Notices

Any wastegates out there that are shorter then the TIAL 38mm?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any wastegates out there that are shorter then the TIAL 38mm?

Hi guys,

I finally got around to installing my Revhard kit into my CRX w/ B18C. I was looking at how I wanted to do my wastegate. I have several options:

#1 install it directly to the manifold--problem with this is when I go to hook up my Apexi AVCR to the top TIAL nipple that nipple will touch my hood, maybe even keep me from closing the hood. I can swap out my TIAL 38mm for a shorter wastegate. What would you guys recommend? are there WG's out there that are as short or shorter then the TIAL but have the boost source nipple and EBC nipple both on the side? I saw a pic of a WG without a hole for the top nipple, but not sure what brand (turbosmart maybe?).

#2 install it sideways with the Revhard WG elbow--hood clearance is good, but the outlet points directly at my radiator. My dumptube would be rubbing onto the radiator since it is so close. The DT might not even fit between the radiator and WG. I can cut the elbow in the middle, clock the WG outlet until it points downward and reweld it together. However I'm still a beginner welder, but at least if this weld fails I wont overboost, I'll just looks boost.

what do you guys think?
Thanks
Old 06-07-2005, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Any wastegates out there that are shorter then the TIAL 38mm? (BlueShadow)

try turbosmarts wastegate.
http://www.turbosmart.com.au/

they are shorter and works great from what i hear.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any wastegates out there that are shorter then the TIAL 38mm? (eddyboy)

I searched google and saw a site that had height measurements so I'll compare that with my TIAL tomorrow. Does turbosmart have a mdel that has a smooth top though? The pics of the TS WG's I've seen had a small nut/bolt on the top.

EDIT: the .au site wasn't one of the ones I looked at. So the there are only two models of TS WG's? in the pics on the .au site I see that the WG tops are both smooth. Unless there is a hole on top that I cant make out.

thanks
Old 06-07-2005, 10:49 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: Any wastegates out there that are shorter then the TIAL 38mm? (eddyboy)

Yup, turbosmart.

I run the 48mm, but its way taller..hehe
Old 06-07-2005, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any wastegates out there that are shorter then the TIAL 38mm? (Arturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Arturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yup, turbosmart.

I run the 48mm, but its way taller..hehe</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha, I saw a pic of one of those and from the looks of it Id have to cut a hole into the hood for the 48mm to clear.

Old 06-09-2005, 06:21 AM

The Turbosmart Ultragate 38mm is shorter than the Tial. And it flows more then the Tial 38mm as well. The older Ultragates had a bolt on the top, the new ones are smooth on top.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (powerls)

thanks dood, I got your IM, I'm gonna run the TIAL just to get the car running and ot of the shop. In a week or two I'll switch out to an Ultragate.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:03 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Any wastegates out there that are shorter then the TIAL 38mm? (BlueShadow)

The turbosmart gate is what you want.
I have a brand new one for sale if you are interested.
Pm me
Old 06-09-2005, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any wastegates out there that are shorter then the TIAL 38mm? (White Smoke)

I've pretty much maxed out on my funds right now, so I have to wait until next payday before I can buy anything expensive.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can thank me later.

I'm very experienced in drilling and tapping, thread depths, etc..(former machine builder), on that note, if you are new to drilling and tapping, I recommend practicing on something first. I would have liked to have a thicker wall on the Tial housing, but it's not too thin to tap NPT 1/8", I used teflon tape to seal the threads.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any wastegates out there that are shorter then the TIAL 38mm? (Boondock Saint)

You could also use an aluminum fitting and have someone weld the fitting on as well.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any wastegates out there that are shorter then the TIAL 38mm? (Boondock Saint)

I dont know if I wanna drill and tap out my WG like that, even though it is a good idea. I dont know how or have the tools to drill and tap my own holes. And if the machine shop screws it up, then I'm out a TIAL WG. I would do it if TIAL or their dealers sold replacement parts, cause then I could just buy a spare one of those WG upper caps.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just go with the turbosmart, I have heard nothing but good things about their products.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any wastegates out there that are shorter then the TIAL 38mm? (EJ1 wilcox)

i might be wrong about this but don't a lot of people use 90 degree elbow on these type of manifolds?
Old 06-09-2005, 12:00 PM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boondock Saint: Thank you I was wondering the same thing...did you plug the original hole on top or did you leave it open?
Old 06-09-2005, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's a bad picture, but this is a 38mm Turbosmart:

It's supposed to be better than Tial, but I haven't heard of any Tial failures, either. It is shorter, though.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any wastegates out there that are shorter then the TIAL 38mm? (Dunc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dunc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Boondock Saint: Thank you I was wondering the same thing...did you plug the original hole on top or did you leave it open?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are welcome.....now think about that question for a minute...
Old 06-09-2005, 12:07 PM
BCICAN

I'm guessing yes haha Don't mind me, I just got done with exams and I'm packing up for home now....my brain isn't functioning 100% right now haha
Old 06-09-2005, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any wastegates out there that are shorter then the TIAL 38mm? (Dunc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dunc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm guessing yes haha Don't mind me, I just got done with exams and I'm packing up for home now....my brain isn't functioning 100% right now haha</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes it's plugged.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Any wastegates out there that are shorter then the TIAL 38mm? (USE2B16A)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USE2B16A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It's supposed to be better than Tial, but I haven't heard of any Tial failures, either. It is shorter, though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Turbosmart Ultragate 38mm wastegate has more valvelift then the Tial. Plus it is made from 253ma Investment cast SS. Tials are made from 347 sand cast SS. Turbosmart's wastegates have a 1 piece valve made from billet 253ma SS and Tial uses a 2 piece valve that is coated in a nitronic alloy or something. The Ultragate flows about 20% more and is smaller.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any wastegates out there that are shorter then the TIAL 38mm? (powerls)

Hey guys,

I had another question just in case I have to run my TIAL WG upright. The TIAL flange is a smidge wider then the flange holes on the Revhard manifold. I was thinking about taking the TIAL holes and making them slightly wider so that I can get the bolts in the holes.

How hard is that metal on the TIAL flange? I was gonna some of those cone and cylinder sanders for my dremel and just dremel the hole out a little. If that doesn't work I might cut some a slot into one of the sides so I can bolt it down.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:37 PM

Will the turbosmart be a direct replacement for a tial or a deltagate?
Old 06-09-2005, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Really. what's easier and prolly cheaper. Buy another wastegate then gonig through hassle of selling tial? or jsut buying an elbow and cutting the flange and rotating it then reweld so it doesn't come clsoe to your rad. Hell. you can even make the elbow easy if you have the flanges.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tchleung)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tchleung &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Really. what's easier and prolly cheaper. Buy another wastegate then gonig through hassle of selling tial? or jsut buying an elbow and cutting the flange and rotating it then reweld so it doesn't come clsoe to your rad. Hell. you can even make the elbow easy if you have the flanges.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's one of my options, but I'm afraid of messing up and having to buy another elbow. Another thing too that was bought to my attention was boost creep issues with the Revhard manifold and the elbow. If I mess up on rewelding the elbow I gotta have a backup plan, which is putting the WG upright.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:01 PM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Any wastegates out there that are shorter then the TIAL 38mm? (Sunlight)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sunlight &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Will the turbosmart be a direct replacement for a tial or a deltagate?</TD></TR></TABLE>

YES

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueShadow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Another thing too that was bought to my attention was boost creep issues with the Revhard manifold and the elbow.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whoever told you that most likely has no idea what they are talking about.
The elbow actually helps control the boost better. There is a lot of info about this on boosted-hybrid's site. It's been proven