Notices

Best integra for boosting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best integra for boosting?

oh i have a 93 gsr now but i want to rune high psi for as cheap as i can and i hear that the gsr cant have high boost unless u dump loads of cash in it?

also i hear that ls models u can boost with good power and reliability for like 3500 for a full kit .

now my question is is the gsr or ls better to boost. i like the newer model and when i save up like 5k or soo im gonna sell my 93 and buy like a 97 gsr or ls depending on wats better to boost
Old 01-15-2007, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best integra for boosting? (dets93teg)

anyone help
Old 01-15-2007, 09:24 PM

There is no right answer. It's a preferance.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dets93teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh i have a 93 gsr now but i want to rune high psi for as cheap as i can and i hear that the gsr cant have high boost unless u dump loads of cash in it?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You have to put a wad of 100 dollar bills into the throttle body every night if you want it to last.

Honestly, either motor will handle boost pretty much the same given you run the same turbo kit and 'tune' the motors safely. The GSR will put out more power than the LS though.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:29 PM

expletive I guess I'll chime in on this one. No buddie probably wants to answer you cause they think it's a "noob" question and you should be shot. Hey, we were all noobs once.

Obviously either way it sounds like if you are going to boost it is going to be on a stock engine since thats whats in your price range (inless you have thousands to spend on forged pistons, new rods, and sleves.) DD b-series engines are safe on 7psi, no more. I would even set 6psi just to be safe.

But probably the most importent advice I can give to you looking to sup up a ricer, GET THE BITCH TUNED. I will solve alot of headaches and you'll love it.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best integra for boosting? (dougvtect)

Type R...see here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlACyVAlepA

Old 01-15-2007, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats easy
94 LS integra:
obd1
cheapest of the 3rd gen
no stupid front crossmember
engine bay is big
LS motors are cheap if it blows
hydro tranny
ect
Old 01-16-2007, 12:55 AM

Default Re: Best integra for boosting? (dougvtect)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dougvtect &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Obviously either way it sounds like if you are going to boost it is going to be on a stock engine since thats whats in your price range (inless you have thousands to spend on forged pistons, new rods, and sleves.) DD b-series engines are safe on 7psi, no more. I would even set 6psi just to be safe.</TD></TR></TABLE>

****, so you mean me running my stock GSR motor at 13 psi from a GT30R on 91 octane for a year and a half driving it 75 miles a day to work and boosting it a lot was not safe?

Damn, that's news to me.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best integra for boosting? (boosted92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

****, so you mean me running my stock GSR motor at 13 psi from a GT30R on 91 octane for a year and a half driving it 75 miles a day to work and boosting it a lot was not safe?

Damn, that's news to me.</TD></TR></TABLE> not even one is as lucky as you. personally i'd atleast pistons, rods, and valvetrain to have a little peice of mind. think of a rebuild with parts that can take more abuse.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:36 AM

Default Re: Best integra for boosting? (UNKNOWN_MEMBER)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by UNKNOWN_MEMBER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> not even one is as lucky as you. personally i'd atleast pistons, rods, and valvetrain to have a little peice of mind. think of a rebuild with parts that can take more abuse. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No, not everyone lasts 35+ thousand miles on their boosted setup, but I firmly believe anyone with a proper tune who takes care of their car will have it last a long time even at those boost/power levels. I would start my car and let it idle to warm up EVERY morning when I was driving it to work, untill the water and oil got up to temp, and even if I made some hard WOT pulls I wouldn't bang it off the limiter.

I've been DD'ing my Corvette lately when it's nice out, and it makes about 550 RWHP naturally aspirated. Most people think you can't make that much power out of a N/A motor and have the valvesprings survive on the street, but with proper maintainance and care you can get a lot of mileage/life out of anything.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No, not everyone lasts 35+ thousand miles on their boosted setup, but I firmly believe anyone with a proper tune who takes care of their car will have it last a long time even at those boost/power levels. I would start my car and let it idle to warm up EVERY morning when I was driving it to work, untill the water and oil got up to temp, and even if I made some hard WOT pulls I wouldn't bang it off the limiter.

I've been DD'ing my Corvette lately when it's nice out, and it makes about 550 RWHP naturally aspirated. Most people think you can't make that much power out of a N/A motor and have the valvesprings survive on the street, but with proper maintainance and care you can get a lot of mileage/life out of anything.</TD></TR></TABLE> yea you can get life out of anything but who modifys their motors to baby it? i know i built my motors to take the abuse with knowing that since i added aftermarket stuff, **** can happen. to keep it short and simple, if you can't afford to rebuild the motor, then don't boost too much, for a gsr motor keep it around the 230-250hp range, that alone is good enough for a daily driver. i personally had a bone stock gsr on 30r blow within 2weeks with a good tune from whitfield racing did i beat the **** out of it? hell yea i did
Old 01-16-2007, 03:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just because hes getting high miles out of his built motors, DOES NOT mean hes babying the the thing.

Ask him, i bet he beats the **** out of both of them, but also takes care of them.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thx guys but uhh if i ran a gsr with 7psi and a ls at 10psi or 12psi what wuold be faster and also u can put a good turbo at 7psi safely and u can hae 250whp
Old 01-16-2007, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dont go by PSI. it doesn't mean jack **** unless everyone has the same exact turbo. just take it to get it tuned and make 300. thats a good power level and it will last you a long time. everything will last as long as you take care of it and do maint.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bigbadboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bigbadboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont go by PSI. it doesn't mean jack **** unless everyone has the same exact turbo. just take it to get it tuned and make 300. thats a good power level and it will last you a long time. everything will last as long as you take care of it and do maint.</TD></TR></TABLE>

correct. it's not about psi...it's about hp. you can have 30 psi and 200hp and everything should be ok. acually if you had 30psi and 200hp something is wrong, but it is an example.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Best integra for boosting? (93supercoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93supercoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just because hes getting high miles out of his built motors, DOES NOT mean hes babying the the thing.

Ask him, i bet he beats the **** out of both of them, but also takes care of them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! I don't know if I would say I beat the **** out of them, but I definitely don't abuse my motors and I take care of them.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by UNKNOWN_MEMBER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> yea you can get life out of anything but who modifys their motors to baby it? i know i built my motors to take the abuse with knowing that since i added aftermarket stuff, **** can happen. to keep it short and simple, if you can't afford to rebuild the motor, then don't boost too much, for a gsr motor keep it around the 230-250hp range, that alone is good enough for a daily driver. i personally had a bone stock gsr on 30r blow within 2weeks with a good tune from whitfield racing did i beat the **** out of it? hell yea i did </TD></TR></TABLE>

That just tells me you probably abused your motor, and nothing else. Did I ever say I baby my cars? My commute to work is about 35 miles each way. I always leave early for work and hit the freeway before there's any traffic, and I don't think I went to work one day where it hasn't been raining that I havn't done atleast a few 3/4 gear pulls. I went to the drag strip with it, did two HPDE's, autocrossing, and lots of mucking around on the street. Take care of it and it will last. I somewhat agree with you that if you don't have the money to rebuild the motor you shouldn't be pushing it too hard, but it has been proven time and time again that a safe zone for a GSR motor is a lot higher than 230 WHP.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! I don't know if I would say I beat the **** out of them, but I definitely don't abuse my motors and I take care of them.

That just tells me you probably abused your motor, and nothing else. Did I ever say I baby my cars? My commute to work is about 35 miles each way. I always leave early for work and hit the freeway before there's any traffic, and I don't think I went to work one day where it hasn't been raining that I havn't done atleast a few 3/4 gear pulls. I went to the drag strip with it, did two HPDE's, autocrossing, and lots of mucking around on the street. Take care of it and it will last. I somewhat agree with you that if you don't have the money to rebuild the motor you shouldn't be pushing it too hard, but it has been proven time and time again that a safe zone for a GSR motor is a lot higher than 230 WHP.</TD></TR></TABLE> explain to him exactly how you take care of your motor and how to prevent your ringlands from cracking. may i also ask how much power your gsr is making with the 30r?
Old 01-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so if i boght a decent turbo and put it on my b17a1 at 250whp it would be safe relaibleand fast?
Old 01-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my last car had a completely stock b18a with a blox im. made 290.1 hp 232 ft at 11 psi. (sc34) ran it like that the whole summer with a lot of autox'ing. sold the car in the fall and its still running today. beat the **** out of it ...oh and the motor had 151k mi on it
Old 01-16-2007, 01:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by UNKNOWN_MEMBER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> explain to him exactly how you take care of your motor and how to prevent your ringlands from cracking. may i also ask how much power your gsr is making with the 30r?</TD></TR></TABLE>

By making sure you have almost no timing in the car, and never beat on it when it's heatsoaked so that you don't detonate and crack ringlands.

I never dynoed it on the stock block, but compared to some results I've seen and how fast it is I would say in the neighbourhood of 315-330 WHP.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm on boosted92's side....but to add to the mix a bit:

It's been proven time and time again stock blocks are capable of making decent horsepower and being able to last. As someone else said good quality parts, a solid tune, and keeping up with the maintenance all share an equal part in making a stock motor making power levels like we're talking last. Is it risky? Sure, in some sense. You could get fuel slosh on a built block and grenade the motor, same goes for a stock setup.

I was worrysome a year and change ago when I made 330/250 on my stock gsr....and now it doesn't even phase me .

To the OP, best advice I can give you is cheap, reliable, fast....pick two. Don't get head over your heels right off the bat, do some research...and learn about what you want to get into. It's really rewarding when your done