Notices

B16A Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16A Turbo Build

Hey guys. I got my hands on a nice b16a from a 2000 SI. Im looking to build it so I can turbocharge it but Im lost as to what I should use to build it.

I have about $900 for the build. Can you guys recommend which parts I should use to build? For example Pistons and Rods would be enough? Im looking to never boost more than 12psi since this is my daily driver. But if I happen to get into a race on the way home from work or something to not be afraid im gonna blow my engine.

Thanks.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: B16A Turbo Build

Originally Posted by JDMEDIC
Hey guys. I got my hands on a nice b16a from a 2000 SI. Im looking to build it so I can turbocharge it but Im lost as to what I should use to build it.

I have about $900 for the build. Can you guys recommend which parts I should use to build? For example Pistons and Rods would be enough? Im looking to never boost more than 12psi since this is my daily driver. But if I happen to get into a race on the way home from work or something to not be afraid im gonna blow my engine.

Thanks.
Couple of things to consider:

Goal: Never base a goal on psi alone, as different turbos make different power at the same pressure level. Psi is the level of pressure measured at the intake manifold & MAP sensor. The key is, choosing a power goal, selecting the correct turbo, efficiency wise, to match that goal, and your tuner will use whatever psi your setup will give him to achieve that goal. Always remember, torque, high cylinder pressures & detonation is what blows motors, not psi.

Budget: I'm assuming you are going to stick with a low power goal, being you mentioned 12 psi. With these B series motors, the norm seems to be anywhere from 275 to 325 whp ran on bone stock motors (with ARP headstuds to ward off head lift), and that can be done pretty easily, granted your motor is healthy, compression & leakdown wise, and your tune is spot-on. If that is a goal that sounds reasonable to you, save up & put that 900 towards your turbo setup & engine management/tuning, rather than pistons & rods. Piecing together a kit is a good way, and be sure to select quality parts for your build.

Researching: Read up immensly in the Forced Induction FAQ's, there's tons of insightful info in there, to get you started & familiarized with turbocharging. Also, check out the Sponsor's Only section for prices on various items to piece together your ideal turbo kit. Also, do a quick search, there's a thread in here called "B16a turbo setups". You'll find alot of helpful info in there, as well.

Lastly, make sure you have a good, & reputable tuner. All the quality parts in the world will not help you if your tune is half-assed. But for now, read, read, read to you heart's content, the more you know, the better off you'll be. Hope this helps, & good luck.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Built thx for the advice ill start reading up tonight. Also r saying a small build with a better tune and turbo setup is a smarter choice or are u saying spend more money lol
Old 08-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Built thx for the advice ill start reading up tonight. Also r saying a small build with a better tune and turbo setup is a smarter choice or are u saying spend more money lol
I'm saying the power goal I listed (275 to 325) can be had from a stock motor without building the block with forged internals. It's up to you (the end user) to determine what works for you power wise. You say this is gonna be your daily driver, so no need go ludicrist on power. Focus more on "how" you want the power to get to the ground. A nice responsive turbo (ex: Garrett t3/t04e 50 trim) will give you a very, peppy & quick spooling powerband.

But be warned...boost is VERY addictive. The more you get, the more you want. I thought I was gonna be happy to the end with a 304 whp stock LS turbo, fast forward two years later, I jumped from there to a fully built & sleeved 489 whp pump gas GSR.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh i know. I use to own a 97 GST. =] my goal is for the HP to be there when I need it but I dont need much. and I drive through the tachapi mountains 4 times a week so I dont think I want a quick response or ill be out of gas before I reach the other side lol.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks.
hate to burst your bubble but 900$ isnt going to be enough to turbocharge your car. A tune is almost half of that.

cheap / fast / reliable

pick two.