Notices

BackroadCR-V's High Mileage B18C1 + Boost Progress Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: BackroadCR-V's High Mileage B18C1 + Boost Progress Build Thread

So after more research I decided I would not disturb the stock headgasket. I did want to check them and I had these CTR/ITR cams so that gave me extra nudge to do the job. I checked all the head bolts at 65ftlbs and they were all solid as a rock. That made me feel real good about keeping everything together undisturbed.

This one owner car was so nicely taken care of. Huge service record where the car was serviced at Acura dealerships at all service intervals. Oil changed like clock work every 3000miles. After 230,000 miles of good mantainence this is what you get.

I'd say that pretty damn nice for such high milage.

So I installed the CTR/ITR cams, and I'm sure they'll make a nice addition. I won't have to run as much boost to hit my power goal. Plus I hope they'll help keep power to redline, where as the GSR cams drop off in power before that. Redline will remain at 8000RPM.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did some street tuning on these CTR cams and yeah they certainly pull up top. Hit the rev limiter for the 1st time in a long time because they pull all the way to 8000. I'm use to feeling the power start to drop off before 8000 with the GSR cams. These are gonna be a nice addition to the build.

Got the Comp clutch and new axels installed today. Also got my header and exhuast removed. Stock fans and a few other small things removed.

Prepping for this weekend as FedEx says I have a couple big packages schedualed to arrive tomorrow 👍🏼

Last edited by backroadCR-V; 07-01-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I got my kit from Autoworks and I couldn't be happier. Everything exactly how I wanted it. Not a single part unaccounted for. The downpipe and recirculated dumptube combo is beautiful. Thank you Greg @ Go-Autoworks!

So far I've just been going through everything. Test fitting and making sure everything is gonna clear. All looks good! I don't see how a bigger kit can fit in this space with full Rad, PS & AC. The one change I decided to make was move the driver side Rad Fan to the front. It's a slim fan and could have fit but woulda been tight. Using it as a Pusher gave me all the space than I needed and more.

Ive got a feeling this little turbo is gonna be awesome!
Old 06-18-2017, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow what a Fathers Day! Kids, grandparents, and great grandparents in the morning.... and from noon on, looooots of progress on the turbo kit. Best part about Father's Day is you get all the uninterrupted garage time you want lol.

Funny how I knew I was turboing a car that's wasn't originally made for a turbo... but as I'm actually doing it, I TRULY now know what that means. This AutoWorks kit is great and it's been as painless as it could be.... that said there's still lots of little relocations and custom bits you gotta do. All to be expected really. Though I'll say it again I can't imagine trying to install a bigger kit that was more jam packed. I see EXACTLY why most ppl have PS & AC deleted with their turbo kit. That said... I'm super happy with my AutoWorks kit and everything has really gone as smoothly as possible.

That's it for the fitment testing. Later this week I'll bolt everything in place, hook up water and oil lines. Still gotta do the oil return in the pan. Fuel pump and fuel injectors too. The goal is to have it rolling by next weekend. So far so good 👍🏼
Old 06-19-2017, 02:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Lookin good
Old 06-19-2017, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Clean install so far. Looks like you could use some extended exhaust studs, and locking nuts are a good idea too. Keep up the good work man.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
Clean install so far. Looks like you could use some extended exhaust studs, and locking nuts are a good idea too. Keep up the good work man.
yeah I thought to order new studs because I had a stock stub break from my Mugen header install, BUT I didn't think to order extended studs. And those are locking nuts. Anyways new set of extended studs are on the way
Old 06-22-2017, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Progress is still being made everyday. Starting to bolt things In for keeps now. Yesterday got the turbo coolant line hooked up. Also clamped down all the intercooler pipes and started mock-up of a intake pipe. Will be building a sheetmetal air box for it

Today hooked up the turbo oil feed line. Also installed the drain fitting into the oil pan, as well as the My Honda Habit stud and gasket kit too. That allowed me to complete the downpipe install for keeps

Still gotta cut the turbo oil drain line to size and hook it up. Once that's done I can instal the last intercooler pipe off the turbo and be done with turbo-kit install under the car. Just exhuast left underneath then done!

After that it's just fuel pump, Injectors then add fluids. Were getting close to a 1st start 👍🏼
Old 06-23-2017, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I like the updates 👍 Getting close man!

Are you street tuning or taking it to a dyno?
Old 06-23-2017, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
I like the updates 👍 Getting close man!

Are you street tuning or taking it to a dyno?
Im gonna street tune at 1st to work out the ruff stuff. I'm lucky to have a big variety of terrain in my area. Long steady hills that I can use to load the car at part trottle. I'll be Tuning in increments of 6, 8, 10psi using WG springs that I have. That'll get me driving safely.

Later I'll rent a dyno for a couple hours to fine tune, and increase boost if needed to reach my power goal. Minimum of 300, and maybe more like 320-330whp.

Final power result will largely depend on how low boost tuning goes. If I start to see excessive smoke or anything at lower boost, Ill leave it at low boost. That'll allow me to still enjoy the car while I get a future block built.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am DONE under the car! Double and triple checked complete

Again want to give a big thanks to AutoWorks! Fitment is excellent. Its hard to tell in the pictures, but none of the components are touching. I can get atleast 1 finger in between anything and that's as close as it gets.

Exhuast knocked out tonight too

Got a busy work weekend ahead, but hopefully Sunday will allow me time to instal the fuel pump and injectors. Would be SWEET if I could post a 1st start video Sunday night!

Last edited by backroadCR-V; 07-30-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Looking fantastic!
Old 06-25-2017, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sweetness

Make sure you got speakers with base. The exhuast note with the extra mid-pipe muffler installed... super deep and nice; zero rice

Last edited by backroadCR-V; 06-25-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got wheels on her today and... OMG 6 POUNDS of BOOOST what!!?!!! Thing pulls like a raped ape compared to where it was before!! Can't believe it pulls this hard at 6psi. More like 6.8 but damn I'm shocked. When I got the low cam tuned and the 1st time I let it rev out into the Vtec cam I was literally like "OH MY GOOOD!" It's just the difference is absolutely night and day. Part throttle driving is FUN now! I picked the perfect turbo; so glad i didn't go bigger. Even in 2nd gear it hits 6psi before 4000RPM. Gives SUCH great low end torque. Part throttle power is excellent. This is absolutely gonna be the fun little street car I wanted. Good news is there's no signs of engine fatigue or wear, I have no worries about increasing the boost but I could seriously enjoy it just as it is. It's such a nice upgrade even at 6psi. BUT lol once I get 6psi fine tuned I'll have to put in the 8lb spring 👍🏼
Old 06-27-2017, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sweet man! I had the same experience when I started tuning my current gsr with stc hunter turbo. These little vtec engines are so much fun with boost. Why not setup pwm boost control in hondata with a 3 port instead of swapping wg springs? Boost by gear is nice especially when you start turning it up, witch I'm sure you will soon enough
Old 06-28-2017, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

6lbs will feel like nothing pretty soon here lol
Old 06-28-2017, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good progress. looks good
Old 06-28-2017, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice work man, subscribed
Old 06-28-2017, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The fitment on that kit is amazing! Go-AutoWorks makes some quality parts thats for sure!
Old 06-29-2017, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hah I JUST put in the 8lb spring today. Got the 6lb tuned pretty decent yesterday so why not right 😉 Havent had a chance to try the 8lb'er yet but I'm sure it's gonna rocket

one thing I did yesterday that I'm not pleased with... I decided to buy some billet/poly front torque mounts because I felt the stock mounts with poly inserts was a little soft and a cheap workaround. I bought the billet mounts with softer 75A durometer polyurethane thinking it would be soft enough and not rattle the whole car. FAIL!!! Rattles the SHIET outta the car! I hate it. The stock mounts with poly inserts were so nice but the motor moved just a little too much for my liking. The performance of the new mounts is perfect, except they vibrate the car too much. Gonna try to pad some panels and see if that'll stop some rattles. I may have to live with it (kinda the devil in the details sorta thing) but first impressions is that the vibration sucks *** even with the softer poly.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yup comes with power tho lol
Old 06-29-2017, 12:03 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by backroadCR-V
Hah I JUST put in the 8lb spring today. Got the 6lb tuned pretty decent yesterday so why not right 😉 Havent had a chance to try the 8lb'er yet but I'm sure it's gonna rocket

one thing I did yesterday that I'm not pleased with... I decided to buy some billet/poly front torque mounts because I felt the stock mounts with poly inserts was a little soft and a cheap workaround. I bought the billet mounts with softer 75A durometer polyurethane thinking it would be soft enough and not rattle the whole car. FAIL!!! Rattles the SHIET outta the car! I hate it. The stock mounts with poly inserts were so nice but the motor moved just a little too much for my liking. The performance of the new mounts is perfect, except they vibrate the car too much. Gonna try to pad some panels and see if that'll stop some rattles. I may have to live with it (kinda the devil in the details sorta thing) but first impressions is that the vibration sucks *** even with the softer poly.
What I did as a nice go between was use an Ingall's Engine Damper "Stiffy", vs. going with completely solid mounts. Especially with a torque-maker that you have with that particular setup. I personally left my OEM torque mount, and went with HASport street mounts and the engine dampener. No additional vibration in the cabin.
J's Racing used to be one of the 1st companies to come out with theirs years ago, but fitment was always customized because they were originally designed to be mounted on an engine with the brake fluid reservoir to be on the U.S. Passenger side ('cuz JDM ) But the Ingall's one is very nice and is completely adjustable.

Just an idea for further investigation.

Name:  etd2.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  27.9 KB
Old 07-01-2017, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
What I did as a nice go between was use an Ingall's Engine Damper "Stiffy", vs. going with completely solid mounts. Especially with a torque-maker that you have with that particular setup. I personally left my OEM torque mount, and went with HASport street mounts and the engine dampener. No additional vibration in the cabin.
J's Racing used to be one of the 1st companies to come out with theirs years ago, but fitment was always customized because they were originally designed to be mounted on an engine with the brake fluid reservoir to be on the U.S. Passenger side ('cuz JDM ) But the Ingall's one is very nice and is completely adjustable.

Just an idea for further investigation.

I like it! ill have to give it a try.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I hope anyone who's reading this will take my word on this.... ***Do NOT under estimate the performance of a cast turbo manifold. Unless you're trying for crazy HP numbers, you need to consider a cast manifold.

I'm at 10psi now... I'm telling you its a mini rocket. This little car moves out! The car has been COMPLETLY transformed. It's beyond saying "night & day difference". The turbo is so responsive and street friendly. Spools so easy around town at part throttle. And at WOT it pulls ALLLL the way to redline. With the ctr/itr cams it's just begging for me to raise the rev limit; there's ZERO drop off in power at 8000RPM. With my past experimace in cars, I'd be shocked if I wasn't over 300whp now.

Needless to say I'm absolutely happy with it. I have some fine air/fuel tuning to do. I'm at 20' of timing an no knock. I was previously at 22' timing and saw 1-count of knock, on one occasion during a 4th gear pull. After that pull, I lowered it to 20' and there's been no knock. I'll build a airbox for cooler intake temps too. I expect finer tuning and cooler IAT to both increase my power some. BUT for now I'm very happy at this power level for a stock 230,000 mile motor lol. There's zero smoke out the back, no leaks, no issues, no nothing. All with ice cold air conditioning and easy parking lot power steering. Gotta love it

Old 07-02-2017, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome, I'm glad everything went pretty smoothly and you're enjoying the car. Planning on keeping it forever? In interested in how long the stock engine will hold up considering how many miles are already on it :D

Quick Reply: BackroadCR-V's High Mileage B18C1 + Boost Progress Build Thread