B16A2 block with GSR head

Old 02-15-2019, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default B16A2 block with GSR head

Ok, to make story short, I have a B16A2 bottom end and a GSR head out of a JDM B18C. I want to make it a turbo. Head already has Skunk2 manifold and I have APR head studs for the B18C. Camshafts are stock B18C. I will CSS the block and I will get turbo rods and pistons.

My questions are;

Do I need to do anything special to the head?

What would my red line be?

Can I use the GSR cams or B16a2 cams will work better?

Do I need adjustable cam gears?

Should I get better valve springs?

Are the B18C APR studs gonna work?

What head gasket brand & type should I use?

Is this even a good idea or should I just get a LS integra block?
Old 02-15-2019, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16A2 block with GSR head

Originally Posted by ngv1515 View Post
Ok, to make story short, I have a B16A2 bottom end and a GSR head out of a JDM B18C. I want to make it a turbo. Head already has Skunk2 manifold and I have APR head studs for the B18C. Camshafts are stock B18C. I will CSS the block and I will get turbo rods and pistons.

My questions are;

these are all good questions and Iím sure you will get some informative answers..... but we need to know a few things, is this a daily driven car? What are you power goals? What reason for your power goals ( road race, drag race? ) the only reason to CSS your block would be if your going to exceed 350-400hp, just a good set of rods and pistons with some head studs and a decent turbo and tuning will do that. If you can list why or what reason you doing your build you should get the appropriate responses you need.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:40 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

I don't see any major issues with your plans. Should be a solid build. The GSR cams work well for boost.

If you're doing all this work to build the engine though, you should go ahead and upgrade the springs and retainers for peace of mind. Since it appears to plan on making a good amount of power, you will be pushing this harder than OEM components are designed for and spending more time at higher RPM. It's not worth floating or dropping a valve with all you will have invested.

With that, I still wouldn't see much need to rev it beyond 8000-8500rpm, or wherever your power starts to fall off with your chosen turbo setup. This is assuming it will be a street & track driven car and that you want it to last more than just a few passes. I am using a B16 head with GSR cams, skunk2 springs and retainers and I set my limiter at 8250. But I also have a turbo that spools to make full boost before 5000rpm, giving it plenty of power band.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turboLScrx View Post

these are all good questions and Iím sure you will get some informative answers..... but we need to know a few things, is this a daily driven car? What are you power goals? What reason for your power goals ( road race, drag race? ) the only reason to CSS your block would be if your going to exceed 350-400hp, just a good set of rods and pistons with some head studs and a decent turbo and tuning will do that. If you can list why or what reason you doing your build you should get the appropriate responses you need.

Itís going to be a street car for most of the time so it needs to be reliable. Maybe I will take it to the drag track but not a lot. I do drive my cars HARD so they need to be strong though. I would like 400 to 600 HP. It will run on E85 because it is already doing that.

Background story, I have 2 EKs one is NA (B16a2) and the other Turbo (B18C) Iím using the B18C block for the NA build. Going for poor Type R set up. The NA is my baby and thatís the one I drive everyday.

my IG is @dark_ek_build if you guys are interest on following the NA build.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:40 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

Make sure it has a proper tune after you install the turbo parts. Don't be like 90% of the idiots who disregard that crucial step and end up selling their halfass cars with a turbo kit on it. I hope you noticed I said car with turbo kit instead of a turbocharged Honda. They can spend x amount of money of aftermarket seats and **** but don't want to get a $400+ tune.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo View Post
Make sure it has a proper tune after you install the turbo parts. Don't be like 90% of the idiots who disregard that crucial step and end up selling their halfass cars with a turbo kit on it. I hope you noticed I said car with turbo kit instead of a turbocharged Honda. They can spend x amount of money of aftermarket seats and **** but don't want to get a $400+ tune.

LMFAO!!! yeah!! I know. Iím a professional VW Audi tech and I do understand the importance of tuning. I donít have a lot knowledge on Hondaís though and thatís why Iím here.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:07 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

I'm just being realistic because people tend to have their priorities out of whack when it comes to their cars. LOL
Old 02-15-2019, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

B18C ARP head studs are too long to use with the B16A block... you will need to get a set of B16A head studs.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ngv1515 View Post

My questions are;

Nothing I can think of. Make sure the head is straight and true before torquing down/installing.

Depends on several other components and tuning, including what turbo you use. Upgraded rods, rod bolts, and proper dual valve springs would make an ~8500 redline mechanically safe.

Use the GSR cams. Much better for boost than the B16 cams.

Not required, but you may benefit from them since you're mix-matching the head and block.

If the head still has the original OEM valve springs, yes I would replace/upgrade them. They're close to 25-30 years old at this point.

No, you need B16 head studs.

JE Pro Seal, or Golden Eagle is full proof. OEM also works fine. I've used Cometic with success in the past but I think a lot of other users here have had leaking issues with them(?)

This is debatable. There's nothing wrong with your plans. Obviously a 1.8L block with an 89mm stroke would yield more torque, but would change other aspects of the build as well (including the need for an LS/VTEC kit). The GSR head studs would work in this scenario.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you very much, I will start getting the parts. Iíll let you guys know.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: