Notices

B16 head -vs- GSR head for boost.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default B16 head -vs- GSR head for boost.

I have always heard that a b16 head is a better flowing head than the gsr. Never really mattered to me because i was never into hondas but now i am and really wanting some real world explination on this topic. I have done a few searches on here and searched the archives on endyn's site and really couldnt come up with a conclusion. I am currently using a b16 head on my car but have a gsr head. I have gathered some valvetrain i am wanting to put in a head and i am not sure which to use. Someone please share some technical advice on which is better and why. Thanks in advance.
The following users liked this post:
Old 12-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: B16 head -vs- GSR head for boost.

there is tons of controversy over which head is better iv ran tons of both and i haven't noticed a difference at all in any of them the only thing that is better is the cams in the gsr head but that has nothing to do with the head and you will probably only notice a difference when the car is boosted.

It's the same thing with d16z6 intake manifolds and d16y8 intake manifolds some people like one more than the other and by looks the y8 looks a lot better but there is no bench flow tests on either so no one can prove which one is better.
just my .02
Old 12-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've never had experience with anything b series but here is my take on it. Considering a turbo with a higher compressor cfm rating will require less boost to make more power, by choosing the higher flowing cfm head, you'll be making power even easier.

On top of that, if you upgrade the valvetrain on the high flowing head, you'll be able to make more power just from the motor and require less boost from the turbo. Less boost = less heat = safer setup. That's my educated guess behind this.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a stock b16 and a stock gsr head flow about the same. its just up to what you can get your hands on IMO. gsr will raise compression slightly.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:18 AM

Depends on your plans after boost. If your just gonna stay stock head. Then like previously stated the cams in the gsr are gonna net a lil bit more. As far as inching HP out. I would imagine they are fairly close in stock form. I personally have not run a gsr head so i wont say either way. But working with what you have. Go with the GSR.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have ran both built ported heads on my car and both dyno similar #'s. Overall the ports on the b16 look to be fatter
Old 12-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what are the big boys using for heads? I am more interested in the combustion chamber design between the two. The ports can be modified as well as the chambers but the chambers between the two are very different. I will be using gsr came in which ever one i use.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the quench pads on the gsr head help reduce detonation
Old 12-04-2009, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what ever you have i would stick with. doesnt make too much of a difference. I have a b17 head which is more like the b16.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Same here I have a b16 head and a GSR head But my engine builder told me to use the gsr head. Not sure why though I will find out and get back to you on this one!
Old 12-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for more info. Which head produces more power in stock form with the same cams and why? What head is on millers car, tonys car ????
Old 12-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gsr have more straight through stock to stock, dont quote me on it, i just put my b16 and gsr head on work bench and noticed that gsr apperars to be slightly different, plus i know plenty of people who will argue for hours on wich is better, but going with my obsirvation of the two and the advice from very reputable engine builder, they say to me to run gsr, so with that said, im do a port job on gsr and run it on my budget race car build, and use my b16 on my eg hatch lsvtec daily driver
Old 12-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stock for stock(completely stock) I would venture to guess that the B16 intake manifold flows better. I have heard like others said that GSR cams are better for boost. Some one stated that higher compression means more power but I would venture to guess that higher compression would lend its self to easier detonation if not tuned correctly......but I could be wrong.

Honestly I would just stick with what ever is on the car. Maybe sell the head thats not on the car and use the money to build the one that is
Old 12-07-2009, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how about this.....

vp import fuel, pro 1 cams, victor x intake manifold. All things being equal, not caring about detonation, i understand the gsr has quench pads and a smaller combustion chamber. Im looking for technical info on which stock ports are better, which head has a more efficient combustion chamber.

Not looking for "my buddy says this"....i want someone to say....the way the valves come into the combustion chamber on X head is better for power, and so on.

Thanks.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i belive it has been flow benched and they are pretty simular for what you lose in flow if any at all you will gain in the small compression bump from my understanding .. there is a reason honda switched to the gsr head when they made the gsr motor , even tho type'r head is the same casting as the b16 just factory ported and type'r goodies inside

if it was me i would use the gsr head
Old 03-05-2010, 06:44 AM

B16 heads share the same bolt pattern as ITR's for the intake manifold. They are easier to find aftermarket intake manifolds for than GSR heads. However, GSR heads have a distinct advantage over B16/ITR heads. Although it has slightly smaller combustion chambers that raise compression is an advantage, it is the reason why it raises compression, that is the REAL advantage. You see, GSR heads employ small flat surfaces on the edges of the combustion chamber called "quench" pads. This does raise compression, but the real advantage is this design's ability to ward off detonation. So, in my opinion, I would look for a GSR head not for the higher compression it will give you, but for the ability to run higher compression with it, safely.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have a nice day

Last edited by vwbased; 01-27-2013 at 09:29 PM. Reason: have a nice day
Old 03-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you go with b16 use the gsr cams
b16 cams suck!
Old 03-13-2010, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, I have been doing a bit of research on this topic because I intend to build a turbo civic...something pretty powerful... to start, from what I understand about compression is when building a naturally aspirated engine you need as much compression as possible. Compression creates friction and heat, we want as much compression out of a NA motor as we can get because were not forcing air into it. What does that give us...more dependability and instant power. 250hp all motor will always beat 250hp turbo. FI has to wait for the turbo to spool up!
having said that... lower compression ratios on turbo applications are less prone to detonation than higher compression ratios because theres less heat! Detonation occurs when there is premature ignition of fuel within the cylinder before it reaches TDC, basically its an explosion in the cylinder when the piston is on its way up!!! Turbo charged engines don't need the higher compression because we mitigate that with boost from the turbo, thats how we effectively raise forced induction compression ratios.

you can always turn up boost to raise the effective compression ratios. I suggest building the bottom end if you want to do this.

ok now that thats out of the way,

b16 head + b16 block = 10.29:1 Compression

GSR head + GSR block = 10.00:1 Compression

b16 head +GSR block = 9.81:1 Compression

GSR head + b16 block = 10.54:1 Compression

In summary, If you lower the compression ratio of a FI motor it will have less power off the line till the turbo spools up, but be less prone to detonation. which is probably a good thing. I did call JE pistons to get a different take on the subject and the tech there said you can run 10.00:1 compression all day with a build bottom end.

Personally, if I want a lower compression ratio then I'm not going to go spend $700-$800 bucks on a GSR head that raises the compression ratio when I can buy a $400 head that lowers the compression ratio and diminishes the likelihood of detonation. t2/t4s spool up pretty quick and less likelyhood of blowing my motor up!

Check out this great compression calculator.

http://www.zealautowerks.com/bseries.html

Hope this cleared up any confusion...

asfsdf
Old 03-13-2010, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by superjet
ok, I have been doing a bit of research on this topic because I intend to build a turbo civic...something pretty powerful... to start, from what I understand about compression is when building a naturally aspirated engine you need as much compression as possible. Compression creates friction and heat, we want as much compression out of a NA motor as we can get because were not forcing air into it. What does that give us...more dependability and instant power. 250hp all motor will always beat 250hp turbo. FI has to wait for the turbo to spool up!
having said that... lower compression ratios on turbo applications are less prone to detonation than higher compression ratios because theres less heat! Detonation occurs when there is premature ignition of fuel within the cylinder before it reaches TDC, basically its an explosion in the cylinder when the piston is on its way up!!! Turbo charged engines don't need the higher compression because we mitigate that with boost from the turbo, thats how we effectively raise forced induction compression ratios.

you can always turn up boost to raise the effective compression ratios. I suggest building the bottom end if you want to do this.

ok now that thats out of the way,

b16 head + b16 block = 10.29:1 Compression

GSR head + GSR block = 10.00:1 Compression

b16 head +GSR block = 9.81:1 Compression

GSR head + b16 block = 10.54:1 Compression

In summary, If you lower the compression ratio of a FI motor it will have less power off the line till the turbo spools up, but be less prone to detonation. which is probably a good thing. I did call JE pistons to get a different take on the subject and the tech there said you can run 10.00:1 compression all day with a build bottom end.

Personally, if I want a lower compression ratio then I'm not going to go spend $700-$800 bucks on a GSR head that raises the compression ratio when I can buy a $400 head that lowers the compression ratio and diminishes the likelihood of detonation. t2/t4s spool up pretty quick and less likelyhood of blowing my motor up!

Check out this great compression calculator.

http://www.zealautowerks.com/bseries.html

Hope this cleared up any confusion...

asfsdf

oh man, it really seems like you have no idea what your talking about, its like you just googled a bunch of **** and pasted it in this thread.

250hp NA will not beat a 250hp turbo car, they both have 250hp... thats like saying apples beats oranges, you cant even compare them, its completly depending on their powerbands, and the turbo car will always make more torque

the added compression ratio of the GSR head is way more worth it to also have the quench area.

control your compression with pistons, not your head / headgasket,

seems like you just have a b16 head, and need to reassure yourself that you made the right choice in buying that head.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO the only BIG diff. between the two heads are as many ppl have said the pads in the GSR make it more "friendly" on detination

besides that they prolly have a few little things diff. but its all depends on when they were cast and what not.

if you are boosting with a B16 head ditch the B16 cams and go GSR i did that for my B16 head, the cams are the real BIG thing that change it