Notices

Autometer Cobalt Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autometer Cobalt Gauges

Hey I'm new to all the turbo stuff, but I like the autometer cobalt gauges. Full-race GT35R..bout 480-500 on pump. My questions are....

1.I want all electrical and not mechanical gauges right?

2.For the boost gauge should I get the one with Vac as well?

3.For Fuel pressure I'd wanna get the 100psi read out right? Not the 30psi.

4.Is this the order from most to least important? I am asking so I know where I should mount them so I can see the important ones the easiest.

Wideband, Boost, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, EGT, Fuel Pressure

Modified by totsie7944 at 3:12 PM 9/22/2007

Modified by totsie7944 at 3:14 PM 9/22/2007
Old 09-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Autometer Cobalt Gauges (totsie7944)

1. Basically yes.

2. Yes, it's nice to see how much vacuum you're pulling.

3. Correct, the 30 psi ones are for carbureated cars.

4. I wouldn't say so. From those you listed, here's the order I would put them in

Wideband, Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure, EGT, Oil Temp, Boost

Boost is actually pretty unimportant to me, IMHO. Unless you're adjusting a boost controller and want to see how much you're actually making you don't really need one that bad, most ECU's have a boost cut built in. Oil pressure and wideband are self explanitory because they can help you save your motor, fuel pressure will let you know if a pump is going wrong or whatever, EGT can tell you if your timing is way out of whack, and oil temp obviously to check if you're running hot.

Although normal coolant temp is more important than fuel pressure to me, anyways.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Autometer Cobalt Gauges (tokesGTR)

Thanks man. Really helpful.

As for coolant, I was pretty much going to rely on my stock gauge to make sure its not hella hot or anything. I figured between that and the oil temp gauge I would be safe...?
Old 09-22-2007, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by totsie7944 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks man. Really helpful.

As for coolant, I was pretty much going to rely on my stock gauge to make sure its not hella hot or anything. I figured between that and the oil temp gauge I would be safe...?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Could be, but I'm **** and I'd rather have a "real" gauge in there so you can make a direct comparison. I think you can still be in the normal range on a honda gauge and be running 200+ degrees, so you don't have an exact measurement.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:54 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tokesGTR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Could be, but I'm **** and I'd rather have a "real" gauge in there so you can make a direct comparison. I think you can still be in the normal range on a honda gauge and be running 200+ degrees, so you don't have an exact measurement.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha yea I hear ya. My problem is I already have to try and mount 7 gauges and honestly I don't want the interior of my R filled with gauges everywhere. I'm thinknig I will get a 3 gauge pillar....then have 1 on each side of the steering wheel ON TOP of the dash. Then mount the EGT and nitrous (intercooler spray not spraying the motor) mounted somewhere...not really sure where right now because I would put them under the CD player, but I'm putting 6 switches there for various things. And below that I have a custom mounted apexi boost controller so I have no room in that area.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't really need to monitor nitrous bottle pressure for an IC sprayer. YOu'll have the mini bottle gauge and that's good enough, it's not like you have to be exactyly precise on the bottle temp to spray the IC core.

With that being said, I'd ditch the IC sprayer if I were you Not worth much, the nitrous is better used to spray into the motor. Spraying the IC while you're racing can be very bad, since nitrous will go through the IC/Rad and get injested by the motor anyways, and it'll run lean if you don't correct for it.

FWIW, I have 7 gauges in my GTR and I think it's plenty. double gauge pod on top of the edge of the dash (boost and EGT) , defi DIN-gauge in the center console (oil temp, coolant temp, oil pressure), fuel pressure gauge along with my boost controller and turbo timer where the ashtray was, wideband readout where the clock normally goes. I like the boost and EGT to be up closer to my field of vision, I don't have a boost cut in my ECU so I like it to be up there where I can get off the throttle instantly if the warning light comes on, same with EGT on a long pull. oil pressure/temp are not totally in my field of vision, but it's easy to glance over at them quickly. Wideband is also pretty much directly in my FOV so it's easy to see if it's running lean.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:53 AM

Yea good call. I am ditching the n2o for now. After I get tuned up and running correctly I will talk to my tuner about it possibly in the future.

Can you take a pic of your gauge setup....even with a cell phone is good enough just so I can see how it looks.

thanks man
Old 09-24-2007, 09:11 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW

also an option for places to mount guages ^
Old 09-24-2007, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here is my gauge set-up for now, AEM Wideband, AEM Tru Boost, Cobalt Pyro/Oil Pressure/Water Temp

i temporarily mounted the Oil Pressure and Water Temp down below where the change holder and cigarette outlet is. I am still trying to find someone who makes the frogeyes for the EG's
Old 09-24-2007, 10:04 PM

Default Re: Autometer Cobalt Gauges (Urban_Indian)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWD1V

eg frogeye pod by NRG
Old 09-24-2007, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Autometer Cobalt Gauges (ridin98civic)

thank you, i searched alot of hours and i found one, but i lost the link
Old 09-24-2007, 11:04 PM

no prob. looks like it will match your hood as well.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:52 AM

Default Re: Autometer Cobalt Gauges (ridin98civic)

thanks for the pics. I will prolly get the 3 pillar plus the console thing to hold the other 2.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are you going with the console delete? or are you going with the frog eyes. i will post the picture of the console( its rather ghetto mind you but it works nicely and with a couple hours of cleanup it would look like it belonged there)
Old 09-26-2007, 06:18 AM

Well i hate hiding some of my gauges like water temp with the console delete....but the frog eyes kinda look silly to me.

I might just get individual pods for the last two gauges and mount them with double sided sticky tape or something....not sure yet.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its not so much hiding them. I dont know what an actual console delete looks like but here is what i did for my water temp and oil pressue.

I know I know my car was filthy, thats what happens after a solid 26 hour gauge install does.