Notices

Average cost of Neptune/Chrome/Uberdata........

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 12:38 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Average cost of Neptune/Chrome/Uberdata........

I'm putting together a budget and i was wondering what people's set ups cost for Uber/Neptune/Chrome.....and if you could specify which you have i'd really appreciate it!!! And if you bought a wideband, if you would include that too,......Thanks a ton!

I have an OBD2 GSR....so if anyone has something similar, that would be the most help since you would've had to get the OBD1 ECU too......
Old 11-27-2005, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boomslang harness-70
Chipping and socket, datalogging and labor-75
Plx M300 wideband- 299
All prices are shipped
Old 11-27-2005, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Crome has no h

I bought a chipping kit off ebay for $15, chipped my own ecu and then I have a friend that tunes me for free.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:31 PM
Man U FTW

how hard was it to chip the ECU....i haven't ever done that before and i'm a little worried about my skill w/ electronics......not too good if you know what i mean

I have to get an ECU first, then the chipping kit, and i plan to tune it myself......i have some sites to learn how to run Uber, but as far as Neptune and Crome....idk anything about them

Thanks for the help so far.....and if anyone has a used wideband that they don't want, i might be looking for one!

BTW what are you tuned on?? and do you like it???
Old 11-27-2005, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

I have no soldering skills either, that is why I am currently looking to have someone else chip, socket, and add datalogging calbe for me. In the mean time I am looking to practice soldering on the side, and if I screw up I'll still have the Good ECU that I can use if I decided to give up the attempted DIY chipping.

dont forget to add on the cost of a chip burner. you can also buy a chipping kit from Moates.net. I highly recommend going that route. I belive they are also $15.00, but you can get everything from him including the burner, needed chips and sockets, etc, and datalogging cable. I would honestly rather order from that site then ebay.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Average cost of Neptune/Chrome/Uberdata........ (Schister66)

Here is a list that I've posted on the forums several times:

BARE ESSENTIALS:
-laptop (hopefully you already have one)
-CromeFREE or Uberdata downloaded to your laptop
$55 to $85-EPROM burner ie. moates.net "BURN1" ebay.com Willem Enhanced Burner
$15 to $20-ECU chipping and socketing supplies
$120 to $175-chipped ECU buy a "virgin" ecu in the classifieds and have moates.net chip it for $20 or buy a prechipped ECU
$90 to $120-OBD2 to OBD1 ECU conversion harness (sine you have are OBD2)

With this setup you would have to get tuned at a dyno shop that has their own datalogging and wideband equipment.

THINGS THAT ARE NICE TO HAVE
$10 to $40-datalogging cable, Nokia 3285/5185 cell phone cable, Superdroids, moates Hondalog
$300 to $330-wideband O2 setup. Note: before you buy a Zeitronix Zt2 check and see if it is supported with the program you intend to use
$175-Ostrich romulator will allow you to do real time tuning
$149-Upgrade CromeFREE to CromePRO

This setup will allow you to do your own tuning. The datalogging cable allows you to hook up your tuning laptop to your ECU to datalog. The wideband setup allows you to monitor air/fuel ratios and a few other things depending on what WBO2 setup you get. You can either buy your own or borrow one from a friend or local tuner. The Ostrich romulator allows you to do real time programming or RTP. This means you dont have to constantly turn the car off and swap chips like you would with a ROM burner. With the Ostrich you make a change in your tuning program, and click SEND the changed fuel/timing maps from the laptop to the Ostrich.

Modified by BlueShadow at 9:30 PM 11/27/2005
Old 11-27-2005, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have some sites to learn how to run Uber, but as far as Neptune and Crome....idk anything about them
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Crome is just another program like Uberdata. It looks different (nicer IMO), but it works the same way. Crome also has fewer bugs and a few better features, and if you get CromePRO for $149 you'll get a bunch of extra features. John Cui also helps people out a lot and he keeps Crome updated.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:13 PM
Man U FTW

So if i get the romulator can i skip getting the chip burner if i get a chipped ECU??? Or how does that work????
Old 11-27-2005, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So if i get the romulator can i skip getting the chip burner if i get a chipped ECU??? Or how does that work????</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes you can. You could leave the romulator plugged in, but it's a little bulky. It has a battery life of 75 years, but with all the vibration in the car there is a chance the battery could fall out of place, and I've heard of this happening a few times. The ROM burner allows you to make a permanent burn to the chip so you can plug it into the ECU without worrying about the Ostrich staying plugged in. But I suppose you can get an Ostrich and do your tuning. Then once you are done e-mail the saved file (called a .bin) to somebody with a ROM burner and they can burn a chip for you.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:21 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueShadow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yes you can. You could leave the romulator plugged in, but it's a little bulky. It has a battery life of 75 years, but with all the vibration in the car there is a chance the battery could fall out of place, and I've heard of this happening a few times. The ROM burner allows you to make a permanent burn to the chip so you can plug it into the ECU without worrying about the Ostrich staying plugged in. But I suppose you can get an Ostrich and do your tuning. Then once you are done e-mail the saved file (called a .bin) to somebody with a ROM burner and they can burn a chip for you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think the ostrich is only neccesary when doing ALOT of tuning. Reall you can take it to a dyno and nail it in between pulls when you are letting the car cool down, that will help save costs.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93turbo16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93turbo16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think the ostrich is only neccesary when doing ALOT of tuning. Reall you can take it to a dyno and nail it in between pulls when you are letting the car cool down, that will help save costs. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think it's more a matter of personal preference.

I'll only be doing a little tuning with mine, but I dont wanna have to turn off the car, and swap chips everytime I have to make a change. When I street tune with the Ostrich I do a short pull, pull over, read the logs, correct fuel as needed, send to Ostrich and off I go. Some people on the other hand would rather save $175, and just turn the car off after a pull burn a chip and swap, start car to see if that's what needed to be changed. I remember when I was doing just my idle fuel I must have adjusted my fuel and at least 15 times to get it right. There was no way I was gonna go and swap chips that many times.

EDIT: also dont forget that when you are on a dyno, the whole process of swapping chips will take a little longer. So the way I see it, you can either save money and not buy an Ostrich and pay extra money for more dyno time, or buy the Ostrich and pay less money for less dyno time. It kinda balances itself out a little.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:36 PM

Default Re: (BlueShadow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueShadow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I think it's more a matter of personal preference.

EDIT: also dont forget that when you are on a dyno, the whole process of swapping chips will take a little longer. So the way I see it, you can either save money and not buy an Ostrich and pay extra money for more dyno time, or buy the Ostrich and pay less money for less dyno time. It kinda balances itself out a little.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree on the personal preference. I love my ostrich, no doubt.

But on your last comment, there is plenty of time to pull chips before runs. i don't know anyone that just keeps the car running all the time and keeps doing pull after pull. I like to run the car, shut it off and let it cool down to the same temp that it was at when I made the first pull.

But definitley tuning idle and part throttle with an ostrich is nice, but most people will keep their cars in closed loop, so basically just getting idle close and not having to touch it again.

But again it is definitley personal choice.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93turbo16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
But on your last comment, there is plenty of time to pull chips before runs. i don't know anyone that just keeps the car running all the time and keeps doing pull after pull. I like to run the car, shut it off and let it cool down to the same temp that it was at when I made the first pull.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry, I was talking about partial throttle while on a dyno. I'm with you on shutting it down after doing a WOT pull.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:42 PM

sorry, I was talking about partial throttle while on a dyno. I'm with you on shutting it down after doing a WOT pull.</TD></TR></TABLE>

right on

Definitley worth it for part throttle, open loop.

But honestly most cars can just be tuned for idle and WOT, not saying part throttle isn't important, it most certainly is, but having a good O2 and staying in closed loop makes things easy for a street car on the dyno.

Modified by 93turbo16 at 1:49 PM 11/28/2005
Old 11-27-2005, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i used to use uberdata, but found there to be too many bugs unfortunetly, and now it seems there aren't any newer developments on it other than some plugins. Crome is very user friendly and well worth the 150 bucks no doubt.

As for ostrich being a personal preference, take into account crome can do auto-tuning, and having an ostrich is imperative for thus especially for part throttle tuning, it makes it sooooo easy. You can just drive around for 45 minutes and have pretty much a perfect tune in part throttle, and this equals great gas mileage.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:00 PM
i HAS questions ?

Default Re: (Soccerking3000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Soccerking3000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As for ostrich being a personal preference, take into account crome can do auto-tuning, and having an ostrich is imperative for thus especially for part throttle tuning, it makes it sooooo easy. You can just drive around for 45 minutes and have pretty much a perfect tune in part throttle, and this equals great gas mileage.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You still can't auto-tune ignition though.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:06 PM
Man U FTW

well i've decided on Crome.....and so i need an Ostrich right?? I don't plan to dyno at all....i want to learn to do this all myself. I need the Ostrich, a wideband, an ECU, and Crome....what am i missing??

BTW, you guys have been a big help!
Old 11-27-2005, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (daveG)

well yea lol, for partial throttle most people with a manly sized turbo wont hit boost lol so stock timing would be fine. As for boost timing, cromes step-retard works really well and i only made minor changes on the dyno (wanted to stay fairly conservative)
Old 11-27-2005, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i've decided on Crome.....and so i need an Ostrich right?? I don't plan to dyno at all....i want to learn to do this all myself. I need the Ostrich, a wideband, an ECU, and Crome....what am i missing??

BTW, you guys have been a big help!</TD></TR></TABLE>

your missing crome pro, it has datalogging and makes it much easier to tune when everything is in the same program.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:21 PM
i HAS questions ?

Default Re: (Soccerking3000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Soccerking3000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well yea lol, for partial throttle most people with a manly sized turbo wont hit boost lol so stock timing would be fine. As for boost timing, cromes step-retard works really well and i only made minor changes on the dyno (wanted to stay fairly conservative)</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have a built engine though with lowered compression, so stock timing might not work too well. Then again, I'm running an AEM EMS so that just completely throws using stock maps out the window.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (daveG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by daveG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I have a built engine though with lowered compression, so stock timing might not work too well. Then again, I'm running an AEM EMS so that just completely throws using stock maps out the window. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well arent you special , i'm assuming he will use the stock map as a base with modifications to make boost tables and the like. I am in the same boat as you but i have raised compression, boost is more fun with higher compression lol

Edit: for the record i am too poor to have AEM EMS
Old 11-27-2005, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i've decided on Crome.....and so i need an Ostrich right?? I don't plan to dyno at all....i want to learn to do this all myself. I need the Ostrich, a wideband, an ECU, and Crome....what am i missing??

BTW, you guys have been a big help!</TD></TR></TABLE>

check that list I posted again. Sine you're OBD2 you'll need the OBD 2 to OBD1 ECU conversion harness. And also dont forget the datalogging cable. You should look into the Superdroids (IM 93turbo16) or better yet the Moates Hondalog cable. If you decide to use CromeFREE look into free datalogging software such a ECUcontrol (I think that's what it's called). You can find info on it at pgmfi.org. Or you can pay $149 for CromePRO which has datalogging and all the other nifty features. Also one thing I cant remember is if RTP will work with CromeFREE. I've only ever used it with CromePRO so I dont know whic version you need to use with the Ostrich.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

rtp will work with crome free, but you cant datalog, auto-tune, and other stuff with crome free inside the program by itself
Old 11-27-2005, 10:17 PM
Man U FTW

im looking at basic Crome for now, but i intend to upgrade to CromePro when i get some more money
Old 11-28-2005, 08:29 AM
Man U FTW

I was looking for a wideband and i found the R500.....i don't need all of those functions, but i could learn to use it and start tuning other people.

If i got the R500, what would i be able to not get.....i am looking at Crome, w/ a new ECU, harness, and an Ostrich in order to do real time tuning, but if i got the R500, would i still need to get the other things???

Quick Reply: Average cost of Neptune/Chrome/Uberdata........