Notices

B20 future goals

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B20 future goals

I have a 95 civic coupe I recently purchased. I have been looking through this site for a while now, and could use some advice on where to start for reaching my goals with the car. I origionally purchased a 90 acura integra with a gsr head on it with the idea of making a race car out of it. I purchased a low mileage b20 block for the car shortly there after. The b20 block came from a 97 crv, with about 60,000 miles. I had the GSR head worked on, and had dual valve springs and titanium retainers put in. I purchased a set of obx stage 2 cams for it. Long story short, I still have the motor, head and cams sitting around, and a Civic I want to put them in sometime in the future. I would like to make the car have about 400whp when I am done, I was planning on adding a turbo as part of the overall build. I want to use a log manifold to keep my A/C, since it will be my daily driver. I have also read that obx cams eat head components, so I will most likely ditch them in favor of something better. I was concidering having the block bored out a little, and putting new pistons in. I am a very mild driver most of the time, I usually don't get the RPMs above 2000 unless I am using the freeway. I want the power to be there when I want to use it, but mostly I drive for gas mileage. I plan on using a rebuilt y80 trans in it, so I can have the lower final drive, and taller gears. My biggest questions are what cam shafts have good reliability, work with turbos, and offer performance characteristics? Should I get rid of my dual valve springs for slightly stiffer than stock single springs? Would a t3/t4 turbo meet my needs? What would an ideal compression ratio be for my engine if I don't plan on running higher than 14 psi? Sorry about the long post. Advice greatly appreciated.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:45 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Default Re: B20 future goals

Read the FAQs in the turbo section you have a ways to go yet.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:15 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Tax-return turbo builds coming out of the woodwork.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am actually not planning on doing the build for another year or two, the civic runs fine with the D16z motor in it now. I am just trying to buy the parts a few at a time, so I will have everything together when I actually do the motor swap, and add the turbo.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:35 PM
OneBadTurboCRV

ANOTHER YEAR OR TWO?!?!

You will change your mind 100 times by then. Save your money for college. It will... well should be better invested.

No OBX parts, period.
PSI MEANS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, NOTHING!!! It is all about CFM!
Stock camshafts for those low goals, preferably GSR or ITR/CTR.
GT3076R
Compression in the 9.5:1 to 10:1 with 91 and up to 10.5:1 on 93...

Spoon feeding at its finest.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am actually almost graduated. I have been moving the b20 block and gsr head around with me for the last 9 years. I just didn't have the car I wanted to put it in until now.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:34 PM
The Grumpiest

Then you have time to read up and educate yourself and not ask redundant questions on a forum.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I spent over an hour reading different links posted in the forced induction category about turbos and turbo set ups. There is a lot of good information about turbo theory, turbo installation, and so on. My interest in joining this forum is to get information from people who have done similar set ups, and how they enjoyed the results. I am looking for specifics from members, which is why I posted to begin with. If I am just going to get comments from people who have nothing positive to add, than what is the point of this forum? I was a member of a forum for Geo metros, and all anyone wanted to do on that site was help each other out. If that is not the point of this forum, than why does it exist? Is it just so people can brag about how cool their cars are, and treat other people like dirt from the comfort of their own homes? If that is all that this site is for, than Moderators, please delete my account.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:43 PM

You have a decent understanding of some things and are lacking some basic knowledge on others. People in the forced induction forum are not here to spoon feed, it is all covered in the FAQs.

Stick around and browse more and read for more than an hour, spend a month or so reading. People will be willing to help you out but not hand you everything.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:43 PM
The Grumpiest

I read for more than 6 months before buying a single part. And didn't have to ask a single question.

All you're doing is asking someone to hand you the information just like everyone else that "read for an hour". Really? If all it took was an hour's worth of reading everyone would be running boosted wouldn't they? "I'm just looking for other people's opinions and experiences." We hear that one at least twice a week on this forum.

The FAQs are up there for a reason. Read them. And when you're done reading them, read them two more times.

Come back when your parts list is complete and then as for a critique.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:31 PM
OneBadTurboCRV

I have been researching for over 10+ years, and I can assure you that ALL the information you desire can EASILY be found but not deciphered. If you are truly in college then you should have all skills necessary to research and find the proper answers. If not, then that is just sad. As Marc said, read the FAQ's. All the answers are in there. If you can't find it go to this new website called Google and you WILL find it there. I promise. These days there are even videos for the illiterate.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As stated before, I was just trying to get some opinions from those who had done a similar set up, to see if they were happy with it. "information can EASILY be found but not deciphered." My goal was not to become a turbo expert, just to find parts that would make my set up work. I don't have a month to spend researching every aspect of this car setup, I have a job, kids, wife and college. Congrats to anyone who does not have enough of a life they can spend six months researching every aspect of the part before they buy it. I don't have that kind of time. I joined the site for the opportunity to talk with members, rather than just read posts, but that has been a waste. I will just go talk to someone at a tuner shop instead. Still waiting for my account to be closed.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:59 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by cheap civic
As stated before, I was just trying to get some opinions from those who had done a similar set up, to see if they were happy with it. "information can EASILY be found but not deciphered." My goal was not to become a turbo expert, just to find parts that would make my set up work. I don't have a month to spend researching every aspect of this car setup, I have a job, kids, wife and college. Congrats to anyone who does not have enough of a life they can spend six months researching every aspect of the part before they buy it. I don't have that kind of time. I joined the site for the opportunity to talk with members, rather than just read posts, but that has been a waste. I will just go talk to someone at a tuner shop instead. Still waiting for my account to be closed.
that's a shame. A lot of us have those same things. We've figured out that the better setups to use require more time for them to last. For one that has these responsibilities, I'm surprised you wouldn't take more time to make these investments. You're on a strict budget. You needed to make the most of it by being thorough and informed first..

Well, whatever.. Good luck to you.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by cheap civic
google for go auto works kits, then read about injectors and tuning.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:25 PM
The Grumpiest

****. Read the link in my sig. It's YEARS old and still relevant. And it has pictures and a parts list to copy for those of us too impatient.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:59 PM
OneBadTurboCRV

What is a this crap with Wife, kids, work, and other BS? I just don't get it. I have a wife, 4 kids, AND work 80+ hours a week. It is called learn to manage your time. I just don't get why people CHOOSE to be so useless. Nobody can tell you what is best for you, only you know that. Inform yourself, if you have enough time to come on here and type a response you have PLENTY of time to research.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by OneBadTurboCRV
What is a this crap with Wife, kids, work, and other BS? I just don't get it. I have a wife, 4 kids, AND work 80+ hours a week. It is called learn to manage your time. I just don't get why people CHOOSE to be so useless. Nobody can tell you what is best for you, only you know that. Inform yourself, if you have enough time to come on here and type a response you have PLENTY of time to research.
When I moved I did not cable and man I have all the free time in the world without TV especially sports.