Notices

Blown turbo seal (i think)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown turbo seal (i think)

Hope someone can help me out with this. A couple days ago i started to notice a cloud of smoke coming out of my exhaust. When i would down shift and let the motor wind down then get back on it, this is when you see alot of smoke. It also started to smoke alot when I would start it up in the morning. I did a compression test and i got 175 across the board on a gsr. Isn't 150 the bare minimum? I'm guessing the rings are ok. The only other thing i can think it can be is my turbo seal or my valve seals. I say my turbo seals because i have a -4an oil feed line going to the turbo. The turbo is a t3/t4. Is the line to big. Hope someone can help me out with this.

thank you
Old 02-25-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Blown turbo seal (malaya)

take your charge pipe off of the intercooler and see if there is oil in it. if there is then turbo seal is the problem. in my case, there was a shitload of oil in there, along with a large pool of oil having a powwow in my intercooler.

also, check the radiator for oil in the coolant and change the oil and see if it is milky

the white smoke from the exhaust can sometimes be headgasket related

hope that helps
Old 02-25-2005, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Blown turbo seal (Evanmb44)

Thanks. I checked the radiator already and didn't see any oil in the coolant. I also took the valve cover off and the oil looked normal to me. It didn't look milky or thinned out. i'll check my IC and piping tonight. Does anyone have any other ideas?
Old 02-25-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Blown turbo seal (malaya)

even if there is no oil in the charge pipes it could be a turbo seal aswell. happened to me, my car smoked like hell but there was no oil in the charge piping. it turned out to just be the exhuast side seal on the turbo. and since you have the -4an line i'm guessing thats the problem, get a restrictor in there. good luck.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Blown turbo seal (rideblitz)

After I first installed my turbo--it had sat un-used for about 4 months that I know of--I got a tiny bit of oil in my charge pipes, and all the way to my bov.

No smoke ever, turbo runs great, and now when I check from time to time their is still just a tiny bit before the intercooler. Not to steal a thread, but do you think it is anything to worry about?

I thought maybe the seal just needed to get some oil on it again (had dried up) to get a good seal. possible?
Old 02-25-2005, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Blown turbo seal (Mr_Bojangles)

I'm not to worried about it. Just because the car pulls hard like it should. But when I have smoke coming out of my tail pipe that's telling me something isn't right. I'll be pulliing off my piping tomorrow and hopefully it's just the seal in my turbo.

Thanks for all the help everyone.