Notices

Anyone running any of these turbos? Help me pic

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running any of these turbos? Help me pic

Its for a Cx hatch that will be bone stock but a 2.5" cat back and Y8 Intake Manifold. Might built the bottom end later on if I want more power.

Looking for a fun DD with around 200Whp. Might hit the track occasionally but where I live its really rainy and back road fun is more my goal.

What I am looking at, any info would be help fun:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...481460941.html - this is the one I am most interested because of price! and it looks really small so less lag?

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...451882595.html

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...486287964.html

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...482887869.html

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...478052897.html - I'll ask for some info on this one if you guys dont have any in your infinite knowledge

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...447216683.html

P.s: Starving student here so I am looking for a budget build, around $1500 Can. for the whole build

Edited my budget lol

Last edited by alejo98cx; 11-30-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone running any of these turbos? Help me pic

I think you would be better off saving for a kit instead of that craigslist crap. You need to take a step back and see what it realistically is going to cost you including a tune
Old 11-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If your budget is that tight, buy a t3/t4 off ebay along with a cast manifold and everything else that goes along with it. Ebays great for budget builds. Aslong as you get some decent engine management you'd be ok. Like a vafc and some 450's. It can be done. Look at the faq alot of useful info in there.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

One thing I wont buy off ebay is a turbo... Not worth the risk, you guys dont think any of those are worth it
Old 12-01-2009, 03:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i know we all think ebay turbos are crap and yes the do not produce the same power or made the same as there copied counterpart but my dd has had the same ebay turbo for 2 years. It has minimal shaft play and still works great, but i guess i got lucky. I agree dont skimp on a turbo you'll be unhappy with the power it makes and it might take a **** on you
Old 12-01-2009, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well since the first link and last two dont give any details on the turbo, i cant say. the gt28r would be nice but may be out of your budget. i wouldnt pay $200 for a used t25 off a 2g dsm.

my $.02
Old 12-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Now that you've seen those prices do you think this is a good deal for me?

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...482812421.html

posted this a few days ago but most people saying that its too much money, or just not a good deal... Doesn't seem to bad compared to what I am seeing on craigslist

P.s: is there a way to change the Psi an internal wastegate changes at? Cus this one is set at 10Psi and I think that'll be a bit much for a stock block. (unless I always run 93 and a super conservative tune)
Old 12-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you should buy something new so you dont get shafted since (no offense) you dont seem to know exactly ehat your loking for
Old 12-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea, kinda new at this game, I know what I need just not what it is...make sense? There is only so much you can learn from foroums.

P.s: are you making 300Hp with an ebay turbo? What car is it on?

Thinking that ebay might not be that bad of an idea if I use the things they can't **** up, and switch to a log manifold or better parts as I get bit more money. I dont like the idea of egay, but I do like the idea of having enough money to be able to buy a kit tonight.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:32 PM

volvo turbo*
Old 12-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats what I was thinking, do you know anything about it? I know Airesearch is another name for garrett.

Also found a Sr20 turbo in "ok" condition for $100, could offer less and my uncle is a mechanic so he could help me with rebuilding it no problem.... now that I think of it he can probably hook me with a turbo kit like the Garrett one or something like that for as much as a ebay one
Old 12-02-2009, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It is a 50 trim ebay turbo. Its been beat on for about 2 years with barely any shaft play. The only good thing about a cast log manifold is that there more durable than those stainless equal length ebay manifolds. I wish i would have gone with a better turbo in the beginning but i was young and dumb and just wanted to go fast cheap......Im still young and dumb but now have more expensive taste and a little better direction listening to all the guys who know what there doing. There is an infinite amount of wisdom on this site minus the haters!
Old 12-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Exactly why I dont want to go ebay, I am young and dumb but dont want to go fast for cheap, I want it done right, and there are tons of people who build dope turbo set ups with used DSM turbos and quality used parts.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alejo98cx
Thats what I was thinking, do you know anything about it? I know Airesearch is another name for garrett.

Also found a Sr20 turbo in "ok" condition for $100, could offer less and my uncle is a mechanic so he could help me with rebuilding it no problem.... now that I think of it he can probably hook me with a turbo kit like the Garrett one or something like that for as much as a ebay one
That t25 might be a better option given your motor - I'm surprised nobody said anything about it yet.

Your stock CX motor has rods like tooth picks. It also has a lousy cam & head for making power. You'd need a large, laggy turbo to make 200whp with it, assuming the rods can take the abuse.

The volvo turbo can make over 200whp, but you'd have to grind the inlet flange flat for a regular T3 manifold. However I know those housings in particular use a better iron than most T3's. The sr20 turbo would need a bit more boost for 200whp, but it's possible. Both turbos will have relatively low lag and fun for the street. A 1g DSM 14b turbo is another option, but many are very beat up. The 2g DSM's used a smaller t25-sized turbo, so you'd get less lag and less power.

As far as the wastegate, you have to open it up & cut the spring. Usually it's easier to buy another used actuator and make a bracket for it. Google "junkyard wastegate" and you'll find some common turbo cars with their wastegate PSI listed.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you!

200Whp is what I am saying would be like really really great, I think i'll be fine with less (as long as its over 160-170 so I dont get my doors blown off by stock GSR's or my friends moms ****ing passat) atleast untill I build my bottom end.... Would a Port and polised MiniMe make a big difference with these little turbos?

What do you think I could expect from a T25 or that volvo one with about 9Psi boost, stock motor, maybe an Egay intercooler or (saw some one talking about this) Rx7 top mount intercooler mounted where the AC cooler would go.

P.s: With stock internals I would go with a conservative tune with the risk of loosing power so I dont loose a motor

P.p.s: in response to your profile pic I am a little boost retarded
Old 12-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im tryin to do a dsm t25 i got from the junk yard for $50 and ill be pushing 8 to 11 with the stock wastegate and ill be using hondata s300 so it can handle it and even then my d15 will have 200 at most before it blows or needs a rebuild

if ur doin head work or getting a minime then go ahead and get a head gasket and studs and push 15 psi with a good tune but even then against gsr's u may still have a problem cuz my cx stock motor was garbage
Old 12-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think with the weight difference a 170horse civic could take on a gsr no?

I would not want to boost to more than 10Psi without a built bottom end (I know it is the power not that Psi that matter when rods start snaping), so pretty much what I am concluding that if I want power (near 200) I am going to be looking for a bigger, more laggy turbo....how laggy are we talking here, I dont mind full boost by 4K, that way just regular driving I dont have to feed a turbo