Notices

Anyone use multi electrode spark plugs??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use multi electrode spark plugs??

I just got some bosch four prong spark plugs, my mechanics friend uses them on his race car he says they are very good. Anyway I'll have them in tomorow and see how they go at the moment I have a misfire, I am hoping they will cure it.
I am also running a MSD 6a so they should be getting plenty of juice.

Anyone else use these? If so what do you think of them.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anyone use multi electrode spark plugs?? (turbozxi)

I use what works for thousands of other boosted hondas. Why? Because i want mine to work too.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just got some bosch four prong spark plugs, my mechanics friend uses them on his race car he says they are very good. Anyway I'll have them in tomorow and see how they go at the moment I have a misfire, I am hoping they will cure it.

Anyone else use these? If so what do you think of them. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Let us know how they work!
Old 07-20-2004, 07:16 AM

Complete waste of money. If anything they hurt tuning.

A spark will only jump one gap. With 1 electrode you always know where it is going, and you can index the plugs for the best flame kernal. With 4 electrodes it is completely random, and thus the flame kernal is different every time and thus it is impossible to index your plugs. Just buy regular copper plugs, or iridium if you are worried about the copper oxidizing.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone use multi electrode spark plugs?? (MachAF)

i used the Zex plugs when i was spraying and i didnt like them . they burned funny on the electrodes.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

change mechanics.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbo E 604)

Haha you guys crack me up. I think the idea is that the spark plug go's where its wants, the easiest path. The race car in question uses methanol and he runs them and likes them, hopefully they will be in today.

PS trying new things Bailhatch is how change for the better happens.

Old 07-20-2004, 09:53 AM

Those Bosch +4s are some of the sorriest plugs out there. I fouled out 2 sets in my lude just running NA. I guess thats why they have a lifetime warranty, cause they have to replace them all the time. I am running NGk Iridiums now and I went thru several bottles of go-go juice and going turbo now. And they still look almost new. I would recommend these plugs over those Bosch anyday. And I seem to remember talking to some people that said you shouldn't run platinum plugs in any FI car.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbozxi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Haha you guys crack me up. I think the idea is that the spark plug go's where its wants, the easiest path. The race car in question uses methanol and he runs them and likes them, hopefully they will be in today.

PS trying new things Bailhatch is how change for the better happens.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, what I was eluding to was that you are certinaly NOT the first to try this and find it is not ideal. sorry if that wasn't clear. 9 dollars will buy you 4 of the finest FI plugs you can get; NGK BKR7Es. I use them in my honda as well as all my customers FI hondas. Reinventing the wheel is...um, funny for me to watch
Old 07-20-2004, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used the Zex multi electrode plugs for 5 minutes and my car was misfiring like a SOB.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:44 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am also running a MSD 6a so they should be getting plenty of juice.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh, yeah. You can't regap multi-electrode plugs, either.

I also trust NGK. I use NGK-R V-power plugs. (My engine runs like butt without resistor-type plugs)
Old 07-20-2004, 04:59 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>I know I have read and been told this countless times. But an MSD ignition doesn't provide any more spark then a stock Honda ignition does. All it does is help put the spark in at the right time or allows you to put it where you want it. Is that not right?
Old 07-20-2004, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone use multi electrode spark plugs?? (slipslap)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slipslap &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know I have read and been told this countless times. But an MSD ignition doesn't provide any more spark then a stock Honda ignition does. All it does is help put the spark in at the right time or allows you to put it where you want it. Is that not right?</TD></TR></TABLE> Supposedly over 15000 volts more, anyway as long as its heaps of juice. Anyway I'll go install them now.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:19 PM

MSD 6a = 120 millijoules. Twice what the stock ignition puts out.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone use multi electrode spark plugs?? (beepy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Complete waste of money. If anything they hurt tuning.

A spark will only jump one gap. With 1 electrode you always know where it is going, and you can index the plugs for the best flame kernal. With 4 electrodes it is completely random, and thus the flame kernal is different every time and thus it is impossible to index your plugs. Just buy regular copper plugs, or iridium if you are worried about the copper oxidizing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

just to add, the extra electrodes also impede the flame kernal growth so you get errattic ignition.

electricity is lazy and always takes the path of least resistance, so even if you have 50 electrodes on your plug, the spark will only jump to the one with the smallest gap.

NGK BKR7E

All you need or want in a plug.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Anyone use multi electrode spark plugs?? (Turbo E 604)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo E 604 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">NGK BKR7E11

All you need or want in a plug.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree

Copper is a good conductor of electricity that is why they use that to make wires.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone use multi electrode spark plugs?? (CRX T-Si)

Well worst result possible, I have either spun a bearing or cracked a piston its number 3 making the noise so chances are its a piston I am guessing if thats the case then those plugs were the standard heat range... I guess the plug will show sign of detonation if thats the case, that salesman may have to eat some humble pie. They didn't cure the misfire either they weren't to bad they did improve upon my old NGK's gapped to 0.028 thats as wide as I could gap them without blowing the spark out up top, but yeah I will stick with NGK from now on..
Old 07-22-2004, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bailhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bailhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, what I was eluding to was that you are certinaly NOT the first to try this and find it is not ideal. sorry if that wasn't clear. 9 dollars will buy you 4 of the finest FI plugs you can get; NGK BKR7Es. I use them in my honda as well as all my customers FI hondas. Reinventing the wheel is...um, funny for me to watch </TD></TR></TABLE>

Same thing here... running BKR7e.
fine plug's and don't need a loan to switch them...

Krnaked.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

aw man.....
Old 07-23-2004, 05:19 AM

Default Re: (kranked91dx)

kranked91dx Where can I get a Avatar like that?? I want **** bouncing up and down like that.

Oh yeah, NGK's copper plugs for life.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mine got banned. dont bother