Notices

B18c Turbo Build Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18c Turbo Build Questions

Sup guys, been a long time viewer but never really posted. I had a couple of quick questions for you all regarding my build. Should I purchase Precision 1000cc injectors or go ahead and pay a little more for ID 1000c? Would investing in some TODA cam gears net me any additional gain over my stock gears. Also from looking at my setup listed below is there anything else you suggest I upgrade before getting it tuned. And with this setup do you think my goal of 375-400 is possible and be reliable at the sametime? Its my daily driver so won't see track much.

JDM B18c
Darton Sleeves
Wesico pistons Flat top 81.5mm ( Can't get a bigger size since I already bought them and they are already in the block )
Eagle Rods
Supertech valves/spring/retainers
Stock GSR camshaft
Arp headstuds
ACL bearing kit
Micro polished crank
Peakboost HVS Turbo Kit ( Not sure which turbo to run looking for quick spool and lots of midrange power. )
Hondata s300
Old 01-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: B18c Turbo Build Questions

the 1000cc injectors will be justt fine (for that hp)... and you will have no, nada,zero, zilch,niett porblems reaching your goal what so ever!!

I am not to fond of SuperTech valvetrain for my own personal reasons. But you should be fine.

Goodluck on the build!!

in for progress and #... and might as well take that thing to the track and see what it does (then drive home)..

PS: what turbo will you be running on this set up?
Old 01-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks Poootie for the reply. May I ask about your experience with supertech? Also I'm not really to sure on the turbo any opinions you have on the turbo I should go with? Peakboost has on the website you could upgrade to 60-1, t-61, t-67 and GT series.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BoostedxEk
Thanks Poootie for the reply. May I ask about your experience with supertech? Also I'm not really to sure on the turbo any opinions you have on the turbo I should go with? Peakboost has on the website you could upgrade to 60-1, t-61, t-67 and GT series.
I have dropped valve one time in the past at par-throttle. (4000rpm'ish)..
I have also had a few friends do the same (2 of them were selfbuilt and another was done by a good machineshop).. I just stay away (not saying that they won't work, but thats just too much "bad luck" for me).

As far as turbo. It all depends on your budget and what you are useing the car for.. For me the best bang for the buck is a SC6162. (Because of your build and it being sleeved, i'd highly recomend getting something a little bigger for room to grow. like a GT35R, or T67ho,even a 6262 billet if your $$ is good.). actually i'd put the 6262 bIllet at the first option if you have the $$.

PS: you can make well into the 700whp range with a 81.5mm sleeved set-up with the right fuel,clutch!!
Old 01-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The ID1000 Injectors are the way to go for the following reasons:
#1 They are High Impedance injectors, thus not requiring to wire in a resistor box, whereas the Precision will require one.
#2 Once dialed in, the ID1000 will give you near perfect idle.
#3 If you decide to go with E85 gas, you can crank your fuel pressure regulator up and with the proper fuel system you can max those injectors out at around 600hp
#4 Overall the ID1000's are newer technology and its proven to work with less hassle and problems, and there is room to make more power if you want in the future with a bigger turbo setup.

As far as your power goals, 60-1 will be in the 450-500 range with some race gas. On pump gas you should be good to reach your goal with this turbo.
As far as your cam gears go, I would stick with your stock ones because you are using stock GSR cams. You won't make any huge power by messing with your cam settings, also you won't have to worry about your cam moving due to loose bolts on your cam gear. Thus one less thing to worry about.
Other than that, you have the right stuff to make the power you want.

Good luck man!
Old 01-16-2010, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys for the great info. I'm probably just going to go ahead and get the ID1000 should I upgrade the fuel rail and FPR?
Old 01-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As for supertech valves ive heard nothing but good things from them.

I would upgrade the fuel pressure regulator, but really no need for the fuel rail (if I remember right for your power goals.)

You have a S300 so it should tune very easy and put down some great numbers PROPS
Old 01-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BoostedxEk
Thanks guys for the great info. I'm probably just going to go ahead and get the ID1000 should I upgrade the fuel rail and FPR?
For your power goals, the injectors will get you there. I'm assuming you are going to call Tony at T1 for the injectors. I would ask him on what FPR to run. I ran an Aeromotive FPR first, and then upgraded to the Weldon FPR when I wanted 100psi base pressure for e85.

The fuel rail is not necessary, but it makes it a lot easier to adapt the aftermarket FPR to the fuel rail.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:41 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Lots and options for the turbocharger.
questions you want to ask yourself
- Journal or ball-bearing cartridge - do you know the pros and cons for each? Do you know the wheel dynamics?
-Budget for spending on the turbocharger
- 375-400whp (is this on pump gas, race?)
-What's the purpose of the car? (drag race, strip/street, road race?)

There are a lot of options outside of what you've been presented with.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I might be wrong but I've heard ball-bearing work a lot better. I really don't know the pro and cons. Just that I need a quality turbo that will last long without having to worry about getting it rebuild. On the budget most of the upgrades turbos for the peakboost kits are 650.00+ so any turbo they have listed is what I want to go with. The car will mainly be on pump gas 93. Purpose of the car is mainly street since its my DD.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:32 AM

The ballistic series turbos can have advantages over most journal bearings because mainly because of the wheel design, not just because it is ball-bearing. There are a lot of other combinations that can be just as reliable if not moreso. Remember, the ball-bearing cartridges cannot be rebuilt, even if the turbine wheel and not the cartridge is damaged.

Good luck. let me know if you have questions. Can't go wrong w/ peakboost, but remember, there's more out there. if $650 is the limit, stay with the smaller series than just big power on pump gas.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

gt35 ftw... an all around great turbo for street/ whatever.. and no the cam gears wont help much do to having stock cams and the center line is already great on em
Old 01-19-2010, 01:23 PM

A bit Big, but it all depends upon what he's looking to do based on his budget. Both the GT3582R and GT3540S are great turbos, but remember what they do.