Notices

bad turbo seals?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 01:19 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad turbo seals?

a friend of mine came over the other day and we ran some tests. he seems to be havin the same "smoke" problem im having. his compression test passed across the cylinders. i looked under his car and noticed traces of oil on the bottom of his intercooler piping. (charge pipe). i looked at the bolts on the turbo and it shows signs of oil. im thinkin his turbo seals are blown and the smoke is a result of the oil leakage.

also, a weird thing i noticed. when i put the ignition to on, right before i crank it up, i hear a humming noise. its not a smooth flow... but rather a clogged and stutter and then passive flow until i crank up the engine. what is that noise that being produced right before the car starts in power? im thinkin its the fuel pump?
Old 05-30-2003, 02:48 AM

Default Re: bad turbo seals? (SIK IN DA HED)

yup, i'm having the same problem too. does it especially smoke a lot when you're engine's cold? i noticed i get smoke when the motor is cold but goes away when it's warmed up.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:49 AM

Default Re: bad turbo seals? (theory48)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i noticed i get smoke when the motor is cold but goes away when it's warmed up. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah thats the exact same problem i have...except mine smokes BAD, and I mean REAL BAD
Old 06-03-2003, 12:41 AM
New User

has anyone had their turbo seal blow?
Old 06-04-2003, 10:05 AM

i don't know, i'm thinking it's my turbo seals but some people are saying that it can be the valve seal to. which is the reason why the smoke seems to go away when it's warmed up. but, i've ran compression checks and the results were 190, 190, 180, 190 so not really sure what's goin on.
Old 06-04-2003, 10:55 AM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by theory48 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i don't know, i'm thinking it's my turbo seals but some people are saying that it can be the valve seal to. which is the reason why the smoke seems to go away when it's warmed up. but, i've ran compression checks and the results were 190, 190, 180, 190 so not really sure what's goin on. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i guess one way to narrow it down is by taking off the turbo...
Old 06-05-2003, 12:55 AM

yup, i took off the turbo tonite so we'll see in the morning. let's hope is the turbo cuz i'm in no situation to take off the head and get inside the motor
Old 06-05-2003, 03:35 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by theory48 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yup, i took off the turbo tonite so we'll see in the morning. let's hope is the turbo cuz i'm in no situation to take off the head and get inside the motor</TD></TR></TABLE>

so whatyd the turbo look like??lotsa oil?what about manifold?? oil in the beginning of manifold(where it connects to head)?? oil coming out of the head? if the answer is no the the secnd 2 questions its not the valve seals
Old 06-05-2003, 03:47 AM

Default Re: bad turbo seals? (GOLDBERG)

how can you tell if u have a blown turbo seal

with my car , when i hold the rev at say 6000rpm , it smokes badly blueish/greyish colour , is that my rings fucked or the turbo seal

i rebuilt my turbo like 2 years ago

thanks
Old 06-05-2003, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: bad turbo seals?

i'm also having the same damn problem...[ur]https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=520275[/url]

mine happens when i boost, if i don't boost or drive below 3k i don't get any damn smoke. if the engine is cold it doesn't smoke at all. i took off my charge pipe and didn't see any traces of oil at all. even the inside the compressor housing was very clean so that mean it's my turbine side oil seal.

i'm hoping that it's my oil pressure that's causing it coz i filled too much semi synthetic oil and the oil level is slightly covering the top hole on the dipstick. i'll try to drain some oil and take off the pcv (i read about plugged pcv can cause smoking) over the weekend and see if it fixes the problem. if not then i don't know what else to do.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:41 AM

I just found out my seals blew. My car was smoking a little at first, and use to go away. But then it started to smoke really bad. The wierd thing is i thought the smoke was more white then blue so I was gonna take my head off. But in the process, I find oil in the exhaust side of the turbo, and there was shaft play. I'm still planning to change out my head gasket and some new arp head studs just to be safe.