Notices

Best way to control boost???

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to control boost???

I've got a T-25, with the stock internal wastegate, and the stock setting for the wastegate should give me around 8psi boost, but I would like to be able to bring it down to around 5 to start. What is the best way to do this?

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2002, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best way to control boost??? (TurboSi)

Boost contoller is the best way..or you can try a stronger actuator spring and hunt a peck the settings....
Old 04-21-2002, 05:38 AM

Default Re: Best way to control boost??? (MiraiZ)

Would a boost controler be able to lower my boost setting below the stock setting?
Old 04-21-2002, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Would a boost controler be able to lower my boost setting below the stock setting?
yes...it'll help bleed off more exhaust pressure and boost below the spring pre-set
Old 04-21-2002, 06:19 AM

Check out http://www.groupbuycenter.com they are runing specials right now on all greddy stuff and apexi so you could pick up a Apexi Avc-r or a greddy profec A or B. Money is kinda a issue with me so im looking at the greddy profec B but I would pick up the avc-v. Thing is so so nice
Old 04-22-2002, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Best way to control boost??? (MiraiZ)

yes...it'll help bleed off more exhaust pressure and boost below the spring pre-set
Could someone tell me how it would do this? I thought that a manual boost controller just adjusted the vaccume/boost signal to the wastegate actuator. How would it make the boost look higher to the actuator, resulting in a lower boost to the manifold? Do they work differently than I thought?

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2002, 04:55 PM

Boost controllers can only raise the boost not lower it. Whatever spring you are using is the lowest setting. Tial 35mm usually comes with a 6.5psi spring so unless you change the spring, that is the lowest boost you can run, no matter if you have a boost controller or not.

Am I reading this question wrong? Why would you say that a boost controller can lower the boost below the spring setting?
Old 04-22-2002, 05:25 PM

Default Re: (Anubyss)

Boost controllers can only raise the boost not lower it. Whatever spring you are using is the lowest setting. Tial 35mm usually comes with a 6.5psi spring so unless you change the spring, that is the lowest boost you can run, no matter if you have a boost controller or not.

Am I reading this question wrong? Why would you say that a boost controller can lower the boost below the spring setting?
That is exactly what I thought happened, and I could not see how it would be otherwise, but it was mentioned earlier in this thread that a boost controller could be used.

Thank you for clearing that up, and reassuring me that I"m not an idiot.
Old 04-22-2002, 10:44 PM

Default Re: (TurboSi)

Forget the boost controller stuff... T25's typically utilize internal wastegates. Does your T25 have an adjustable actuator rod? If so, then lengthen the rod to lower boost. If your T25 did not come with an adjustable rod, you can cut the rod in half and use a die set to thread both of the cut ends, then use a threaded union to reasemble the rod to whatever length and boost level desired.
Old 04-23-2002, 04:52 AM

Default Re: (turbopimp)

Forget the boost controller stuff... T25's typically utilize internal wastegates. Does your T25 have an adjustable actuator rod? If so, then lengthen the rod to lower boost. If your T25 did not come with an adjustable rod, you can cut the rod in half and use a die set to thread both of the cut ends, then use a threaded union to reasemble the rod to whatever length and boost level desired.
I've never heard of doing this, have you done it?
Old 04-23-2002, 05:36 AM

Default Re: (TurboSi)

I have done this on a Garrett T3 actuator rod as well as a Mitsubishi Td06... and yes it does work. Many aftermarket applications of internally wastegated turbochargers (IHI comes to mind) have adjustable actuator rods.