Notices

Anyone used these cooling fans before?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone used these cooling fans before?

Trying to find a pair of 12" slim cooling fans I can install on the front of my radiator and a/c condenser for the turbo conversion and these seem to be the best value for money I can find. Anyone ever use these? I've never even heard of Zirgo but they have good flow numbers and construction seems decent in the pics, $71 a piece is not bad after searching around. I actually need 3 fans (another project car too) so buying the $200 fans is not really an option.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HFM-ZFB12S/?rtype=10

Thanks guys
Malcolm
Old 08-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Anyone used these cooling fans before?

the-fan-man.com

Best fans you can get. Although Zirgos are very good also
Old 08-07-2011, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
the-fan-man.com

Best fans you can get. Although Zirgos are very good also
I saw that site actually but an S-blade 12" pusher fan is $112 Vs $71 for the Zirgo. Also the Zirgo from summit racing has free shipping the Spal from the-fan-man has $17 shipping. That's $58 difference and I need 3 of them.

I've used Spal fans in the past on other projects and I do agree they are some quality pieces that flow very well. I have learned the hard way you definitely want to get the s-blade versions though. The CFM is ever so slightly less than the straight blade (very minimal) but the noise difference is massive. The straight blade versions make horrendous noise. I used to have a 16" spal under the hood of one of my v8 Rangers and people used to ask me if I had a boeing trapped under the hood lol.

So if the Zirgo's are also pretty good I think that may be the route for me to go. Thanks man.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zirgos are very good. You will be happy
Old 09-16-2011, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received my two Zirgo cooling fans today and wow. Not sure if it was just a bad batch or what but they are piles of crap. For starters the blades barely turn around because the blades are so warped they grind into the fan housing real bad. The grill looking side of the fan that protects your fingers or what ever from getting into the blades. I need it in a pusher mode anyway so I removed the blade and flipped it around and put it back and now it sticks out past the fan housing to much. It's just a little but enough it'll grind into your radiator when you try and power it on. Not to mention when you spin the blades around by hand they wobble so much.

I also noticed on the back side the screws that hold the motor to the housing are half coming out so I go to snug them down and oh imagine that, one is completely stripped.

It's nice they include a electrical connector on the end by they don't include the other side of it?? so really I have no choice but to just cut it off. How odd.

I think this was one time where I got what I paid for. Oh well, lesson learned. Send these back and spend the money on decent fans. How disappointing.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:27 PM
Track Advocate

bought these fans on 2 separate occasions, sold one to a friend and still using the $12 now as a pusher. they were nowhere close to the condition you received yours and from my experience i'd recommend them to anyone.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah not sure what to make of it. This surely can't be normal or they wouldn't be able to stay in business.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats not the norm. I alwasy recomend Zirgo fans. There great ive been running mine for 4 years and still going strong. Something isnt right there.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You wouldn't think the reseller you get them from makes any difference but I got them here.

http://www.amazon.com/Zirgo-ZFB12S-1...f=pd_sbs_auto9

I was going to get them from summitracing but they were out of stock at the time for a few weeks.

Amazon's seller behind the scenes is a place called HPP Enterprises. Surely they didn't sell me some horrible chinese knock offs.

BTW - I went to flip the blade around on the second fan to make it a pusher and the thread on that center shaft is stripped. I can't even put the blade back. wtf man. These are ridiculous.

I'm amazed at all the good feed back they're getting from you guys though. It makes me wonder If I should re-order these from Summit and see if I get something much better. Or just go with the Spals which will run me $250 for a pair with shipping. A good $110 more.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe there knock offs and not real zirgo fans ???? Any time ive used or seen a zirgo there top notch quality
Old 09-17-2011, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I called Zirgo and spoke to their sales department (all that was there on a saturday) and they were appalled by the quality of the fans I received. They said that is definitely not the normal quality of their fans. They asked me to leave a VM with their tech support and let them know the quality of the fans received and they also asked for the name of the reseller I got them from.

I told him I had not purchased from Summit because they are out of stock till the 26th and he said they had over a hundred of them in stock right now. Not sure what the delay is there. He offered to sell me two directly but it was quite a bit more than what Summit sells them so I told him I'd wait on that.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:12 AM
pjd
Honda-Tech Member

might as well Get these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2X-12...ht_2606wt_1165
1550CFM ur has 1229
Old 09-17-2011, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pjd
might as well Get these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2X-12...ht_2606wt_1165
1550CFM ur has 1229
What the heck. Something doesn't add up there. $39.99 for TWO fans, free shipping, and they outflow even the SPAL fans. If you look around at 12" fans most flow in the 800 some CFM range up to the more expensive or powerful models that can do upwards of 1200 CFM range. Even the SPAL that draws 13.5 amps only puts out 1360 CFM.

Also notice those fans just say reverse the wires to make it push or pull fan. That means the blades are very generic and can push air either way. A higher end fan like the Spal come in two different models, push or pull. The fan blades are different and designed for each application. It's part of how they manage to get their high flow numbers. Even the Zirgo required removing the fan and turning it around to work correctly.

I'd have to call BS on those fans doing anywhere near 1550 CFM.

I have to say at only $40 shipping to my door for a pair I might get a set just to play with. Even if they only do 800 CFM they might work as I have no clue on what CFM the factory fans are rated. So sort of shooting in the dark as to my air flow requirements.