Notices

Back From the Dyno with the Built B16.........

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back From the Dyno with the Built B16.........

Well we finally got the built motor in and running yesterday and fine tweeked it today. Final numbers are 376whp & 252ftlb of torque @ 15psi on 93 Octane and reving to 8700 RPM....880's are at 64% duty cycle, timing is 21 degrees, and A/F is around 12.1/12.2. Was hoping for 400+ on pump gas, but as many said online, the 10.5:1 compression pistons did limit me. Next week we are going to be putting in my STR Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, and 1000cc injectors and be tuning on race gas. Thanks to everyone who has lended me advise on the build and that has helped out with things along the way!

**UPDATE**We retuned the car with the 1000cc injectors, Aeromotive FPR, STR Fuel Rail, & New Distributor and did a compression test....Compression was a flat 200 across the board meaning that my compression is more like 10:1.....moved timing back to 19 degrees and make 401whp/267ftlb of torque @ 16lbs on 93 octane. Also figured out that the pistons that I have which were 84mm, 10.5:1 for a b18 are actually yielding a 10.1:1 Compression Ratio in my motor which works out a little bit better. . Will have dyno charts up soon...**

Below is a link to pics of the Dyno Chart and some motor pics-->
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/...iew=t
&
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/...hotos

Details of Build-->
B16 Block:

-84mm with Darton Sleeves
-84mm JE 10.5:1 Pistons
-Crower Rods
-ARP Head Studs
-Fluidamper Harmonic Balancer Pulley

B16a2 Head:
-Stock Headgasket
-Ferrea Valves
-REV Springs/Retainers
-JG Victor X Intake Manifold
-Hondata Intake Manifold Gasket

Turbo Setup:
-Precision GT35E Turbo
-Inline Pro Manifold
-Tial 38mm Wastegate w/ .7 bar spring
-HKS SS BOV
-2.5" Downpipe to a custom 3" Stainless Steel Exhaust
-Fast-turbo.com Oil Feed/Return Lines

Electronics:
-AVCR Boost Controller
-Greddy 52mm White Boost Gauge
-Greddy 52mm White EGT Gauge

Fuel and Ignition:
-Hondata S200B
-Precision 880 Injectors (next week will be installing the Precision 1000cc Injectors)
-STR Fuel Rail
-Aeromotive FPR
-Walbro 255 In Tank Fuel Pump
-MSD 6A
-Blaster 2 Coil
-MSD Cap

Drivetrain:
-b16a2 Tranny
-ACT Double XT Clutch with SS Disc
-Gator Stage 2 Axles
-4 15" Rota C8's in Bronze with 205/50/15 Yokohama AVS ES100
-2 15" Rota C8's in Bronze with 205/50/15 BFG G-Force Drag Radials

Suspension:
-Tein SS Coilover System
-Stock Front Strut Tower Brace
-Top Speed Rear Strut Tower Brace
-Skunk2 Rear Lower Tie Bar

Misc:
-Fluidyine Radiator with Slimline Fan
-B&M Slimline AC Condensor with Slimline Fan
-Place Racing Motor Mounts all the way around
-Recaro SRD's
-Greddy Oil Catch Can

Modified by Bulldogg83 at 10:32 PM 8/8/2004
Old 07-30-2004, 02:28 PM
New User

Default Re: Back From the Dyno with the Built B16......... (Bulldogg83)

Nice numbers
Old 07-30-2004, 02:47 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

Awesome numbers from a B16. Are you planning to take it down the 1320 anytime soon?
Old 07-30-2004, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Back From the Dyno with the Built B16......... (Civic Power)

hell yeah brian. nice numbers. i'm not keeping up with you now. why did you go with 10.5 to 1 pistons. just wondering.

now come get these hid's from me. and take me for a ride.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:54 PM

stoney did some nice work on the intercooler pipeing. how you like that fluidamper. is that new also?
Old 07-30-2004, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Back From the Dyno with the Built B16......... (b20turbojason)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NVturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Awesome numbers from a B16. Are you planning to take it down the 1320 anytime soon?</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol....yeah I'll be taking it down the 1320 next weekend for the NHRA event...I am 100% sure that I am going to run on Friday night @ the Test/Tune, but not sure if I am going to enter the actual event yet as I have no cage or scatter shield incase I did break an 11.....

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b20turbojason &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hell yeah brian. nice numbers. i'm not keeping up with you now. why did you go with 10.5 to 1 pistons. just wondering.

now come get these hid's from me. and take me for a ride.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll be picking those up from you next week as you can tell I've been mad busy. Stoney @ VSV in Carrollton did a kickass job on everything and I went high compression because I wanted to be different on the setup since most people go low compression and I want to make a good amount of power on race gas. And yes the Fluidamper is new.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it will be good to see you car w/ out all the oil spills and smoke

now go take it and win some races.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Back From the Dyno with the Built B16......... (espanol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by espanol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it will be good to see you car w/ out all the oil spills and smoke

now go take it and win some races. </TD></TR></TABLE>

we'll see what happens at Ennis next week
Old 07-30-2004, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good numbers
Old 07-30-2004, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Back From the Dyno with the Built B16......... (redturbocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">good numbers</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks
Old 07-31-2004, 07:42 AM

I thought the A/F would be alittle cleaner (straighter) and the powerband wouldnt be so choppy up top . . . but who am I to critique, I can't tune. Nice numbers and keep an eye on that engine ! ! !
Old 07-31-2004, 07:46 AM

Default Re: Back From the Dyno with the Built B16......... (AVATAR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AVATAR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I thought the A/F would be alittle cleaner (straighter) and the powerband wouldnt be so choppy up top . . . but who am I to critique, I can't tune. Nice numbers and keep an eye on that engine ! ! ! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Reason the dyno graph looks like that is because we didn't using a smoothing factor at all. We did it once with a smoothing factor of 5 on the dynojet computer and it made everything look nice and pretty, but I wanted to show what my car is really doing.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:50 AM

Wow brian thats awesome, b16 what

Can't wait to see it at the track
Old 07-31-2004, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Back From the Dyno with the Built B16......... (quikB18B)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quikB18B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow brian thats awesome, b16 what

Can't wait to see it at the track</TD></TR></TABLE>

you coming on Friday to Ennis??????????
Old 07-31-2004, 07:54 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bulldogg83 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you coming on Friday to Ennis??????????</TD></TR></TABLE>

So the event is Saturday and Sunday, and Friday is Test and Tune?

When is Hot Import Nights? Were supposed to go there too

But ill be at the event for sure.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:06 AM

Default Re: Back From the Dyno with the Built B16......... (quikB18B)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quikB18B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So the event is Saturday and Sunday, and Friday is Test and Tune?

When is Hot Import Nights? Were supposed to go there too

But ill be at the event for sure.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Test/Tune is Friday @ Ennis and than the event is Sat/Sun @ Ennis....HIN is 5pm-12am on Saturday.....
Old 07-31-2004, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

great #'s. can u boost more on pump w/o changing injectors?
so close, im sure if u had open exhaust u would be over 400hp.

how come u did ur build up so fast and we are still waiting for stan and arturbo to get their's finished and its been over 2 yrs.

way to go man
Old 07-31-2004, 08:28 AM

Default Re: Back From the Dyno with the Built B16......... (stick)

Ncie numbers and set up
Old 07-31-2004, 08:43 AM

Default Re: Back From the Dyno with the Built B16......... (stick)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">great #'s. can u boost more on pump w/o changing injectors?
so close, im sure if u had open exhaust u would be over 400hp.

how come u did ur build up so fast and we are still waiting for stan and arturbo to get their's finished and its been over 2 yrs.

way to go man </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol....I Figured that I should go ahead and get my build done now while I had the money and also before I got married. Art/Stan's cars are coming along, slowly, but they are almost done. If you come to Ennis next week you might get a peak at them.

As far as making more power....we are going to be putting in the 1000cc injectors next week for race gas, but my 880's were only at 64% duty cycle on 93 Octane. After driving the car last night around town I am really happy with the 376....sure it would be tight to say I have 400+, but traction was hard enough with just the 376. I think that is plenty for the street for right now, and I'll have the big numbers for the track.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:56 AM
Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bulldogg83 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

As far as making more power....we are going to be putting in the 1000cc injectors next week for race gas, but my 880's were only at 64% duty cycle on 93 Octane. After driving the car last night around town I am really happy with the 376....sure it would be tight to say I have 400+, but traction was hard enough with just the 376. I think that is plenty for the street for right now, and I'll have the big numbers for the track. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think you'll find that you can make more power with less injector on race gas. With 880's you have plenty of injector for mid 400whp and probably closer to 500whp depending on how your car uses fuel.

EDIT:

Your graph also looks really smooth right before your torque crosses the 200 ft-lbs mark. Then it gets a little choppy. I'm by no means an expert on dynojets and their filtering but it might be worth your while to check your plugs after a pull to see if its detonating or not. More cylinder pressure creates more TORQUE. More cylinder pressure also invokes detonation. If it were my car I'd back it off to 10 psi for the street. Also experimenting with adding more fuel and boost can sometimes surprise you. On my car I made 50 ft-lbs more torque by adding 2.6 psi boost and a little fuel to keep the knock away. I ended up with 275 foot lbs on a dynapack which is MUCH more conservitive than a dynojet. I was also pig rich, on the limit of misfiring. The car is much faster with that much torque on tap at 4000rpm's however!

Modified by danl at 10:06 AM 7/31/2004
Old 07-31-2004, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Back From the Dyno with the Built B16......... (danl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by danl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I think you'll find that you can make more power with less injector on race gas. With 880's you have plenty of injector for mid 400whp and probably closer to 500whp depending on how your car uses fuel.

EDIT:

Your graph also looks really smooth right before your torque crosses the 200 ft-lbs mark. Then it gets a little choppy. I'm by no means an expert on dynojets and their filtering but it might be worth your while to check your plugs after a pull to see if its detonating or not. More cylinder pressure creates more TORQUE. More cylinder pressure also invokes detonation. If it were my car I'd back it off to 10 psi for the street. Also experimenting with adding more fuel and boost can sometimes surprise you. On my car I made 50 ft-lbs more torque by adding 2.6 psi boost and a little fuel to keep the knock away. I ended up with 275 foot lbs on a dynapack which is MUCH more conservitive than a dynojet. I was also pig rich, on the limit of misfiring. The car is much faster with that much torque on tap at 4000rpm's however!

Modified by danl at 10:06 AM 7/31/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>

I actually have two setting on the street. With the AVCR it allows me to turn off my settings and allows it to run off just the wastegate which in my car is .7 bar which I am driving around on daily. For the times I need to or plan on using it, is when I turn it back up to 15lbs (1.1bar). I appreciate the input and I am actualyl going to do a compression test and check the spark plugs this week after letting the motor break in and stuff to make sure everything is doing fine. Thanks for all the responses and feedback!!!!
Old 07-31-2004, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you're running way way too much timing if your true timing is at 21 degrees at 15 psi, it will only be a matter of time before it blows up. id back it off 4 or 5 degrees w/ that high compression and pump gas.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:15 PM
Banned

Default Re: Back From the Dyno with the Built B16......... (Mase)

Jeebus 21 degrees is a LOT to much. Didn't catch that.......

The job of timing advance is to place the "meat" of the burn right at maxium mechanical advantage to provide the most amount of torque to the crankshaft. With your compression, boost, and volitile pump gas things are gonna burn in a hurry. Starting the burn to early causes the rising piston to be pushed back down. IE: negative work. Most people in your situation *should* not only get rid of preignition by reducing the timing, but they will also make more torque (which translates to horsepower).
Old 07-31-2004, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Back From the Dyno with the Built B16......... (danl)

are you sure on the timing brian ?
Old 07-31-2004, 08:11 PM

Default Re: Back From the Dyno with the Built B16......... (AVATAR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AVATAR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you sure on the timing brian ? </TD></TR></TABLE>

positive that is what the timing is....again we are going to check everything on monday

Quick Reply: Back From the Dyno with the Built B16.........