Anyone playing with E85 yet in their turbo motor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 05:08 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Re: (MidShipCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MidShipCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Instead of making 3 post of bs, why dont you try running the fuel first.

Buzz off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, you're cool.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Bense)

The only benefit of running E85 is the higher octane. Thats it. If you need higher octane fuel for a day of racing, E85 might be a good option, but otherwise I'm not sure if its worth the extra effort. You wont save money. Based on everything I've read your fuel economy goes down enough that you don't end up saving any money. Plus then you figure you have to go to the gas station more. Thats time, and time=money. So really you are losing money if you think in those terms. So basically E85's value is in the higher octane.

On a side note: I was watching The Daily Show the other day and some lady from The Wallstreet Journal said because of a law passed by congress in regards to using more ethanol in our fuel, it has effectively increased gasoline prices due to the lack of supply of ethanol. Good job congress.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nowtype)

If you want to upgrade your fuel lines to something that you wont have any worries, go with Earls Pro Lite 350. Its good for methanol so ethanol wont be a any problem.

http://store.summitracing.com/...w=sku

Regards,
Justin
Old 04-30-2006, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm glad to see that there's another one of these threads going. I did a lot of research a while back on getting this stuff to run in my civic that I am about to put a natural gas engine in. But concluded that there just weren't enough current people researching this on hondas for me to attempt this project just yet.

My main concerns would be that I'd have to replace the fuel lines that go underneat the car. Like from the fuel tank to the firewall.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont think CNG will ever take off as a performance fuel. It's much harder to handle than liquid fuel and there is very little energy per unit than the energy in gasoline. CNG is great for industrial type stuff though.
they use natural gas a lot around here for irrigation wells but a "small" well pump would be a 4.3L GM Vortec V6 and only makes like 150hp on Methane. even a monster 454 GM big block only makes like 300hp on methane.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Good thing my bone stock d16 comes with 12.5:1cr and stainless valves This will be an excellent engine to try this on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

huh?
Old 05-01-2006, 09:14 AM
Go Tigers!

Default Re: (Pay2play killa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pay2play killa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I dont think CNG will ever take off as a performance fuel. It's much harder to handle than liquid fuel and there is very little energy per unit than the energy in gasoline. CNG is great for industrial type stuff though.
they use natural gas a lot around here for irrigation wells but a "small" well pump would be a 4.3L GM Vortec V6 and only makes like 150hp on Methane. even a monster 454 GM big block only makes like 300hp on methane. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, I realize that cng doesn't mix very well with atmospheric air, but the advantage is, get a motor that's been "modified" for cng, and do a fuel rail/injector swap. Or in my cause, a d16y8 intake manifold swap.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pay2play killa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">huh?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes sir, that's right. Nobody knows about the d16b5. And that is how I got one with 12,000 miles on it for $375

12.5:1cr
stronger rods
etc
Old 05-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes, I realize that cng doesn't mix very well with atmospheric air, but the advantage is, get a motor that's been "modified" for cng, and do a fuel rail/injector swap. Or in my cause, a d16y8 intake manifold swap.

Yes sir, that's right. Nobody knows about the d16b5. And that is how I got one with 12,000 miles on it for $375

12.5:1cr
stronger rods
etc</TD></TR></TABLE>

is that a cng specific motor? have any more info on it? thats interesting
Old 05-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Go Tigers!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pay2play killa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

is that a cng specific motor? have any more info on it? thats interesting</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm documenting everything in my d16b5/d16y5 project thread, check the sig.

well, I'll give a nutshell here, mainly cause it's just so exciting.

basically
d16 block, with stronger rods. the rods are very similar to b18b rods. but b18b rods have a 21mm wrist pin. all d-series are 19mm, EXCEPT the 98-00 civic gx motor. cng is in a gas form, so it doesn't mix as well with air as a liquid based fuel. For this reason honda upped the compression to give it a better mixture of air/gas.

Because of the upped compression, they made the bottom end stronger. It has unique rods, the only d-series with b-series sized wrist pins. unique pistons. It uses a metal head gasket like the d16y8. and uses a vtec-e cylinder head like the d16y5 civic hx. However, the 1intake valve in low rpms promotes a "swirl" in the combustion chamber to help "stir" the air/cng. It also has stainless valves.

But nobody knows about this engine until now. Try searching on ht for d16b5. Most of my information comes from hours of comparing part numbers on hondapartdeals.com

in 96-00 d-series, the 99-00 (d16y5,d16y7,d16y8) use a unique air injection. This special breather type hole for the injectors. I dunno wtf this is for. However, why would cng need a "breather" hole, the cng would just escape. So even though the 99-00 d16y* uses air injection, the 99-00 d16b5 doesn't.

1999 gx motor (d16b5) uses the same intake manifold gasket as a 97 hx. which uses the same intake manifold gasket as a 97 ex. Quick easy way to convert this thing to gasoline? = intake manifold swap.

so there you have it, factory build high performance engine that sit in most junk yards because who buys gx motors. Well crazy mother ******* like me I guess. And mistamike17 just bought one with 8000 miles on it for $300, yes 300.

Much more than I was going to say, but as you can see, it's very exciting.

Modified by Bense at 6:54 PM 5/1/2006

Modified by Bense at 6:55 PM 5/1/2006
Old 05-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in for more info. i think i'll try running e85 on my new set-up!
Old 05-01-2006, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TheShocker)

The real benefits or E85 become apparent when you are running high compression engines on it. It is able to support ridiculosly high compression numbers.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm documenting everything in my d16b5/d16y5 project thread, check the sig.

well, I'll give a nutshell here, mainly cause it's just so exciting.

basically
d16 block, with stronger rods. the rods are very similar to b18b rods. but b18b rods have a 21mm wrist pin. all d-series are 19mm, EXCEPT the 98-00 civic gx motor. cng is in a gas form, so it doesn't mix as well with air as a liquid based fuel. For this reason honda upped the compression to give it a better mixture of air/gas.

Because of the upped compression, they made the bottom end stronger. It has unique rods, the only d-series with b-series sized wrist pins. unique pistons. It uses a metal head gasket like the d16y8. and uses a vtec-e cylinder head like the d16y5 civic hx. However, the 1intake valve in low rpms promotes a "swirl" in the combustion chamber to help "stir" the air/cng. It also has stainless valves.

But nobody knows about this engine until now. Try searching on ht for d16b5. Most of my information comes from hours of comparing part numbers on hondapartdeals.com

in 96-00 d-series, the 99-00 (d16y5,d16y7,d16y8) use a unique air injection. This special breather type hole for the injectors. I dunno wtf this is for. However, why would cng need a "breather" hole, the cng would just escape. So even though the 99-00 d16y* uses air injection, the 99-00 d16b5 doesn't.

1999 gx motor (d16b5) uses the same intake manifold gasket as a 97 hx. which uses the same intake manifold gasket as a 97 ex. Quick easy way to convert this thing to gasoline? = intake manifold swap.

so there you have it, factory build high performance engine that sit in most junk yards because who buys gx motors. Well crazy mother ******* like me I guess. And mistamike17 just bought one with 8000 miles on it for $300, yes 300.

Much more than I was going to say, but as you can see, it's very exciting.

Modified by Bense at 6:54 PM 5/1/2006
Modified by Bense at 6:55 PM 5/1/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>

very interesting; I wonder how common those motors are and where they were mostly sold (geographically). I've never seen any CNG vehicle around this area, the only alternative fuel cars are LPG, thats real popular but there's nothing special about propane.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Justin Olson)

"Got the car tuned last week. Stock 488 CID.

At 7.5 psi the car made 808/828

At 15.1 psi the car made 1075/10XX on 93 octane after 3 back to back pulls.
We were in a hurry to get the car finished and tuned on E85 so no cold dyno queen pulls.

E85
On 7.5psi 817/828
On 10psi and E85 the car made 912/852 tq
On 13.5 psi 1055/1035
The E85 starts to shine at the higher boost levels, of course.

Here are some vids...

http://svspower.com/images/upload/video_61_0.wmv
http://mark8.org/users/ponyfre...i.wmv

"

http://www.turbomustangs.com/s...851.0
Old 05-02-2006, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShocker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">in for more info. i think i'll try running e85 on my new set-up! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Just remember you will need bigger injectors and a good fuel pump because you will need more fuel.

Shane at DB Performance did a great job tuning my setup on E85.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Meat_Wagon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Meat_Wagon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just remember you will need bigger injectors and a good fuel pump because you will need more fuel.

Shane at DB Performance did a great job tuning my setup on E85.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Will do. Are you the guy from ND that put down 480whp on e85? How much torque did you make?
Old 05-02-2006, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Meat_Wagon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Just remember you will need bigger injectors and a good fuel pump because you will need more fuel.

Shane at DB Performance did a great job tuning my setup on E85.</TD></TR></TABLE>
when you say bigger injectors, do you mean bigger then what you already have for you set up (780CC) and bigger fuel pump(walbro). I just want to know seeing that I live in denver and I can get E85. I already have all the lines converted to -6an steel braided lines, and I just wanted to give this stuff a shot.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kevino002 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
when you say bigger injectors, do you mean bigger then what you already have for you set up (780CC) and bigger fuel pump(walbro). I just want to know seeing that I live in denver and I can get E85. I already have all the lines converted to -6an steel braided lines, and I just wanted to give this stuff a shot.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It depends on how much power you want to make. The average is 20-50% more e85 than gas.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShocker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Will do. Are you the guy from ND that put down 480whp on e85? How much torque did you make?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It made 471whp and 360tq. It should have made more power put i think it was sucking in exhaust from the wastegate dump. This was on a Dyno Dynamics dyno.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meat_Wagon, good stuff on e85! You mentioned that you run a bosch external fuel pump... is this the one? https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1551140

Would you min dharing what injectors you are running? Duty cycle? Basically, if you are willing to share, I'd be curious to see some actual BSFC #'s
Old 05-02-2006, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (servion)

Yup, i'm running that pump with -10an from the tank to pump and then -8an from pump to the rail, using the stock feed for the return.

I'm running Precision 1600cc injectors. I forgot to ask at what duty cycle they were at. I know that the tuner had to tell the Hondata they were 1000cc to compensate for the e85.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by servion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Meat_Wagon, good stuff on e85! You mentioned that you run a bosch external fuel pump... is this the one? https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1551140
Would you min dharing what injectors you are running? Duty cycle? Basically, if you are willing to share, I'd be curious to see some actual BSFC #'s </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nice I post up a question and one post later my tunner jumps in on this. Hey Jer do you think I could or should run this on my set up, I was thinking about giving it a shot. that would give me an excuse to get my car on the dyno!!
Old 05-02-2006, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (kevino002)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kevino002 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Nice I post up a question and one post later my tunner jumps in on this. Hey Jer do you think I could or should run this on my set up, I was thinking about giving it a shot. that would give me an excuse to get my car on the dyno!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think that would be an excellent idea for you man

In your case, the main issue would be the injector size: I'm pretty sure you'll run out fairly quick... but (depending on your power goals) we can try them out now and see what they really max out at for you. We can try to crunch some #'s an calculate it ahead of time if you want...
Old 05-02-2006, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by servion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I think that would be an excellent idea for you man

In your case, the main issue would be the injector size: I'm pretty sure you'll run out fairly quick... but (depending on your power goals) we can try them out now and see what they really max out at for you. We can try to crunch some #'s an calculate it ahead of time if you want...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds good man, I will get with you on this real soon.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Meat_Wagon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I'm running Precision 1600cc injectors. I forgot to ask at what duty cycle they were at. I know that the tuner had to tell the Hondata they were 1000cc to compensate for the e85.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats not good; he should have said they were 1600cc and then scaled everything else to match; i guess if he's the only one that touches them they're fine but your maps and numbers as far as percentages are going to be all wierd.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:27 PM
Go Tigers!

Default Re: (VTteg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The real benefits or E85 become apparent when you are running high compression engines on it. It is able to support ridiculosly high compression numbers. </TD></TR></TABLE>

like how high?

I'd love to have a 18:1cr d15
Old 05-03-2006, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats not good; he should have said they were 1600cc and then scaled everything else to match; i guess if he's the only one that touches them they're fine but your maps and numbers as far as percentages are going to be all wierd.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're right, but the thing that matters to me is that it runs good and it runs damn good.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BSFC is doubled on methanol the other alcohol fuel is not too far off.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MidShipCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MidShipCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BSFC is doubled on methanol the other alcohol fuel is not too far off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

bsfc?

Quick Reply: Anyone playing with E85 yet in their turbo motor?