Notices

benefits of a MBC?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 06:39 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default benefits of a MBC?

sup guys...

if any... is there an advantage in getting a manual boost controller? say for example.. if i get me a XS HPBC, is there an advantage compared to a Greddy ProfecB? XS claims that their boost controllers spool faster. i wonder if this is true or just exaggerated BS. i dont like electronic boost controllers that much... so i wanted to stick to something simple.

[Modified by dlplayboy, 7:40 PM 3/25/2002]
Old 03-25-2002, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: benefits of a MBC? (dlplayboy)

Spools faster than w/o any boost controller at all. Which is true. If you run w/ a boost controller the wg stays closed until full boost is reached.
Old 03-25-2002, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: benefits of a MBC?

i've got a question about manual boost controllers. the basic design for one as i understand it is a spring that presses a ball into a seat. to adjust the boost your compress the spring and make the ball press harder into the seat. so when boost pressure passes the ball doesn't it become trapped in the line from the controller to the wastegate? how does the wastegate shut between shifts if the pressure is trapped and causing it to see boost all the time? does the wastegate vent the port that sees boost after it opens and require continued boost to stay open?
Old 03-25-2002, 09:57 PM
New User

Default Re: benefits of a MBC? (racerxadam)

anyone else?
Old 03-25-2002, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definetly not recommend the manual boost controllers. Dont get me wrong, I'm not yet turbo, but I had a good friend that used one in his DSM. They are hard as hell to control, especially since its a must that they stay mounted under the hood. It would always boost spike. They arent worth the $5 it cost to make them.
Old 03-27-2002, 07:09 PM

Default Re: benefits of a MBC? (93LSivic)

Turbo XS Boost controllers are very nice and they work very well. Turbo XS has a duel stage boost contoller, with a flip of a switch mounted inside the cabin you can run from 6psi to any psi. Its a neat little gadget. When using a manual boost controller you are keeping it simple. Alot of the electronical boost controllers out there will require someone to play with or tune the sucker. If you dont have it set to the right configs it will run very bad! I had a avcr on my car, it would act funny when i fugged up a setting. On the AVCR I tried to bleed in the boost by increments of rpm. I thought I had it set up pretty damm good, however when I took it for a drive it fell on its face and ran like doodoo. After that I just put it back to the way it was and it ran a lot better, till someone else played around with it and it ran much better after that.

Like Art says - Keep It Simple
Old 03-27-2002, 08:11 PM

Default Re: benefits of a MBC? (ekb18c)

I guess its the over all simplicity of it. I have used the AVCR and noticed boost fluctuating on my old car. Besides that, it took me very long to set the boost on each RPM level, I had to do alot of test runs to find a ideal setting for me. I later ditched it and switched over to the Turbo XS dual stage because I heard a couple of RX7 and Supra guys talking about it and havent complained since. Low and high boost setting with the flip of a switch. Simple and easy to use, but its all in your preference. Many guys prefer electronic because of the wonders of technology and the on going possible settings.
Old 03-27-2002, 09:27 PM
New User

Default Re: benefits of a MBC? (93LSivic)

I would definetly not recommend the manual boost controllers. Dont get me wrong, I'm not yet turbo, but I had a good friend that used one in his DSM. They are hard as hell to control, especially since its a must that they stay mounted under the hood. It would always boost spike. They arent worth the $5 it cost to make them.
actually, i wouldnt recommend using one of those $5 homemade ones either. they are not reliable at all. i rather get a mbc like a turboXS one.
Old 03-28-2002, 07:03 AM

I would recommend doing some good reading. I have one of these 5$ mbc that you guys speak of and it has worked great for me. If you don't build them right they will not work. If you are too lazy or don't have enough confidence in yourself to build one, go to boostcontroller.com and get the Joe P one. It will work perfectly. Guaranteed.