Notices

baffling in a catch can

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default baffling in a catch can

I've been spending quite a lot of time reading the recent and archived posts about catch cans and how to install them and I'm still just wondering on the baffling. I've heard that steel wool may not be preferable because little chunks may fly in the intake manifold or compressor so what else should I use? Someone suggested cooper wool. Any other suggestions?

Finally, with regards to baffling, how much should you stuff into the the catch can? Are we talking crammed or just a bit like half?
Old 04-11-2003, 07:53 AM
New User

Default Re: baffling in a catch can (ludelvr)

My opinions only:

The can should be pretty full but air should pass through easily with minimal restriction. Steel wool works, but you should ahve a very course stuff. Copper is better since it conducts heat better (which is the point), but be sure again that it is course enought to let air though easily.

The best thing you could do is rebuild the accumulator on the back of the engine with a better baffling setup. It is essentially a catch-can already, but it drains back to the crankcase. Improve that and you won't need a catch can.

Randy
Old 04-11-2003, 08:42 AM
Banned

Default Re: baffling in a catch can (RGAZ)

I went to advanced auto and bought a crankcase breather filter. I kept the filtering media in their and connected it to the intake hose side of the breather can. THe shape of the breather lets air enter only from one angle. If you face it towards the top of the can then it will only let air out of the catch can from the top. If you face the oil infested hose coming in from the valve cover to the bottom of the can, gravit will keep it their. Whatever few vapors try to get out will be traped by the filtering media. Your catchcan should have no more restriction than the OEM piece of hose. If it does you will blow oil out your seals under boost. THis includes valve cover seals, cam seals, and crank bearing seals. Wanna know how I know LOL? 16g turbo + 15psi of boost owned me!