Notices

B18b EGT Limits?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18b EGT Limits?

hello everyone.
What is a safe Exauhst gas temperature (egt) range for a stock internals b18b. So that i can adjust my fuel flow with the Jackson fmu based on how high my egt's are..........cause i want to be able to lean it out as much as possible to gain as much hp as possible, but not to the point to where my motor could blow...
right now when i floor it through the gears (2nd throught the top of 4th) im getting around 1525 degrees F and my setup has been that way for 8 months... but when i add more boost i want ot know where my limits are with the stock block....

thank you again for ur time.

Old 03-11-2003, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18b EGT Limits? (greekspeed)

Hey - I remember you from SuperHonda, how's it going? EGT really isn't the greatest thing to tune with by itself because the temperatures can mislead you, a high temp could mean really lean or really rich. Ideally you should try to get a wideband O2 sensor to use in conjunction with your EGT, that way you can have an accurate idea of your A/F ratio and use the EGT when you want to play with timing and for daily driving as it can let you know if things are out of whack. My EGTs get up to a maximum of 800C when I am pushing my b18b, internally stock and at 8 PSI intercooled on a T3/T04E turbo. Normal driving I stay below 700C. I would definitely try to find someone or a shop with a wideband O2 sensor to help you out, it will be well worth it! Welcome to HT
Old 03-11-2003, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18b EGT Limits? (mskibbz-T)

Never heard of rich conditions causing high EGTs....anybody else?
Old 03-11-2003, 08:10 AM

Default Re: B18b EGT Limits? (Hatchblack)

yeeah thats what i thought.... i wa under the impression:

too hot = too lean
too cold (well there isnt really any such thing as too cold ) = too rich..
Old 03-11-2003, 08:10 AM

yeah i think i remember u from superhonda also...
Old 03-11-2003, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Running rich will not cause high egts (timing issues can, but thats a diff issue.)

You don't want to use an EGT alone to tune an engine, because when you lean the mixture past PEAK EGT the EGT will actually decrease. So you may have a low EGT but you are running very lean.

That is why you want to use an EGT and A/F ratio gauge.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18b EGT Limits? (machaf)

That is why you want to use an EGT and A/F ratio gauge.
dude, I'll take EGT than A/F ratio gauge....A/F only tells you rich or lean, not HOW ricj or HOW lean you are...

gotta have wideband in Lambda mode

stan
Old 03-11-2003, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

yeeah thats what i thought.... i wa under the impression:

too hot = too lean
too cold (well there isnt really any such thing as too cold ) = too rich..
correct..although toooo cold you will be running soo rich it will efffect your power output. Ive heard some people gaining as much as 30hp+ by leaning out their setup because they were running soo rich.

I tuned for 750-800C (WOT) on my honda...although my DSM friends tune for 850-900C. DSM's like it hot!

liam

[Modified by liam821, 11:30 AM 3/11/2003]
Old 03-11-2003, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18b EGT Limits? (Flamenco-T)

Thats why you should have an A/F with EGT, so you have see if the low EGT means your running too lean. I wasn't saying I'd get an A/F over an EGT. I was saying A/F should be used in combination with EGT to overcome the lean, low egt problem.

I'm not saying you tune with an A/F, of course your going to tune with a wideband.

Its not necessary for your average person who have a wideband to tell them their exact air to fuel ratio.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18b EGT Limits? (machaf)

well, IMO, air fuel gauge is just a waste of money, more like a light show to me...
I watch EGT only at WOT, to see if the valves are burning too hot or not..which is what EGT is basically is, to see if the temp is over excessive for your internal valvetrains. We can rely on it to get a basic ideas as far as if you're running rich or lean, but it's impossible to tell [B]HOW[/] rich or lean you are to make an adjustment while tuning..

stan
Old 03-11-2003, 12:05 PM

Default Re: B18b EGT Limits? (Flamenco-T)

ok so from what understand the thehighest egt's i can take it up to is around 800c (1475 F) on stock internals.....
i know its not the most accurate way to tune ur car.. but im just trying to do it while spending the least amount of money and having my car still run good enough to not blow...but i guuess ill have to save up some more to take it to my dyno shop and run a wideband on it... ......

also would my jackson Fuel Managment Unit ( like a puel pressure regulator but it is its own unit connected in the fuel line right before the FPR that is on the fuel rail) be enough to lean or rich it out.... i know my car may run little too rich or lean (depending on if i lean it up or rich it up) at the lower rpm's... but im only really interested in running good at WOT at higher rpms.

thanks for your time guys.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:34 PM

??
Old 03-11-2003, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A/F gauge is the biggest waste of money, get it tuned on a dyno, never worry again. EGT you can keep an eye on how long u should be boosting!

mike
Old 03-11-2003, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually, you are all wrong

The peak EGT is found at stoichiometric (14.7:1 A/F ratio) and drops off on either side of that, rich or lean. Stoichiometric is way too lean for maximum power/safety, though, that is why people tend to think that EGTs go down the more rich you are and up the more lean...if you get to the point that EGTs have gone up to stoichiometric and go down again you are INCREDIBLY lean. For example, my EGTs tend to actually go UP when I'm cruising on the freeway, since the ECU is striving for the most efficient burn, which is stoichiometric. Make sense?

As for the highest EGTs? I'd say 1600 is on the VERY top end...the lower the better, to a point. DSMs and Wankel-motored cars (especially!) tend to run alot hotter and not have any problems.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18b EGT Limits? (ion_four)

The peak EGT is found at stoichiometric (14.7:1 A/F ratio) and drops off on either side of that, rich or lean. Stoichiometric is way too lean for maximum power/safety, though, that is why people tend to think that EGTs go down the more rich you are and up the more lean...if you get to the point that EGTs have gone up to stoichiometric and go down again you are INCREDIBLY lean. For example, my EGTs tend to actually go UP when I'm cruising on the freeway, since the ECU is striving for the most efficient burn, which is stoichiometric. Make sense?

As for the highest EGTs? I'd say 1600 is on the VERY top end...the lower the better, to a point. DSMs and Wankel-motored cars (especially!) tend to run alot hotter and not have any problems.
how I am wrong? my post has nothing to do with yours....beyotch
Old 03-11-2003, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18b EGT Limits? (Hatchblack)

A too rich condition will cause a high EGT because some of the extra fuel is ignited in the exhaust and/or still burning, which is why too far retarded timing will cause high EGTs, because the flame is still burning.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:38 PM

Default Re: B18b EGT Limits? (MikeMAN)

how I am wrong? my post has nothing to do with yours....beyotch
well on the highway it does go up gradually if im holding on the to accelerator (usually up to 1300-1400 F at around 65-75 mph)....so are u saying that the 1525 F egt's im getting at wide open throttle (WOT up to 100mph is when i get that high) is not unsafe nessesarily..
Old 03-11-2003, 10:41 PM

Default Re: B18b EGT Limits? (Jared)

A too rich condition will cause a high EGT because some of the extra fuel is ignited in the exhaust and/or still burning, which is why too far retarded timing will cause high EGTs, because the flame is still burning.
hmm that may be the cause....cause at idle im drippin out of the exauhst..which is a sign that im running to rich right?

[Modified by greekspeed, 6:22 PM 3/12/2003]
Old 03-12-2003, 09:23 AM

^
Old 03-12-2003, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18b EGT Limits? (Jared)

THANK YOU...

[Modified by mskibbz-T, 2:37 PM 3/12/2003]
Old 03-12-2003, 06:23 PM

hmm well that may very well be my of me hitting 1525, cause my fmu is turned up the way up to flow as much fuel as it can, andi have my timing little retarded as well................(i have no ther fuel mods either though)
Old 03-13-2003, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can buy an FJO wideband O2 kit w/ an LCD display for about $750 if there are no tuners in your area that have wideband O2s available to tune your car with. An SAFC and access to a wideband O2 sensor would really help you tune your car without requiring tons of $$$