Notices

Best a/c compatible turbo setup for B series?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best a/c compatible turbo setup for B series?

Who here is boosting with a/c? I don't want to supercharge because I want to keep my freeway mpg up. Just looking to make more power than stock and keep the a/c. This is for B18C1 in eg hatch.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:36 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

You really won't be getting responses here, as this question is redundant in so many ways.

I'll be nice by saying to look at the FAQs, regarding " which manifold is right for me?" To see manifold types, as there is no such thing as "best", only "best for you".

Look to your budget for quality of parts and utility for both the turbocharger itself, and the rest of the components. Educate yourself as to what components allow for a/c and which ones don't. Be meticulous in your investigation because there are literally hundreds of combinations that can work.

Look to the fuel type you plan to run, and the purpose of the car.

It helps to look into specific engine forums to see which turbo setup/ chassis combinations are most suitable. For example, if you have a CRX, a/c is not happening with a B-series without extensive custom fabrication ..

There's your start. Good luck to you

Last edited by TheShodan; 05-30-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best a/c compatible turbo setup for B series?

Thanks for the response. I've looked into BWR manifold, but I didn't know if there were people on here that were already running setups with a/c. This car is just going to be a daily driver, I just want to boost the setup because, let's face it, stock motors are severely down on power. I want passing power as I drive on a 2 lane highway. It will not be a drag car or track car. As far as price, I don't care. Obviously the lower the better, but if I have to spend more to be sure the manifold will not crack, then so be it.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:27 PM

Well, see, you're already on the path to being unhappy, because it seems as though you're trying to have the same responsiveness, torque "fun" associated with smaller turbochargers, but your looking at BWR huge "ramhorn" styled manifolds that look at top end big power, that is not very controllable, for big turbos all BWR you think it's a/c compatible. Stop that ****. Look at the manifold link in the FAQs, and understand WHY that is a bad choice to begin with.

Look to power levels that street oriented. You haven't even stated which engine you're using. A B18a straight LS with a BWR makes no sense.. you'll be wondering why a grandmother in a Kia is out accelerating you..

Look to similar setups that exhibit the behaviours your looking for on the forums. Don't pick out any parts until you do all of this.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SpeedRacerEX-R
Who here is boosting with a/c? I don't want to supercharge because I want to keep my freeway mpg up. Just looking to make more power than stock and keep the a/c. This is for B18C1 in eg hatch.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a Greddy kit sitting on the floor in my garage, but I can't run it if I want to get rid of the power robbing 2" downpipe. Getting rid of

Therefore, I was thinking of keeping the turbo and getting a different manifold that way I could still make good power and keep a/c.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Just have someone make you a 2.5" elbow. It'll flow more then that turbo can produce.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:10 AM

And I'll take that manifold off your hands