Notices

B18C5 turbo help needed please

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Accident Prone

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B18C5 turbo help needed please

Okay, so I know this has been asked a thousand times over, but I can't seem to find a thread with answers to all the questions I've got. Mind you, I just recently got into Honda tuning, so I'm a bit of a n00b at most things, as my username rectifies.

Here's the background:

I'm looking into an ITR and I really want to turbo it (stock B18C5). I know that the 10.6:1 c/r is too high for the amount of boost I would like (9-10 psi) so I would need to lower it (I'm thinking 9:1 is fine, as the consensus is around that area). My plan is to change the pistons out, but when I look at 9:1 pistons, I see an 81.5mm. Isn't the cylinder in the B18C5 an 81mm bore? Does that mean I'll have to bore out another .5mm? Is that 'difficult' in the sense that would I need someone specialized to do it or should any knowledgeable mechanic be able to do it? Also, I don't fully understand re-sleeving cylinders. Can someone explain that? And would I need to do that in my case?

Also, I've also read that I would need to replace the other internals as stock ones usually cannot handle the high boost I want. I know new camshafts are a must, but is there anything else that would not function properly at 9-10 psi of boost?

Is there anything else that would need changing in order to run 9-10 psi? I know that I'd have to program a new ECU so the timing is right, but is there anything else I'm missing? Also, could I get an estimated cost on all of this (including labor)? I know it'll be upwards of 10 grand, but I don't need to do everything right away. I'll save up money slowly. I'm in no rush to turbo, just a long term project.

I know people have said "Sell the C5 and get a C1, save money, etc" but I'm sticking with the C5 and I want to turbo it, so please don't post saying I should not turbo a C5.

Thank you!
Old 05-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: B18C5 turbo help needed please

Well before we start I want to clear up that B18C5 cams are great for a turbo motor. I have been running my stock ITR cams since I bought my old ITR and always made great power.

There are plenty of 9:1 compression pistons out there with a 81mm bore, but if you are going to go that low you might as well run more boost than 10psi. Stock sleeves on a good tune have held a lot of power on just aftermarket pistons and rods.

Just remember PSI isnt the determining factor of what holds and what wont. Give us a HP goal and it will be much easier to give you advice on what to do.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Accident Prone

i'm aiming somewhere around 300whp? that sound like a reachable jump up from the 195 stock?

and how much boost should i run then? i dont want something too excessive that I wont be able to enjoy the car as a daily. 12 psi sound good?
Old 05-12-2010, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can run 300whp on a stock b18c5. The cams are great and the higher compression 'worries' can be countered with proper tuning (lower ignition timing to reduce peak cylinder pressures). We just finished up a set-up making around 400whp on a stock ITR engine (EG Chassis). Do some searching and you'll see that 300whp can be accomplished no problem on a stock engine. If you've got the cash though... having a bullet proof engine is always the best way to go. The stock c5 is a 81mm bore and you don't necessarily have to go .5 over for a forged piston. Provided your cylinder walls are in good shape you can simply hone them and as long as you have proper piston to wall clearance you should be able to stay with a 81mm bore. Sleeving is a process that removes the stock cylinder walls and replaces them with cast-iron ductile sleeves. It is not necessary to do, but again it helps to bullet proof your engine.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Accident Prone

how much do you predict i can get out of my engine then (with a turbo at 10-12 psi)?
Old 05-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Just a n00b
how much do you predict i can get out of my engine then (with a turbo at 10-12 psi)?
depends on the turbo size. smaller turbo you can run more boost. bigger turbo you need to run less boost. im putting on a T3/T04E 57 Trim garrett turbo on my jdm b18cr. i talked to my tuner and witht the set up im going to run i will be able to reach 300hp(which is my goal too) around 9-11psi. after the summer i am going to do pistons and rods and put on a precision SC61 turbo and go for 400hp which will be easy i just dont want to go to over bored cuz it is my daily driver. this is what my set up is just waiting on a few more parts so i can throw it on. full race ramhorn mani, 750cc injectors, hondata s300, tial 38mm wastegate, greddy bov, 2.25 intercooler piping, random intercooler, 3 inch downpipe, 2.5 map(if i need it, probably not till i put the bigger turbo on). just make sure you got a great tuner. my car will be started to make sure no leaks then im putting it on the trailer to the tune shop. not neccessay but i got a trailer and truck so why not. good luck with the turbo
Old 05-13-2010, 05:46 AM
Accident Prone

is that all on stock internals? I haven't purchased the kit yet, but I think I'm going with the Garrett T3/TO4E .63A/R turbo or a turbonetiks t03/t04 that claims 500hp. if I go with the turbonetics one, I'd definitely need to rebuild the engine, correct?

also, why is the AEM EMS V2 so much more expensive than the hondata s300? which one is better? I'm thinking of going with hondata but is there a difference between them?

and do they make 3" downpipes that are a/c compatible?

Last edited by Just a n00b; 05-13-2010 at 06:35 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is that all on stock internals? I haven't purchased the kit yet, but I think I'm going with the Garrett T3/TO4E .63A/R turbo or a turbonetiks t03/t04 that claims 500hp. if I go with the turbonetics one, I'd definitely need to rebuild the engine, correct?

also, why is the AEM EMS V2 so much more expensive than the hondata s300? which one is better? I'm thinking of going with hondata but is there a difference between them?

and do they make 3" downpipes that are a/c compatible?
yes stock internals. you can do it just need a really good tune. you dont have to rebuild the engine but if you want more than 300hp then get pistons and rods. herre is hondata:
http://www.phearable.net/shoppingcar...ages-p-39.html
and aem ems:
http://www.aemonly.com/electronics-e...-1999-137.html
hondata goes into your factor ecu, aem is a complete different ecu that plugs and play. hondata is great just go with that and save some money.
yes there are ac downpipes, alot of brands. if you want a good one fullrace makes one.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:04 PM
Accident Prone

alright thanks. so, if i wanted say 450hp (i dont know what the hell i'd do with it, but it feels good knowing it's there), i should replace the stock internals? i'm already planning on lowering the c/r once i get the money (pistons aint cheap, like $500 per) and i figure that if i'm in there, might as well put in turbo cams as well (looking at a set of $600 skunk2 turbo cams).
Old 05-13-2010, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright thanks. so, if i wanted say 450hp (i dont know what the hell i'd do with it, but it feels good knowing it's there), i should replace the stock internals? i'm already planning on lowering the c/r once i get the money (pistons aint cheap, like $500 per) and i figure that if i'm in there, might as well put in turbo cams as well (looking at a set of $600 skunk2 turbo cams).
you can find on the sponser market place, piston and rods combo for 700-1000. if you get cams get retainers and springs with them.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:23 AM
Accident Prone

yea there's a seller in the marketplace with good stuff. I'll check him out later. how much boost should I run for ~450hp (max)? and would that be safe for my engine assuming I rebuild it with all the parts I'm willing to change above?
Old 05-14-2010, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea there's a seller in the marketplace with good stuff. I'll check him out later. how much boost should I run for ~450hp (max)? and would that be safe for my engine assuming I rebuild it with all the parts I'm willing to change above?
again its all about the turbo size not boost to get to 450hp. need to figure out what turbo, manifold, and the whole set up to get to 450hp. the engine would be safe for that power rebuilt but it also depends on how hard you drive the car, if you daily it, and the tune is most inportant.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:05 AM
Accident Prone

alrighty thanks
Old 02-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What kind of power loss for the b18c5 is there when bumped down to 9.0:1 in the lower rpm range(no turbo spoolin)?