Notices

best oem ic???

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 08:08 AM
VTcivic

Default best oem ic???

im tryin to piece together a turbo kit for myself, if it matters it will be going on a d16y8. my question is this, whats the best oem ic i can get? i have heard starions arent very good, but thats about it. what about makeing a dsm smic into a fmic? do they flow good? how well does the starion flow for ppl who deal with them? any other ic's ishould look for before deciding on getting an aftermarket on? thanks
Old 07-08-2003, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: best oem ic??? (VTcivic)

dsm smic>starion..........it flows better but for low boost the starion ic will be just fine. Only reason I'd run a starion ic instead of my dsm is just to take advantage of the extra air it would get mounted to the front of the car as opposed to my smic which is where the stock intake resonator would be(it gets pretty hot in there). I've seen people put 2 dsm smics together and use them as front mounts. I've also heard that the supra intercoolers are pretty good.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: best oem ic??? (AztecEJ)

Starions are alright... maybe. My main gripe is that they are overpriced crap. One should do alright for a SOHC.

The DSM SMIC has gotten the DSMs into the high 12's before being replaced, but it heat soaks quickly. Just because it flows better doesn't mean it's the best heat exchanger, either. You get the best charge temp drops accompanied by a little boost drop, in my experience.

It's easy to find the setup where the turbo can supply more cfm than an engine can handle, so if the turbo is putting out a little more to get past the IC it's irrelevant. A good charge temp drop is relevant.

You may consider taking two lesser ICs and joining them together. I currently sport three DSM SMIC cores joined into one FMIC. 24X11X4, pretty big chunk. Two Saab ICs in a row would probably be a nice unit.

Here, surf my gallery of OEM intercoolers... it has dimensions and such, should be of some use.

http://www.redpepperracing.com/gallery/album33
Old 07-08-2003, 10:38 AM
VTcivic

My plans are to run a ihi rhb5 turbo at about 9psi on stock internals. I have a friend with the same turbo and a mazda gt ic, he says its great. so somthing of that size perhaps would be better?
Old 07-08-2003, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (VTcivic)

ebay sells a lot of homemade no-name intercoolers of various sizes. I bought one for $300 dollars, its 31 x 6 x 2.75. In/Outlets are 2.5.

three guys I can think of are tjn115, barbiegal and auctioner1010. I bought mine from auctioner1010.

Looks great!!!

Much better looking and flowing than starion.

no cutting to anything either, fit perfect
Old 07-08-2003, 03:02 PM

Default Re: (evan2)

look for a guy named boostcoolers on ebay,

and also teh saab viggen is a BIG FMIC type of IC, plastic end tanks but looks pretty well made
Old 07-08-2003, 03:10 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: (evoeone)

I have a starion IC with modded entanks for sale, With modded entands they will work fine and easily hold ~12psi....i know someone on the board was running 12.71 with a starion with JB welded entakes...
Heres a pic of mine, had a local shop weld it (IM if your interested)
Old 07-08-2003, 04:11 PM

Default Re: (GSRslowandswap)

ive got a perfect condition dsm intercooler for sale...$40shipped....let me know if you are interested!

Gritsak@aol.com
Old 07-08-2003, 04:18 PM
TurboJesse

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSRslowandswap &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they are thin
the factory pipe diameter is tiny
they are over priced
they are the RICER junk yard intercooler

a fuggin Tyrus is better than a starion/conquest

i'd either go with the 2.75" one (i am ) or do as Joseph said and weld some together.

ohh, btw, i'm a liar</TD></TR></TABLE>

There 2.5", does that extra .25" really make it a piece of junk? And who uses the factory pipe on it? For what i would sell mine for i think you would be hard pressed to find a better deal on a FMIC, And not everyone has teh skills or friends that can weld, so that option is out of the picture for some people...
Old 07-08-2003, 05:16 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSRslowandswap &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that little bit of difference makes a BIG difference when you start to add on more boost

most ppl buy an intercooler once...and leave it there, even if they work on the rest of the kit

it is a wise investment to get something that is over kill, and then build from there

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont think that is the best thing to do...get an intercooler that will suit your ultimate goals. if you only plan on making 200whp and thats that..why get a HUGE intercooler that will just cause more lag and pressure drop when you dont need it.

ide first figure out what your plans are for the car, then get something an intercooler that is suited for those goals

ive seen to many ricers around here with these huge *** intercoolers that are sticking out of the front end, then open the hood and its a t25 or some crap like that.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:33 PM
Banned

Default Re: (gritsak)

i have heard dsm guys using the stock sidemounts up to 320hp
Old 07-08-2003, 05:35 PM

Default Re: (Burke)

I personally think the 944 is way underrated.. sometimes you can pick them up on ebay for fairly cheap..
Old 07-08-2003, 06:25 PM
TurboJesse

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSRslowandswap &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that little bit of difference makes a BIG difference when you start to add on more boost

most ppl buy an intercooler once...and leave it there, even if they work on the rest of the kit

it is a wise investment to get something that is over kill, and then build from there

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dunno about that, i have a few friends with oversized intercoolers and the only thing ive really noticed them doing is losing a few psi I was always told you get an intercooler that is best for your setup, not one your gonna be running 2 years down the road, And BTW ive seen a few cars make 250+whp with the starion intercooler, it can't be that bad...
Old 07-08-2003, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Mpir3)

Audi 5000 stock frount mount is nice. 2.5" inlet and outlet. The core is about 3"x 13" x 8" and from what i have read it flows really well. seems good for a 14b or something.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:50 PM

Default Re: best oem ic??? (AztecEJ)

yeah I agree. A starion IC is quite good in size. My friend has a custom on on his B16..real nice and cheap too.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (evoeone)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by evoeone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">look for a guy named boostcoolers on ebay,

and also teh saab viggen is a BIG FMIC type of IC, plastic end tanks but looks pretty well made</TD></TR></TABLE>

I will be running the saab viggen i/c on my setup... I'll let you guys know how it works out... Ordering it next week... Was gonna order it this week, but got a hella deal on some leather seats...
Old 07-08-2003, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ScrapinSi)

Rob, quick jocking my ****.

Normally, as I stated above, a little pressure drop doesn't mean much across an IC. I'd worry about loss of spool if your setup is already peaky, but that isn't the case here. For a small RHB5 on a D16, the Starion for sale in this thread - if it is going for a good price - is about what you want.

The Porsche 944 is also a nice unit; 5.5 by 5.5 by 28 or some such.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:34 PM
VTcivic

im only planning on getting about 200whp, i dont realy want anything too crazy, something i can use around town and a litle on the highway. do please keep discussing this, im very interested.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:40 PM

Default Re: best oem ic??? (VTcivic)

this might help
http://www.gusmahon.org/html/cooler%20test.htm

tip:
Isuzu NPR cores can be bought for ~$150.00 from big rig/diesel parts/junk yards in fairly good condition. u may have to fab up new endtanks though
Old 07-08-2003, 10:57 PM
VTcivic

what would one have to do to fab up some new endtanks..like whats involved and what is needed...just curious. thanks
Old 07-08-2003, 11:04 PM

the supra smic has made over 500 whp (maybe even more) with stock intercooler...

Old 07-08-2003, 11:31 PM
VTcivic

bump for the night!! plz everyone with info plz post it here.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:44 PM

The saab Vigen intercooler (one end tank per side) is a pretty good unit.

The old volvo front mounts (really tall) with the plastic end tanks and 2.25 inch inlet/outlet work pretty well also (having a large surface area)

The saab 900 ones are an OK intercooler for low boost apps. (like under 250 hp)

The older saab 5000 ones are OK too, but i wouldn't use them for much over 250 HP or so.

What i would do if you can, is get a newer ford powerstroke deisel intercooler (the all aluminum one that's 2 inches thick) And have custom end tanks on it/cut it to fit your car.. They have a tube/fin double core, and work pretty damn well, and are cheap.

Brad
Old 07-09-2003, 12:02 AM

1. cut off old endtanks if they dont fit
2. buy AL sheet
3. design/dimension new endtanks
4. bend AL sheet (might have to anneal it) on a brake.
5. TIG new endtanks
6. buy AL tube
7. TIG AL tube to endtanks
8. TIG endtanks to core
9. TIG mounting brackets to core
10. install

its a little time consuming
Old 07-09-2003, 12:04 AM

Default Re: (javierb14)

but will support 400 whp.... and intercool nicely. :-) look bad *** to boot...

Quick Reply: best oem ic???