Notices

Best setup for slightlymod'd GSR?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Best setup for slightlymod'd GSR?

I have a 97 civic hath with a 99 b18c1, greddy headers, aem intake, skunk2 pro intake exedy stage 1, competition flywheel, full exhaust, 3 angle valve job, full tune...it' a daily driver and i wanna run boost (no more than 7si)or a small shot, 50 or 70ish. Any advice. Dont wanna go crazy and have to change or upgrade too much more, but wanna add a touch more power, safely! wish i had the cash for a jackson charger but i don't so maybe a turbo but i hear i may be better of with a nitrous setup, cost and convenience wise. any and all advice welcome i have been installing mobile electronics for years but new to boost and juice. Simple easy setup is my goal.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Best setup for slightlymod'd GSR?

good luck, if you dont have the cash for a jackson setup then dont even think about a turbo setup imo.

best advice I can give ya is to do a nitrous setup instead.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AlexDphoto
good luck, if you dont have the cash for a jackson setup then dont even think about a turbo setup imo.

best advice I can give ya is to do a nitrous setup instead.
A jackson setup runs $3400 plus. You can do a decent turbo setup for under 2g. I want to run conservative if i do go turbo...as far as either goes, is there a decent setup for what mods i have and stock gsr internals?
Old 01-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by just_bn_me83
You can do a decent turbo setup for under 2g.
With used parts, maybe. And then, you need to be wary of the product you receive. Be prepared to spend more than that for new, reputable, quality parts.

1) Fast
2) Reliable
3) Cheap

I picked 1 & 2 and never looked back.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Heres the best advise for you! dont waist your money on a jrsc its a pain to install and maintain and your gonna want more power after! best bang for your buck would be get a nos injection kit! you can still use all your mods you have and still take advantage of them, turbo and jrsc kits are kinda labor intesive and take a while and skill to instal! theres real great nitrous kits that are real safe and have saftey shut of functions and you can set it to activate at a certain rpm and disingage right before redline. A good healthy dose of laughing gas will ad some great gains! get some injectors and a fuel pump and retune with the nos. It will be real easy to instal and if your not worried about the law run some juice! get a complete kit and see how it feels. you can find a semi complete jrsc kits these days for around $1,500 and you can get used turbo kits for around the same iv even seen a new greddy turbo kit for less than $2,000 on ebay! i was so tempted to buy it but went with a pro charger supercharger cause of the simplicity of the instal and desighn, its another great option but its expensive new kits are around $5,000 i found a used kit for around a grand..
Old 01-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my big thing too is its a daily driver and i dont always need boost. weekends here and there and make a few muscle heads angry...thats all. I have looked at the venom vcn 1000, nx systems and zex systems, not sure what one is better, a lot of mixed reviews. just want a wet system i think, that is safe and has some decent computerized or safety shut offs... 50 or 70 shot max! the other question is tuning... i am running obd2 to obd1 and it was fully tuned, how will that play into adding a wet system?
Old 01-04-2011, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

f*ck nos!

boost that hoe!

bottles are for babies, real men get blown!!!...
Old 01-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boca
f*ck nos!

boost that hoe!

nice!
Old 01-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boca
f*ck nos!

boost that hoe!

yea! lol
Old 01-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by just_bn_me83
A jackson setup runs $3400 plus. You can do a decent turbo setup for under 2g. I want to run conservative if i do go turbo...as far as either goes, is there a decent setup for what mods i have and stock gsr internals?
where the heck are you looking that JRSC kits are 3400 dollars?

I was about to buy a used one for $900. Get bigger injectors and a good tune and youll have a supercharger kit for less than you would spend for a turbo kit.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AlexDphoto
where the heck are you looking that JRSC kits are 3400 dollars?

I was about to buy a used one for $900. Get bigger injectors and a good tune and youll have a supercharger kit for less than you would spend for a turbo kit.
brand new they go for that. im not a fan of the jrsc although my last setup was fun its just too much maintance sometimes.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And that's what I'm trying to avoid is a lot of maintenance. I know if i run no more than 7psi on either setup and keep up on oil changes and the basics, a boosted gsr will still run for a long time and perform well, it's when dummies try running huge amounts of boost on a daily driver and beat the **** out of it that you run into problems. I am all for doing it right the first time and not being a cheapo where it counts, I would love to turbo it but it's a toss up until i learn a little bit more on both setups, pro's & con's... a decent juiced setup will run me no more than $600-$800...turbo kit...not sure...if anyone has good examples of a conservative setup please share.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

PSI doesnt mean much, definitely keep reading up so you can pinpoint exactly what types of components you want to use.

I daily drove and beat the **** out of my turbo gsr with minimal issues @ low 300's, other people daily drive 500hp setups.

You can get away with stock internals, get a good tune for sure.

Id look into a used turbocharger, a log manifold, tial 38mm wg, and a good wideband, oil pressure, and boost gauge, walbro 255, dsm 450cc injectors and resitor box. you can find a lot of this stuff on the marketplace for relatively cheap.

other things like IC, ic piping, and such can be found cheap as well, and new even.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Go with a used turbo setup. Just keep the power goal under 300 and you shouldn't have any trouble out of it with a good tune.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is a website, ssautochrome.com, there are a lot of different kits on the site for b series motors, anyone hear anything good or bad about those kits?
Old 01-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ssautocrap! Junk eBay brand
Old 01-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, lot of mixed reviews but that's the jist of it, just wanted to double check. Well if anyone can point me in a good direction for a small turbo setup, guess that's the next step. nothing crazy, only want to run 7psi'ish, doesn't have to be the best name but not cheapo.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ yup ebay. If your really interested in one of the cheap kits do some research so you know what your gettin into. There's a ebay turbo thread in this section. Some ppl will say stay the hell away from it and some ppl swear by the stuff cause of the savings.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Silva Bullit DC4
With used parts, maybe. And then, you need to be wary of the product you receive. Be prepared to spend more than that for new, reputable, quality parts.

1) Fast
2) Reliable
3) Cheap

I picked 1 & 2 and never looked back.
this is pretty dumb being that hes looking for 70 more hp lol. if you think you can't piece together a good turbo kit for under 2k new your out of your mind.