Notices

Another susprise with the new motor, although it shouldnt be

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another susprise with the new motor, although it shouldnt be

Ok by now many of you know the story behind my current build, but even if you dont it dont matter, i will do cliff notes. I bought a used short block and used every thing from my last set up to make my current combo, of the new/used short block i left the crank rods and pistons rings and bearings alone, they are as i bought it. any way the old owner said he thought it had a blown head gasket due to it using water and center 2 cyl low on compression. well as i stated in my other thread the center 2 are still low. its 175 148 150 175 , any way its also still using water and this is where i would like to hear what you all think it could be. i will tell you what i know about it so far. It uses water at a decent rate, it steams out the catch cans and valve cover breathers when i shut the car off and its hot. if i allow it to cool all the way and pull off my down pipe and fire it up and rev it it spurts water out the turbine. oil is not getting into my radiator and water is not getting into my crank case oil. everything other then the short block is from my last build and it did not use water so that should rule out the head it self, and the CHRA water cooled jacket would not steam out valve cover so that can be ruled out. so after talking to john he thinks a sleeve may have sank ( benson ) or teh deck may be warped, this is all i can think of to however how is it that water can get in to evaporate but yet under full boost pulls i dont get any over flow puke? im taking it apart in a few weeks and just want ideas on where to zero in on based on these symptoms. tomorrow i plan on using a leak down tester to see if i can get any air bubbles in the radiator, but other then that i have posted all the data i have gathered. I want to add that my last set up ran for a year with 0 milkiness in my catch cans, this set up has already coated the lines and cans in only 350 miles. please post up if you think you can explain what is going on and if you have seen this before.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Another susprise with the new motor, although it shouldnt be

gremlins
Old 10-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha i wish it was that easy. i know this isnt exactly a FI only issue but since FI guys use sleeves more then NA guys i would post here.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

morning bump for help.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The "steam" from the catch can is most likely from. A big piston to wall clearance .0030 +. As for the water I would say its the hg or the deck of the block is warped.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by runsfromdacops
The "steam" from the catch can is most likely from. A big piston to wall clearance .0030 +. As for the water I would say its the hg or the deck of the block is warped.
allot of the blow by is from the PTW but some of it is steam, my catch cans and hoses are getting water in them and milky very fast, they never did that with my last set up.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok update used a leak down tester to get a better idea and cyl one was fine had 7% leak down, cyl 4 also fine had 6% leak down. cyl 3 had 15% leak down and pushed water out the radiator, cyl 2 25% leak down and slightly pushed water out radiator and wooshed air out valve cover breathers. so looks like warped deck, unless a benson sleeve has sunk which after talking to some guys is extremely rare.