B18C5 w/ GSR tranny
9.6:1 SRP Pistons
DRAG 3 kit
Turbonetics T04/T3
AEM EMS
Hasport Engine mounts
RC 440 injectors
AEM fuel rail and reg

As for the goals of this car I would like it to be a street car but play a little with auto-x. Yeah I'll run the car in the 1/4 but straight line just isnt fun enough for me. Also I will never run N2O. When I race I gut the back of the car but thats the only weight reduction I have done. Oh and no A/C. I hope this is plenty of info on my car.

My question is what would be the best tranny setup for my car. I was thinking Type-R but would something like an SI with a limited slip diff be a good idea cause I dont know how much I want to change my final drive from where it is now.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-20-2003, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Best tranny for my setup? (revhigh96)

I'd say it would also depend on the size of the turbo. If you had a T3 48trim T4 60 or 63trim than i would say go with the shorter gears of the B16 or Type R transmission. But if you had a larger turbo say T3 60 T4 63, which has a very streetable/race dynamic ability then i would say stay with the GSR or go LS(longest gears=widest power band). The moral of those two T3/T4 examples is that the smaller trim 1st ex can not flow as much as the larger one, hence the need for longer gears. Also the LS tranny can give you 170+mph runs. Ultimately the thing would be to design your own transmission B18b 1st gear GSR 2, TypeR 3, Si 4th, LS 5th. You'd have the bes of all worlds. Hope I explained it in its entirety.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Best tranny for my setup? (Project_SOHC_EX)

Thanks for the info. How hard is tranny work? I have never taken one appart before. As far as Hondas go can I customize the tranny like stated above? I figure only B-series gears with B-series tranny but are there any other restrictions as far as what gear I can put (get put) in a tranny?
Old 11-20-2003, 04:31 PM

Oh and with regards to my turbo I dont remember the trim off the top of my head but it did come with the DRAG kit so I know its a larger trim like 60ish (its a shame I dont know what trim it is).
Old 11-20-2003, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best tranny for my setup? (revhigh96)

I'm not sure as to how hard tranny work can be(personally i've never taken one apart. I have a magazine where one of the feature articles is about transmission work. I'm sure you could get the name of the company that disassembled/reassembled the transmission. You could call them and ask them what parts(gears, synchros, etc, etc) you would need for your custome transmission, also include what you plan to do with your vehicle and include which gears you chose and why you <U>think</U> they would work best for your application. They should be able to tell you all of the above I've just stated. Also do some research on your you can go to HowStuffWorks.com and get some technical and beginner info on transmissions and their functions and how the parts come together. Right? The other option is that certain people like Spoon Mugen ATS(I think might have that name wrong)make different final drives for vehicles like the Type R or other transmissions. Usually those are better suited for n/a applications. Hey, who knows, maybe if we can get over a 1,000 signatures for interest in a transmission with gears suited for boost applications maybe that could be a possibility for the mere future in terms of production.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Best tranny for my setup? (Project_SOHC_EX)

There was a thread a while back (not too long) about rebuilding a tranny. Very good information, it wasn't hard at all - when you change the gears make sure you use the syncros from the other tranny - ie. si tranny w/ls 5th, use the fifth gear syncro from the ls.

edit: search the TECH section.