Notices

B16 Leakdown Results

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16 Leakdown Results

Planning to use a B16 block with my GSR head while the B18c1 block is being rebuilt. Boosting no more than 10psi with Hondata S300. Did a leakdown on a donor 1st gen B16 motor with about 60k on it. The results are shown on the pics. Air leaks can be heard directly out of the exhaust ports so bent exhaust valves there. Intake side has no leaks. During the test, I had removed the oil pan to check the rotating assembly. Everything operates smoothly but I can hear little bit of air seeping through the rings on all four cylinders. I have never done a leakdown with the oil pan off and just need to know if that slight bit of air escaping may be normal? Possibly due the rings not fully seated since the motor has been in storage for a few months? I have not removed the B16 head yet but did look through the spark plug tubes to check for oil or coolant on piston tops. Everything looked normal including all four spark plugs. All internals are original OEM. If anyone knows for sure some leakage is normal from the rings that would give me some reassurance that I can go ahead and use the block. It would suck to find out the pistons/rings are totally shot once I get the GSR head on there.

Cylinder 1

Cylinder 2

Cylinder 3

Cylinder 4
Old 07-08-2007, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: B16 Leakdown Results (mrchris1979)

are you 100% sure you had the engine @ tdc on every cyl when you performed the test ?

a valve adjustment could help your leak situation.

a bit of air getting past the rings, imo, is normal. put a good crankcase vent system on it, and you shouldnt have a problem.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: B16 Leakdown Results (dturbocivic)

Yes. TDC on every cylinder. Also did a valve adjustment prior to testing. All the valve adjustment nuts were totally loose so the cams or the head may have been removed before and they just did not tighten the nuts. The cam gears were also missing so who knows what really happened. It is interesting that only the exhaust valves are leaking though. Could I have possible done something wrong with the exhaust cam? The cam gears were lined up and arrows up on the initial test. If all the head needs are new valves then it would be great to just use it anyway. A little bit of air through the rings is OK then? I would assume it's normal. Just wanted to get a bit more reassurance since I've never seen it done before.