Notices

Anyone ever tried doing a puller fan on the FRONT of the radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever tried doing a puller fan on the FRONT of the radiator?

So I've been thinking about some options to make some more room in my engine bay between the turbo and radiator fan since I have the FullRace AC kit and the turbo inlet is about 1.5" away from the radiator fan and sucks in the hot air (I really can't fit a intake pipe on the turbo because of the lack of room so I just have a screen over it).

I've been thinking about it and with the radiator to the left in the engine bay, no air really gets to the front of it anyway so why wouldn't I be able to put the fan on the front with a shroud and make it pull instead of push (hence not pushing more hot air into the turbo?

Just a thought I've been having.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Anyone ever tried doing a puller fan on the FRONT of the radiator? (rota92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rota92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Fans on the front are a common thing, but you set it up to push through the radiator.

A buddy runs it this way and it's not an issue at all, but make sure you are pushing through the radiator or it will overheat.

The fan is there to draw air into the radiator, and to move it across. Nothing else.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I understand your "supposed" to have them set as pushers if they are on the front...Im wondering if it really matters since there is no air getting to the radiator anyway....I have an integra and I am pretty darn sure no air is geting to the radiator when I'm driving it...so why not just have it pulling hot air away from the turbo?
Old 10-09-2008, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Anyone ever tried doing a puller fan on the FRONT of the radiator? (rota92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rota92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There is tons of air getting to the radiator lol

If you think pulling hot air from the engine bay, and forcing it out the front is going to solve anything it will just hurt you.

The radiator needs cool air, blowing hot engine bay air on it will worsen cooling. The hot air the turbo sucks in is negligible as it's compressing the air and heating it up anyway. Plus it's right near everything else that's hot as hell</TD></TR></TABLE>

True however I'd be able to more easily place some sort of intake pipe on the turbo to suck in cooler air. Just a thought lol...thanks
Old 10-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anyone ever tried doing a puller fan on the FRONT of the radiator? (totsie7944)

so your going to be pulling hot air through the radiator from the very hot engine bay, while having the cooling fans fight the incoming air coming through the front end... bad idea.

pushers work just fine mounted in front of the radiator... I use 2 pushers on my full length radiator and they work great. then make an intake pipe that locates your filter away from the radiator in an area of cooler circulating air.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:23 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rota92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Put the fan in front of the radiator, but as a pusher into the engine bay. The fan is gone, and you still cool things properly. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep that's what I'll do. thanks for setting me straight haha