaft 3.25 times for the wheels to make one revolution.

that's why if you put a smaller rolling diameter wheel/tire combo on your car, it seems like it goes through the gears faster - because you've now effectively raised the number of the final drive.

on a skateboard, if the wheels are smaller, you have to push mad times to go a certain distance. with bigger wheels, like 58-60mm+, you will push alot less to cover the same distance. the smaller wheels are representative of a numerically higher final drive...or smaller wheel/tire combo. the larger wheels are like a gas saving numerically low final drive or if you put some super tall wheel/tire combo on your car.

the best visual tool for playing with gear ratios, IMO, is playing a gran turismo video game (or the like) and playing with the gear ratios ; )
haha WOW. Singlehandedly the best medaphor yet.. so an ex trans with my 205/50/15s is the best possible solution. because i will accelerate faster due to the higher FD and save a little on gas mileage when im driving down the parkway. Correct? Damn, that medaphor really was impressive.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:24 PM
MiG-21 superfan

haha WOW. Singlehandedly the best medaphor yet.. so an ex trans with my 205/50/15s is the best possible solution. because i will accelerate faster due to the higher FD and save a little on gas mileage when im driving down the parkway. Correct? Damn, that medaphor really was impressive.
yeah, i agree with the other dudes in this thread - i think the ex/si trans is a good bet. the 5th gear is tall, but the final drive is sort-of in-between that crazy FD you have now and the the b16/b18c final drives that people complain about on the highway. it's almost perfect, IMO.