Notices

Apparent fuel ratio problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 01:13 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apparent fuel ratio problem

It has been a long time since I last posted here, but I have a strange problem and figured that I would get some good answers here. A few days ago my car would not start. It turned over great, but no start. In doing some trouble-shooting I determined that the plugs were fouled and causing the problem. I cleaned the plugs, they're not that old, and put them back in. Presto, the car starts fine now. The problem is, I cannot get the 02 sensor to output a voltage much different than .460 regardless of the throttle position. It idles at .440-.480 and when I am driving it the reading is right at .460 or very close. This is not right! Before the starting problem it would fluctuate like normal, and would be right near 1.00 volts under heavy-full throttle. Some other info that may be helpful, during the start-up trouble-shooting I put a bottle of HEET Gas Line Anti-Freeze and Water Remover in the tank with just over a half tank of gas. I have a Hondata 2B with a P28 ECU, RC 440cc injectors, AEM Adjustable FPR, Walbro 255lph pump. The fuel pressure reads ~40psi at idle, when I pull the vac hose and pinch it goes to 50psi which is the same operation before the problem started so it doesn't looks like a problem with the FPR or fuel pump but I don't know. Could this all be due to the fuel additive, a bad tank of gas, etc? Any helpful hints or suggestions are very appreciated.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:26 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Apparent fuel ratio problem (TurboSedan)

make sure that the diaphram isnt ripped in the aem fpr. i just had one hydro lock an engine with fuel because the diaphram ripped. i cant see an o2 sensor that is lazy not letting the engine start. good luck either way.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:04 PM
New User

Default Re: Apparent fuel ratio problem (boostedcivicsir)

On the regulator that had the ripped diaphragm, was it used in a Hondata system or a system which would see higher fuel pressures?
Old 12-22-2004, 02:07 PM
Mr. Badwrench

we had a vortech fmu on it as well. but it was ripped so bad that it filled up each cylinder with fuel while it was cruising down the highway. luckilly the crower billet rods held up.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:10 PM
New User

In order to check the diaphragm will I have to completely remove the FPR from the fuel rail, or could I simply remove the top portion of the FPR while leaving it attached the the fuel rail?
Old 12-22-2004, 02:13 PM
Mr. Badwrench

in the case if the one i had, it would shoot fuel out of the vacuum port while it was running.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:19 PM
New User

Damn man! I pulled the vac hose from the FPR and pinched it to check the pressure and it never shot fuel out of the vac port.

BTW, I have not reset the ECU since the starting problem began. At one point the battery was very very low on juice from trying to start it so I am not sure if the ECU wasn't reset or improperly reset due to the low voltage on the battery. Should I go through a proper ECU reset to make sure that it is alright? I have read that you shouldn't reset the ECU when you have fuel additives, but would HEET matter?
Old 12-22-2004, 02:31 PM
Mr. Badwrench

you may just have a lazy O2 and it is running that fat.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:34 PM
New User

Yeah, I am afraid of that too. Would a lazy 02 cause the plugs to foul more quickly than normal? I would think so since it causes the rich condition.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:18 AM
New User

Well, I drove it 12 miles to work today through the snow which fell overnight and it never acted strange. On a side note, I can highly recommend Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 tires to those who live where it snows a significant amount. These tires totally ROCK!