Notices

best boostable honda/acura?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best boostable honda/acura?

i have decided to purchase a honda/acura over the talon/eclipse. i don't want to give up the boost though. the reason i changed is because i have seen a lot of honda/acura only cost like 3000 dollars. where the dsm i wanna get costs around 6000 dollars. my g/f has a 93 civic ex and i like the engine compartment simplicity on her car also. so my question is which car/engine is the best for boosting and doesn't break your wallet (approx $3000)?
Old 08-10-2004, 02:48 PM

Default Re: best boostable honda/acura? (dsmguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dsmguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> the reason i changed is because i have seen a lot of honda/acura only cost like 3000 dollars. where the dsm i wanna get costs around 6000 dollars.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not to mention crank-walk with certain year DSM's.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have both of them. 95 talon tsi awd and 94 gsr boosted. You will be spending more that $6k when you are done turbing a honda (car and turbo) unless you get a junkyard turbo kit. With the dsm, you dont have to worry about thieves as much as with a honda.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:50 PM

Well, it really depends on what your looking for. The Prelude Si motor (H23 non-vtec) is good because of the higher displacement and lower compression.

But I've also seen high numbers on LS motors (B18B) and GSR motors (B18C1). I would prob go with the LS motor in your case. The are cheap, easy to to find, fit in lots of Hondas, and it is very easy to find parts for it.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:55 PM

Default Re: best boostable honda/acura? (brryder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brryder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I With the dsm, you dont have to worry about thieves as much as with a honda. </TD></TR></TABLE>

True.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:58 PM

Default Re: best boostable honda/acura? (brryder)

i know i would spend more on a honda with the boost, but the thing is i can get the honda cheap and drive it while i save up for the turbo kit. my current car is ready to blow up on me anyday. so i need a driveable car for a descent price. which is why i want to by the honda right away for cheaper and not need a loan. then boost it when i get money saved up.

is it worth buying a 92-95 civic ex or si and swapping in the b18 then boosting? if yes then which b18 would a prefer? or just keep the d16z6 and boost it?

i am leary about boosting the d16z6 because the compression is like 12:1 and i was told that ideal boost compression is around 9:1. is it ok to boost an engine that has such a high compression?
Old 08-10-2004, 03:34 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dsmguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

is it worth buying a 92-95 civic ex or si and swapping in the b18 then boosting? if yes then which b18 would a prefer? or just keep the d16z6 and boost it?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

B18c1 + turbo =
Old 08-10-2004, 03:41 PM

You can boost a car with high compression but its not safe. The lower compression the safer your motor will be.

My brother has a 98 eclipse GST. After racing it and driving it hard, the engine developed crankwalk. We took it to roadraceengineering to do a 1G transplant and might aswell build it up too. It cost around 7k for the 1G transplant and pretty much upgraded everything. Not to mention that at the time the car cost 16k.

What i love about my GSR is that its so damn reliable. I raced that car for 2 years straight every weekend and the only thing that has broken was the damn stereo when it came flying off during a race. Aside from that, i drive it day in and day out. They hold their value better too.

You should just buy a 95 GSR. A little more but you will love it!! Good luck.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:59 PM

Default Re: best boostable honda/acura? (CalGSR99)

Honestly, there is no reason you couldn't get 300 hp without a motor swap, and stay cheaper than a swap as well. You could pick up a spare D series block under $100 if not for free...I think they just give em away these days, drop $1000 into forged internals and a good crank balance and bearings, then you've got a basically new motor.

Leave the head stock, through on some ARP head studs, piece together a turbo kit, and you can have a pretty decent setup under $4000 easily including internals. Cheaper if you're careful. If you want more than 325 or so, you're better off just swapping motors.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:18 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dsmguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i am leary about boosting the d16z6 because the compression is like 12:1 and i was told that ideal boost compression is around 9:1. is it ok to boost an engine that has such a high compression?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry man but the compression is 9:1 in a D16z6

EDIT: I do however agreee with Ibiza..build the motor and piece together a turbo kit. Hell you may even be able to pick up a Greddy kit for cheap. If you patient they can be had for a little over a thousand, Intercooler and BOV included. They only thing youll need to do is get decent fuel management.

Jon

Jon
Old 08-12-2004, 08:21 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dsmguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have decided to purchase a honda/acura over the talon/eclipse. i don't want to give up the boost though. the reason i changed is because i have seen a lot of honda/acura only cost like 3000 dollars. where the dsm i wanna get costs around 6000 dollars. my g/f has a 93 civic ex and i like the engine compartment simplicity on her car also. so my question is which car/engine is the best for boosting and doesn't break your wallet (approx $3000)?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have a 96 DB8 for a daily driver, and a 91 Talon TSI AWD as a toy.

I got the Talon for $2800. It came with a rebuilt engine (~4000 miles), small 16G, ported 2G manifold, ported O2 housing. Since getting it I've added a RRE downpipe, Apexi N1 exhaust, Walbro 255, and FTS AFPR. I'm running 15 psi on the stock 440's (close to the edge of whats smart, 98% duty cycle @ 6500 RPMS)

So I say if you want to be boosted, go with the DSM. It's boosted from the factory, and cheap to pick up. It can be reliable also depending on mods done and how its driven.

If you want something reliable then get the honda/acura, but if you boost it then you've added complexity and *usually* loose reliability.

*NOTE: I'm still new to the Honda game, but generally I've found this to be true.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:22 PM

Default Re: best boostable honda/acura? (Darksyne)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Darksyne &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If you want something reliable then get the honda/acura, but if you boost it then you've added complexity and *usually* loose reliability.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed. Their are a few components in Hondas that were just not designed for boost, and thus reduce the reliability once the car is boosted. For a first timer or if not using a well designed kit, this can be a real issue.

However, with some experience behind me now, I am starting to realize how simple and easy hondas are to boost. And taking into account the Honda weaknesses (or purchasing a kit that already takes these into account) in piecing together a forced induction setup, Hondas can actually be quite reliable boosted and even fuel efficient.

Some of the things that I have found to be a must:

Precise fuel management using upsized injectors and a larger fuel pump.

Oversized head studs and a well maintained cooling system (more important in D series, but a good thing for B as well)

Turbo designed for the proper application (obviously this is true of any turbocharged vehicle, but Hondas really do favor high flowing turbos such as hybrid T3/T4's)

Anyway, there are probably other things but those are some important factors that I can think of right now.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:31 PM

Default Re: best boostable honda/acura? (Ibiza)

Get an eg, build a custom turbo kit, and boost the d16z6. I spent about $1100 on my turbo kit and I am very happy with my numbers and times. Plus you can get d-series parts for dirt cheap. B-series is a better platform to start from though and you can make more horsepower form stock engines, but I am still sticking my my d-series.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:16 PM

SEARCH!!!!!!! question answered all ready