Notices

B16 EF HATCH WANTING TO BOOST

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16 EF HATCH WANTING TO BOOST

ok peeps. i have a 90 hatch with a b-16 and bolt ons. dc headers, short ram intake, high flow cat, and a new cam shaft. honestly i havent made up my mind ive always wanted to boost but than id rather stay in na due to the fact of reliability.. but due to power differences im leaning more on the boost.. though i may say i have no experience what so ever on turbos. ive always been around all motor hondas and acuras. ive done swaps as well as internal work.. but never messed with no turbo. therefor i need help.

I dont want no monster hatch. just looking to be boosting as a daily driver.. but i dont know where to start what soever. i was gonna order a turbo kit of ebay but from reading on these forums i hear theyre no good. but than again i dont know where i can get the right stuff. any links on legit setups? ive read a few b series turbo setups but none that helped.. most talk about higher injectors and stuff like that.. i want a legit setup to see how its done and not mix my head up anymore. i thought i had an idea but after reading all these forums and links it just got me of tracks. so i was wondering if any knows a legit link on a stock b16? or if any1 is willing to help me and tell me what i need for my set up.. and trust me ppl like i said ive done my reading. just got me way more lost.. so thanks in advanced

iam happy with the power this car has. it pulls nice. more than what i had expected. but i always wanted to boost.
heres a pic of my hatch

BARE WITH ME PPL. IM JUST TRYING 2 GET THE RIGHT INFORMATION BEFORE I TRY ANYTHING.. I SERIOUSLY DONT WANT TO BLOW MY MOTOR. I DONT HAVE THE MONEY TO DUE ANOTHER SWAP RIGHT NOW
Old 09-27-2007, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: B16 EF HATCH WANTING TO BOOST (hondaguyflozy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaguyflozy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and trust me ppl like i said ive done my reading. just got me way more lost.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

every think of just taking it to a shop and having them install the turbo kit? if you have done some reading and cant understand suff, taking it to a shop is your best option.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you dont have 2-2500 dollars to spare on all the proper parts plus tuning I would suggest waiting until you have enough money to get it all done.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:53 PM

Default Re: (OLD_HATCH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OLD_HATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you dont have 2-2500 dollars to spare on all the proper parts plus tuning I would suggest waiting until you have enough money to get it all done.</TD></TR></TABLE>

2500 for proper parts and a tune!? Tell me where you are shopping lolz...
To teh op, what are your hp goals..? I know this is ur dd, but how much hp will you want to be satisfied for dd..250-300??
Old 09-27-2007, 05:54 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaguyflozy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and trust me ppl like i said ive done my reading. just got me way more lost</TD></TR></TABLE>
Then you haven't done enough reading.

This will help ya,
Pull out a pad of paper
Look at kits and full setups
Figure out what parts you need
ex. Manifold, Injectors, Turbo, BOV, WasteGate...so on
Pick one like injectors
Research the heck out of that one topic till you find what works for you.
Repeat for all parts

Post your setup list with parts your planning on using and then we'll help fine tune your build.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16 EF HATCH WANTING TO BOOST (XSIintegra)

first thing you need to figure out is your power goal, and then go from there, so how much power are you looking for?
Old 09-27-2007, 07:23 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaguyflozy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> honestly i havent made up my mind ive always wanted to boost but than id rather stay in na due to the fact of reliability.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Who told you boost was unreliable..?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaguyflozy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and trust me ppl like i said i HAVEN'T done my reading.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Doesn't anyone read the stickies anymore?? All the info you need to get into the FI game is in the stickies.. =/
Old 09-27-2007, 09:26 PM

Default Re: B16 EF HATCH WANTING TO BOOST (SmrCRX)

im sure its reliable. but ive seen and heared of many stories of motors blowing up due to too much abuse, or boost, not enough air flow and stuff like that.. this is why im asking for the right stuff.. and i mean i obviously know what kinda of parts i have to use, but i mean what can they come of? i know you need a manifold, turbo, down pipe, all the piping. from what ive been reading your gonna need to add some more oil lines? ive been reading all day. i got back some info but not enough to say i got it under my hat..

hp goals??!?!? not that much somewhere between 235-280
Old 09-27-2007, 10:15 PM

too much abuse, or boost, not enough air flow and stuff like that

We'll since you've read this stuff,
Whats too much abuse?
Whats too much Boost?
Whats not enough air flow?

Your restating garbage that you've picked up along the way. As stated, build per desired horse power. The core of most engine failure in forced induction applications is detonation. (agree with me or not, don't really care..seen enough to believe) 235-280hp should be simple for you to obtain reliably.

I'm going to be honest though. It doesn't sound like you've read or searched much. There are numerous good quality builds, current and in archive, that you can read over and copy.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:30 PM

Default Re: B16 EF HATCH WANTING TO BOOST (XSIintegra)

no no no. you got your things all messed up.. i said i hear stories of motors being blown up because of to much turbo abuse and stuff like that. i never said i read that. its stories ppl tell me that make me not even want to boost. i cant blow my motor up! not now! lol. this is why im looking for the right info. and yes even at this point im still researching :D ima be up a few more hours c if i can get any input of these setups
Old 09-27-2007, 11:36 PM

"Turbo Abuse"
: Pounds head on desk :
Going to be useless I see
I'm out
Old 09-28-2007, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SmrCRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SmrCRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

2500 for proper parts and a tune!? Tell me where you are shopping lolz...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you go the cheap route and buy ebay intercooler piping kit along with bov and wastegate that will be about 400 dollars. Add a good quality log or cast manifold and thats 300 dollars. If you want reliable your going to want a new or rebuilt turbo (ie garret) and thats another 500 dollars. Get some dsms off ebay and thats another 65 dollars. A oil feed and drain kit 90 dollars. As far as downpipe if you go to the local muffler shop and they can do it maybe another 150 including flex.

All that right there is 1400 dollars. Now add things like extra nuts bolts and odds and ends probably another 100 or so.

Someone to chip your ecu on a dyno about 400 dollars.

Depending on whether or not you got connections I think 2-2500 dollars is a pretty good example for a cheap reliable kit. If you get used or cheap parts it could be less than that.

Now if you'd be talking about full rebuild, ss ramhorn etc than of course that be like 5 grand plus there.

To the original poster...... If you want reliable its gonna be determined by the parts you use and the tuning.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:08 AM

Default Re: (OLD_HATCH)

thanks alot. first great info reply Ill sure look into some of those stuff. I see now im gonna have to peice it together by peice by peice. Even if its a little more expensive id rather take the safe route. Thanks alot. Great info from old hatch. Plus 2
Old 09-28-2007, 09:15 AM

Default Re: (hondaguyflozy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaguyflozy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks alot. first great info reply Plus 2 </TD></TR></TABLE>

Want even better information..
FAQ