Notices

anyone with knowledge of cam gear settings, with non oem gaskets ? anyone

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone with knowledge of cam gear settings, with non oem gaskets ? anyone

I have a cometic head gasket for turbo setup on my h22a4, i was curious if anyone knew whether the cam gears should be set to stock or should be advanced? car has trouble starting and i was wondering if this could possibly be the cause. The thickness is not the same as stock, it is like three stock headgaskets combined together like a slinky, ill try to get some pics from the cometics website. thanks
Old 05-04-2003, 08:04 PM

Default Re: anyone with knowledge of cam gear settings, with non oem gaskets ? anyone (turbobboy)

I'll try to get this right...

Thinner = retarded timing (milling or decking)-cams are rotated slightly clockwise
Thicker = advanced timing (thicker gaskets)- cams are rotated slightly counter clockwise

So, if you have a thicker gasket, you'll need to adjust.

The connection is between the crank and the cams on the left side of the belt, not through the tensioner. With a thicker gasket, the cams are "pulled" counterclockwise.

If you sent the crank to TDC using a screwdriver in the #1 cyl spark plug hole, you can see how far the cams are off from where they are supposed to be.

Old 05-04-2003, 08:40 PM

Default Re: anyone with knowledge of cam gear settings, with non oem gaskets ? anyone (hybridsol)

thanks for the info, but now i got to figure out whether the cometic gasket I have should be advanced? it is thicker then stock, but ill try callin cometic to give me info on the gasket got me.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: anyone with knowledge of cam gear settings, with non oem gaskets ? anyone (hybridsol)

Are you sure? I always thought it was the exact opposite of what you posted. I should know the proper answer to this but always have to think about it. I always do it the other way. Don't forget Hondas' spin counterclockwise.