Notices

b16a and JRSC need install help

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16a and JRSC need install help

Hi, I am about to add a jrsc to my b16a. I am trying to aquire a list of what I need to do it right. I currently have a vafc 2. I plan on running 6 psi and eventually 8 psi. Do I need larger injectors or a map sensor at 6 psi. does anyone have any literature from jackson racing what they recommend upgrading when doing this? Do i need to lower compression or what. my car is currently in the shop and I am trying to convince my mechanic that supercharging this car is safe. I would like atleast 6 psi but really want 8 psi.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16a and JRSC need install help (madlion)

Step one: sell the AFC
Step two: Run a tuneable ECU - judging by your avatar that requires an OBD1 conversion
Step three: Tune the car before you boost on it, unless you like failure

440/450cc injectors and stock MAP will do you fine for your setup, BTW.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16a and JRSC need install help (Joseph Davis)

so sell the vafc2 for what? standalone mgmt is exspensive. I cant use this for boost under 300hp. Additionally i am rebuilding my block. I am using forged rods and pistons. Should I go lower compression.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by madlion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so sell the vafc2 for what? standalone mgmt is exspensive. I cant use this for boost under 300hp. Additionally i am rebuilding my block. I am using forged rods and pistons. Should I go lower compression.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, you can not use the AFC for boost. At least not if you want to convince anyone that supercharging is safe.

JRSC, and roots blowers in general, are famous for detonation on tip-in. Advance your ignition timing another 15 degrees for AFC hack and it just got worse. You run some hot *** charge temps with a non-IC roots setup, nothing to worry about if you are tuned, but an AFC hack at 6 psi will advance timing 6-7 degrees past what it would be at WOT with the stock ECU. Abort/Retry/Fail?

An OBD1 conversion and tuning is not expensive. Do you know what JRSC kits run? You could field a humble turbo kit with OBD1 conversion, on a stock engine, and make more power for less money than the JRSC alone.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i know i may as well go turbo, however reliability is of concnern and so is cost. I can get a decently used jrsc for 900-1500. i know i could peice together a turbo kit.

I was thinking if i spend 1000 on the supercharger and another 500 on the additional parts like

One heat range colder plug (NGK BCPR7ES)
High-flow fuel pump (Walbro GS-342 or better)
Cartech FMU (20005i or 2025 models)
JR BTC or MSD 6BTM
Boost and mechanical fuel pressure gauges
maybe a wideband o2

ill be around 1500. I guess e-manage is a less costly alternative to a stand alone ecu. Ive heard it has issues though.

I appreciate your help. I need to come to a conclusion on what to do with my baby(car). I am an autox fan over a drag fan thats why i was feeling the supercharger. this is my daily driver.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I love the day before Finals, class gets out super quick.

E-manage has issues just like FMU/BTM has issues.

Converting to OBD1 is cheaper than either of those options... are you in an emissions-strict area that's preventing you from going OBD1?

If OBD2 has to remain on the car, Alan To's RICE might be an option. He claims complete control while being a piggyback unit... and he's bright enough I am willing to believe him. Last I checked it was still an early beta and not released to the public, though.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

finals are fun. i just graduated odu in decemeber now im in the 9-5 world. now i have no problem going obd1. All i need is the harness obd2-1 and obd1 ecu. Do i need hondata to do all this correctly?? can i keep my vafc using obd1? i am a little confused with the conversion and what it is going to do for me. I live in VA we have slack emissions
Old 07-30-2007, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OBD1 era Civic/Integra ECUs are reverse engineered to the point they are extremely high functioning standalones. Some people prefer Hondata, but anything from Crome to Neptune to eCtune will do the trick for you just fine in the hands of any decent tuner.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ive heard good things about neptune, but i guess it is about finding a tuner in the area. i know they tune aem ems and hondata is becoming more prevalent in this area.