Notices

Anyone looking to do a dual stage boost control with Hondata...look here:

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone looking to do a dual stage boost control with Hondata...look here:

Thanks from Speed PHreak about last year, he posted these valves from Grainger that can be used with some MBC to create a staged boost control using a simple switch in the cabin (like the dual stage TurboXS).

http://www.grainger.com/Graing...citem=

Combining these valves with the speed controlled Nitrous control of the Hondata, Zdyne, or similar systems, you can have a staged boost control for traction at a very low cost!

Rough estimation of the cost...
- MBC (ball-spring style) $30
- 3 way solenoid - $30
- Vaccum lines - $5
- Brass barb fittings for the solenoid - $8

Around 70 bucks for a nice dependable staged boost control.

Description of the setup...
- Hook up 1 vaccum line from the solenoid from the boost source (intake mani/turbo..ect)
- Hook up 1 vaccum line from the solenoid with it in the off position to a tee that leads to the WG
- Hook up 1 vaccum line from the solenoid in the ON position to a MBC that leads to the Tee to the WG.
- Wire up the Solenoid to the ECU just like you would with the Nitrous setup.
- Configure the ECU to switch the solenoid at the desired speed.

Visual: (Just ignore the 2nd MBC...this is a 3 stage setup).

Old 04-13-2004, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone looking to do a dual stage boost control with Hondata...look here: (Bryson)

definantly a cool setup

saved this one to my notepad
Old 04-13-2004, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone looking to do a dual stage boost control with Hondata...look here: (THE_HX)

I made one of these a couple of months ago from a valve that i got off ebay for $12. Its on my SE-R right now and works great. The valves are rated to around 120psi so they will hold the pressure fine. I hookup up to my old factory fog light button "sleeper style" hahaha
Old 04-13-2004, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone looking to do a dual stage boost control with Hondata...look here: (ITR#1437)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ITR#1437 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I made one of these a couple of months ago from a valve that i got off ebay for $12. Its on my SE-R right now and works great. The valves are rated to around 120psi so they will hold the pressure fine. I hookup up to my old factory fog light button "sleeper style" hahaha</TD></TR></TABLE>

Werd.

But the idea of hooking it up to the standalone is so you don't have any buttons to press. Just set it up, and your golden.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone looking to do a dual stage boost control with Hondata...look here: (Bryson)

ooooohhhhh........... we have lots of these valves here at my work... just i just need to see what the operating range is... because we run 24v through them on our machines... but i think they have a 5-25v operating range... ehehehhehehe...
Old 04-14-2004, 12:16 PM
New User

Default Re: Anyone looking to do a dual stage boost control with Hondata...look here: (ScrapinSi)

im trying to picture this in my head.

So the low boost would be the setting your wastegate is at normally.... becuase the solenoid is running off wastegate and not the MBC
then when the solenoid is activated it will run off the MBC to control the wastegate and run at a higher setting?

so in a sense your low boost will be limited to water the spring is on the wastegate?
Old 04-14-2004, 12:22 PM
sh!t happens.

G

Default Re: Anyone looking to do a dual stage boost control with Hondata...look here: (calmweed)

weriod
Old 04-14-2004, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so the setting would be stock and "race" i guess?
Old 04-14-2004, 02:28 PM

it seems like a valid Idea....but....what happens when you wanna take off and you can't get to high "boost" for another 20 MPH's
Old 04-14-2004, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (zm_dawg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zm_dawg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it seems like a valid Idea....but....what happens when you wanna take off and you can't get to high "boost" for another 20 MPH's</TD></TR></TABLE>

you can set the hondata to have your a/c switch be your boost controller also.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone looking to do a dual stage boost control with Hondata...look here: (psileepR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by psileepR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im trying to picture this in my head.

So the low boost would be the setting your wastegate is at normally.... becuase the solenoid is running off wastegate and not the MBC
then when the solenoid is activated it will run off the MBC to control the wastegate and run at a higher setting?

so in a sense your low boost will be limited to water the spring is on the wastegate? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct. The low settting will be whatever you would get just with a line connected to the WG. The boost flows thru the solenoid but not thru the MBC. Then when switched by the ECU (or manual switch) the boost goes thru the MBC to the WG.

The lowest boost you will ever be able to run is regualted by your WG spring.

Turbo E...

in a sense yes...but the main purpose would be for traction. For example...Run like 6-8psi up thru 2nd (just find the max speed your in at 2nd, and have it change a few MPH after) then have it switch to 10-12psi for 3rd, 4rth...ect. This will allow you to get off the line reliably, and then still have the nice power to put to the ground in later gears.

zm_dawg...

Each setup would have to play around with it, and find the right speed that they should have the solenoid switch to high boost.

Also remember that you can setup the nitrous control so that it only kicks in with WOT...soo in a sense you will have your low boost (at no matter what speed your at) as long as your part throtal. This is a great thing for gas mileage.

You could also wire in a switch to basically convert the Solenoid to manual control which would allow you to keep it at either low boost, or high boost.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ScrapinSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScrapinSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you can set the hondata to have your a/c switch be your boost controller also. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup!
Old 04-14-2004, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone looking to do a dual stage boost control with Hondata...look here: (ScrapinSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScrapinSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ooooohhhhh........... we have lots of these valves here at my work... just i just need to see what the operating range is... because we run 24v through them on our machines... but i think they have a 5-25v operating range... ehehehhehehe... </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've seen a couple 24V valves using a 12V source. But I'm not sure all of the DC solenoids will work at 12V however.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been using a dual stage setup like that for several years. I used a Honda A/C idle control solenoid from an old school Civic (mine). It has three ports. No voltage, I get my wastegate set boost level (~5psi). Flip the switch, and it shuts and my MBC takes over and I get high boost. I have a small push button mounted to the floor underneath the throttle pedal stop, so it works a lot like an old kickdown linkage in an automatic car. Full throttle is low boost, but full throttle plus another 3/4" is high boost. It actually has a nice feel to it and is easy to operate.

-Chris
Old 04-15-2004, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (calmweed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by calmweed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i just found a 12VDC 4 port 1/8" NPT one on ebay i bid on. I did some searching on it, and it seems that these valves have a minimum PSI amount generally. Something in the 12-15psi range. Now my question is, since you are already at 1 bar(about 14.5psi) + your boost pressure does that mean the pressure in the line is 14.5psi+boost amount, or is it just the boost amount?

I would assume its the 14.5psi+the boost amount for the sheer fact people are using these valves and they are working well for them</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hrmm. Thats odd. Most of the Ones i've found are rated from 0-(some PSI).
Old 05-12-2004, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone looking to do a dual stage boost control with Hondata...look here: (ITR#1437)

neat post!!!!!!!!
Old 05-12-2004, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank u sir...
Old 04-27-2005, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bryson)

bring this back up..

So i would need that 3 way valve, to use my hondata nitrous control, to switch it into high boost at a certain rpm..??
Old 04-27-2005, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow...over a year ago. Damn, it seems like it was just yesturday.

But yes your correct. If you wanted a dual stage setup controlled by hondata, just wire up the solenoid to be turned on by the hondata's output.

I was going to use the Hondata to control this, but opted for just a switched shift **** instead. that way I can boost 15psi in 1st and 2nd, and then 30+ in 3rd, and 4rth.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That would be a sweet setup
Old 07-17-2005, 11:22 PM

Default Re: (SOHC_MShue)

*subscribing
Old 04-21-2006, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know im bringing this back from the dead but could crome or uberdata be used for control, open or close solenoid @ a certin MPH?
Old 04-21-2006, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (akira712)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by akira712 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know im bringing this back from the dead but could crome or uberdata be used for control, open or close solenoid @ a certin MPH? </TD></TR></TABLE>as long as either program has control of a 12v output, yes. Crome is still in development with that feature, and i stopped following Uber a long time ago so im not sure about that one